August 27, 2014

And the highest-rated show in Comedy Central history is ... - VIDEO

by Bob Sassone, posted Nov 20th 2008 8:07AM
Jeff DunhamYou would think that the highest-rated Comedy Central show of all-time would either be an episode of South Park or one of the nightly news satire programs, The Daily Show or The Colbert Report. It's actually none of those. The biggest audience-getter was a Christmas special featuring various puppets.

The Sunday debut of Jeff Dunham's Very Special Christmas Special grabbed 6. 6 million viewers. South Park held the record before and is now in second place.

To put the 6.6 million in perspective, that's the number of average viewers that The CBS Evening News with Katie Couric had the week of November 10. Hannah Montana got 4.8 million viewers last week, while Monday Night RAW got around 4.5 million. Jay Leno's show got around 4.8 million viewers, and Saturday Night Live''s repeat from November 8 had 6.4 million viewers.

I don't mean to suggest that all shows/dates/times are created equal, but it's interesting to line up the different shows to see what kind of ratings Dunham's show got and compare them to other recent shows around the TV dial.

D-Bo

"Oh holy craaaaaap, I think I blew my foooot off"

November 21 2008 at 3:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rich

Yes, but how many above-average viewers does Katie Couric have?

November 20 2008 at 10:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bruce

Who the hell is Jeff Dunham? Dolls with silly mean faces, I totally get it... I'm sure all of America was laughing their fat stupid asses off simultaneously.

November 20 2008 at 3:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mail4bh

This show was absolutely hilarious. Usually there are 2 or 3 bits in his shows that leave me on the ground, laughing so hard I am unable to breathe. This show did not disappoint. Peanut kills me every time.

November 20 2008 at 3:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Drex

Prop comedy isn't comedy..

Unfunny comic is unfunny..

November 20 2008 at 2:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Danielle

Thanks! I didnt know about this special. Will def have to keep on the lookup on when it will reair and record it! DH and I love him! Hes hilarious!

November 20 2008 at 9:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
litehousebeacon

That was the funniest Jef-f Dun-ham special I have ever seen! And it remains just as funny every time I watch it! I have poliosis!

November 20 2008 at 8:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hollywood Ron

That show was HILARIOUS. If you didn't get to see it, you really should.

November 20 2008 at 8:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply