September 2, 2014

Smallville: Bride

by Brad Trechak, posted Nov 20th 2008 11:24PM
Smallville (S08E10) In an episode that started with an homage to Cloverfield, we finally get a look at Doomsday. Not surprisingly, he looks like he did in the comic books. I thought they were going to use CGI to create the character, but obviously, that was cost-prohibitive (we did get a nice CGI of the bones growing out of Bloome's hand). They settled for a rubber suit and make-up, a la Michael Chiklis in the Fantastic Four movies.

Only someone from Smallville would find it romantic to get married in the Kent barn. It did probably help save on the cost, though.
Talking about the end first: Was that Lex's back? Is Lex back? How can Lex be back? Michael Rosenbaum has pretty much abandoned the role (unless that was an elaborate ruse on the part of both Rosenbaum and the producers). Lex is alive, but is he rehired? There is a possibility: it might be that Lex is "changed" somehow and they hired a different actor for the role. They were planning to do something like that for one of the earlier seasons when Tom Welling's contract was up for renewal. It is pretty weak, though.

This twist certainly caught my interest. Is Lex the puppet master of this entire situation? Is he controlling Brainiac and Doomsday?

And now, Lana: When did Lana learn to fight? And what's with the new hairdo? Obviously, she's some sort of agent now, but for whom? Lex? One of his myriad of enemies? It doesn't seem likely that she would join Lex given their history, but who knows? If she's infected by Brainiac, then anything is possible. Her initial reluctance to go to the wedding may have had nothing to do with Clark and everything to do with Chloe (also an infectee).

When Lana appeared at the wedding, I thought "Well, I'm sure glad Doomsday will attack soon and prevent any awkward moments."

Doomsday walked a long way to get to the Fortress of Solitude. Why didn't Chloe freeze to death on the way wearing only her wedding dress? Maybe she had brain damage from the cold and that's why she was smiling at the end. Either that or Brainiac was re-infecting her.

It was a very Jurassic Park moment with the punch quaking. Yet again, the barn gets wrecked, and everyone ends up in the hospital. Their medical premiums must be through the roof.

I just knew the Kryptonite would play a role later in the plot. Why bring it up otherwise?

The Star City reference was cute (for those who don't know, in the comics, Star City is the home to Green Arrow). I wonder if Oliver will get involved with that plotline later? It would make sense if he did.

How could Oliver's assistant copy information from a router that wasn't even plugged in? Was he that good of a techie?

I don't know who Jimmy's friend was that worked the video camera, but he's not a very good digital movie editor. Lex was probably disappointed in the quality, as well. Of course, the guy is dead now, so it really doesn't matter.

We return next year with the Legion of Super Heroes. See you then.

So what's the deal with Lana?
Working for Lex.100 (19.7%)
Working for someone to fight Lex.163 (32.1%)
Something else entirely.245 (48.2%)

Metal Superman

Casting a new actor for Lex wouldn't be too far of a stretch, since he underwent plastic surgery in the comic books as well and it was right around the Doomsday arc too. I believe he said he was Lex's son or something like that. He was also dating Supergirl. Although, it's been a while since I read the comics, so my memory may be a little fuzzy, if not altogether wrong.

November 23 2008 at 12:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vince

Smallville has definately redeemed itself this season and its a total surprise. I didn't expect much w/o Lex, but the new producers have turned things around IMHO.

The barn wedding was never explained and except to save set costs, makes little sense.

Lois / Erica was fabtastic last night and should get an emmy for that performance. So many shadings in hwer expressions of doubt, love, etc. She has the Lois character down perfect! And I 've been a fan suince George Reeves' series.

Lana has been a kick boxer for a while I think. But the last time I remeber her she was still in the pycho ward with the white contacts brain dead. Did she get a little brainiac also like Chloe? And is it just the new hair do that's different? LL looks very mature to me since the last time.

