October 31, 2014

Survivor: Nothing Tastes Better Than 500 Dollars

by Jackie Schnoop, posted Nov 20th 2008 11:06PM
Sugar is more than a mere pin-up gal on Survivor Gabon
(S17E10) "This is going to be the funkiest night of your life. Wait for it. Wait for it." - Sugar

All in all, I found tonight's Survivor episode one of the most satisfying ones to date. And, that's talking a lot of episodes since I'm talking starting from the first season. Since I watch and write about so many reality television shows, I usually try to step back a bit and not get really involved in whom I want for the win or the folks I emphatically want booted sooner rather than later. That way I'm neither disappointed, nor do I personally jinx things. But I couldn't have planned tonight's episode any better than it went down. Read on!

When bad Randys go even worse
I don't like Randy. I haven't liked him since the season premiere. He's annoying, a bully, nasty, and I don't know why anyone would want him as their wedding photographer either! So, when his plan was to behave even worse tonight, I didn't think it was possible. Oh, but he did it. We've seen the "act bad so they'll vote me off" ploy used on other reality shows before with the ultimate goal not to be voted off. But Randy was so certain that Bob had the hidden idol from Exile Island that his plan was to stay while making buffoons of all of those castaways he despises so much. Well, he's the buffoon indeed. But I knew that all along.

I'm liking the Sugar-Bob quasi-alliance
Sugar is shaping up to be my favorite castaway this season. It's like she's naive about playing the game, yet truly very aware of gameplay and reads people well. Bob is my sentimental favorite as he's just such a cool guy with his now dirty bow-tie and all. He'd be such a longshot for the win, but I think he might have a chance in the finals now that he's hooked up (not in that manner!) with Sugar. He also reads people well and I think he knows that the inherent evilness from Corinne and Randy won't help him in the game unless he's in the final three with them -- and that's just not likely.

When Bob approached Sugar to tell her about the fake idol he made which no one else knows about at all, I had to fist pump. Yes! Then, as the episode went on, all the pieces fell in place. Sugar trusted Bob enough to get him to flip, giving Randy the fake idol as they voted him out. With Randy and Corinne trusting Bob's idol and so sure of it all, it was the best blindside ever at Tribal Council!

No way should Sugar ever be a poker player because she was giggly all through the Tribal Council. Only she and Bob knew what was going to go down, but Bob just looked very contemplative, then perhaps a bit guilty as it was revealed that the idol was a fake.

Cookies and immunity
The auction is usually fun-filled, but Randy kind of squelched all of the fun for this one. I couldn't believe his cookie rant, could you? Until Jeff reminded him the cookies were for the tribe, he had no plans to give the other folks any cookies. Well, maybe a cookie to his buddies, but that was it. I'm glad Sugar stood up to him. That girl has gumption for a pin-up blond Betty Boop doppelganger!

I'm not so surprised that Kenny won immunity. After all, he is a gamer. If Bob had held in in the first part, he might have made it on his physics knowledge. As for Kenny, he's kind of a weasly little rat sans any real personality, but he's playing the game well and he's only mean to mean people (so far).

The tribe has spoken
This was the most priceless Tribal Council ever! From Crystal knowing something was about to go down, but not what to Sugar's uncontrollable chuckling, it was downright perfect. Even Marcus and Charlie on the jury had to crack up about Randy's demise. Corinne looked uncomfortable, as she should be. It's a good vs. evil kind of season and she's one of the ones on the "evil" side. I so enjoy it when mean people get their just dues. It takes me back to my childhood when I would wish it would happen yet the mean folks often ruled the roost.

In the promo for next week, is Bob making up a story to cover his fake idol or did Marcus leave one?
He's trying to cover himself with Corinne531 (79.3%)
Marcus really hid the idol from the beach139 (20.7%)

Survivor' Photos
    NEW YORK - MAY 11: Winner Parvati Shallow attends the Survivor: Micronesia Finale and Reunion Show at the Ed Sullivan Theater on May 11, 2008 in New York City. (Photo by Scott Wintrow/Getty Images) *** Local Caption *** Parvati Shallow Getty Images NEW YORK - MAY 11: Survivor contestant James Clement attends the Survivor: Micronesia Finale and Reunion Show at the Ed Sullivan Theater on May 11, 2008 in New York City. (Photo by Scott Wintrow/Getty Images) *** Local Caption *** James Clement Getty Images NEW YORK - MAY 11: Survivor contestant Jonny Fairplay attends the Survivor: Micronesia Finale and Reunion Show at the Ed Sullivan Theater on May 11, 2008 in New York City. (Photo by Scott Wintrow/Getty Images) *** Local Caption *** Jonny Fairplay Getty Images NEW YORK - MAY 11: Survivor contestant Ozzy Lusth attends the Survivor: Micronesia Finale and Reunion Show at the Ed Sullivan Theater on May 11, 2008 in New York City. (Photo by Scott Wintrow/Getty Images) *** Local Caption *** Ozzy Lusth Getty Images NEW YORK - MAY 11: Survivor contestant James Clement attends the Survivor: Micronesia Finale and Reunion Show at the Ed Sullivan Theater on May 11, 2008 in New York City. (Photo by Scott Wintrow/Getty Images) *** Local Caption *** James Clement Getty Images NEW YORK - MAY 11: Survivor contestant Amanda Kimmel attends the Survivor: Micronesia Finale and Reunion Show at the Ed Sullivan Theater on May 11, 2008 in New York City. (Photo by Scott Wintrow/Getty Images) *** Local Caption *** Amanda Kimmel Getty Images NEW YORK - MAY 11: Survivor contestant Amanda Kimmel attends the Survivor: Micronesia Finale and Reunion Show at the Ed Sullivan Theater on May 11, 2008 in New York City. (Photo by Scott Wintrow/Getty Images) *** Local Caption *** Amanda Kimmel Getty Images NEW YORK - MAY 11: Survivor contestant Eliza Orlins attends the Survivor: Micronesia Finale and Reunion Show at the Ed Sullivan Theater on May 11, 2008 in New York City. (Photo by Scott Wintrow/Getty Images) *** Local Caption *** Eliza Orlins Getty Images NEW YORK - MAY 11: Survivor contestant Eliza Orlins attends the Survivor: Micronesia Finale and Reunion Show at the Ed Sullivan Theater on May 11, 2008 in New York City. (Photo by Scott Wintrow/Getty Images) *** Local Caption *** Eliza Orlins Getty Images NEW YORK - MAY 11: Survivor contestant Ami Cusack attends the Survivor: Micronesia Finale and Reunion Show at the Ed Sullivan Theater on May 11, 2008 in New York City. (Photo by Scott Wintrow/Getty Images) *** Local Caption *** Ami Cusack Getty Images

Tiffany

So, I think that this is an awesome season of survivor. Yeah, it sucks that Kenny and Crystal are in control since I can't stand them, but it's still pretty interesting. I am rooting for Sugar all the way. Go Sugar!

November 23 2008 at 9:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MERVE-THE-PERVE

I really hate how Survivor kept on flipping the tribes up over and over until they fix it so the 3 lamest ones are in control of the game. It makes everything so random now. Why not have them change tribes for every immunity challenge? Or just play musical chairs to see who gets voted out. They need to add Outluck to Outwit, Outplay, and Outlast since being lucky with the 20 tribe reshufflings per season is becoming an important part of winning nowadays along with being a weak physical player.

November 23 2008 at 1:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to MERVE-THE-PERVE's comment
Eric

The only reason the 3 weak players are in power, are because the strong made mistakes, at the last tribe member shake up, the strong alliance had the numbers on both tribes. Becuase of their mistakes they are getting voted out, not due to blind luck. They got outplayed.

November 24 2008 at 10:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JDog

BEST.TRIBAL.EVAR.

This blindside beats the back to back to back blindsides during Fans v. Favs.

One thing that will be interesting is during the previews for the next ep, it looks like Bob (perhaps at the direction of Sugar?) is trying to go two for two to convince Corrine that he has another idol - the one supposedly thrown way in the ocean. Can he really convince Corrine or will Corrine be that gullible?

As was suggested, he voted for Susie so he can easily play it like "Gee Corrine, I thought it was a real idol. I never would have voted against our alliance. Sugar must have made a fake idol and that's the one I found."

I just don't buy that he'll be abel to convince Corrine that Marcus was able to "palm" the idol in front of Randy who was right there with him in the ocean. Why would Bob know about an idol and the others - like Charlie - not know.

Anyway, cannot wait for the remaining eps - I think it's down to Sugar, Bob and Matty in final 3.

November 22 2008 at 1:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
davidm3825

I agree with everything Vic said. Bob is pathetic for doing this. He couldn't even look over at Randy.
The greatest line of the night came from Randy to Matty - so you don't have a problem finishing 5th.
And Matty knows this too. This is why he's all over Kenny. You think they were boyfriends the way he always has his arms around Kenny. Suzie has a better chance of getting farther ahead of Matty.

November 21 2008 at 4:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

Friggin' awesome!!!! That