And who texted her about tricking the Green Arrow into "buying it"? Was that remote controlled Lex w/ the wires out his head? Seems like the infected brainiac fortress has resurected a machine lex ala borg. And now chloe lana and lex may be the bad guys. Better than HEROS in my book.

Can't wait till Jan 09!

November 21 2008 at 1:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jastrom

Finally Smallville has a scene where no one is talking and it turns out to be one of the best scenes ever on the show. The Clark and Lois almost kiss was fantastic. Subdued is what this show needs. When the writers restrain themselves it's much better. This episode would've been perfect without the Cloverfield gimmick, it was not needed.

November 21 2008 at 11:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ConspiracyGuy

Convenient that Doomsday took Chloe to the fortress of solitude. Clark will eventually go to the fortress to ask Jor-el for help...only after searching the entire world for Chloe. LOL.

Green Arrow needs a better disguise. That hood is not cutting it!

November 21 2008 at 10:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott K.

Good episode (also helped by the recent showing on the Cartoon Network of Superman: Doomsday - not really related except by characters, I know). I agree Erica Durance is now officially the best Lois ever and this was the episode that cinched it. In fact, based on this episode alone, I'd honestly put her as my sexiest celebrity of 2008. When/if they do a re-reboot of Superman, she HAS to be given the opportunity to play the role.

On an unrelated note - this was the most disjointed episode review I've read on this site. Most of the questions were valid, but it just felt weird. Maybe it was just me.

And we really liked the song at the end.

November 21 2008 at 10:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Will

What a great episode!

I'm sure that was Lex at the end, but they wouldn't bring Michael Rosenbaum back for such a brief appearance.

Lana has known how to fight for a long time. I think Lex trained her.

November 21 2008 at 10:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Takashi Miike Myers

MDR-
Chloe was smiling because she was re-infected by Brainiac.
I think.
I've been really happy with this season, and wished they had done this three seasons ago, and avoided the whole Lana's a witch/guy from Supernatural season to have hurried it up.
Can't wait til Jan

November 21 2008 at 10:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dean

Great episode, but why was Chloe smiling at the end? Can't wait for the show to start again in January. I hope they wrap up this season with a solid ending because it's starting to look like the CW might be coming to an end.

November 21 2008 at 9:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Riley Freeman

yea last week they made it seem like this was going to be an entire violent action episode but nope they just tricked us and gave us 5 mins of doomsday. i was a lil pissed. i hated the fact there was a wedding in a barn. if that isnt ghetto i dont know what is.

i thought michael rosenbaum was supposed to be in a few episodes this season?

finally no future superman movie should ever be made with with someone playing lois aside from erica durance.

kate bosworth 2 thumbs down.

erica blows her our the water in every way shape and form.

shes a better actress
shes hotter
shes got a better body

and shes got lois personality down pat.

November 21 2008 at 8:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Riley Freeman's comment
Jimmy

I have to agree about Erica Durance. Kate Bosworth was a terrible choice -- one of many made by Bryan Singer in Superman Returns. Durance really does capture the character better than anyone since Margot Kidder. (I don't think we need to mention Terri Hatcher and the horrific Lois & Clark series).

November 21 2008 at 5:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jordan

I'm so glad they didn't CGI Doomsday. This episode was so huge! and so awesome! It had me on the edge of my seat! Davis is such an amazing character (Sam Witwer- an amazing actor) This episode was one of the best of the series!

BTW, it would sound appropriate to believe that the reason they married in the barn was because Jimmy doesn't get paid a lot for taking pictures and Chloe isn't working ( or does she get paid for working at Isis?) for both of them to have a much more expensive wedding (The CW Smallville Board-fans).
But overall, I thought the wedding was nicely planned (thanks to Lois) and shweet. :D

Lana learned how to fight from Lex during the earlier seasons of Smallville (when she was attacked by drunk guys and Clark came to save her)

They showed the kryptonite in the beginning not only to tie it to the story plot (when Clark gets thrown and lands next to it) but also to remind us that Chloe doesn't know of Clarks powers and his weakness against the green rock.

RIP Jimmy's friend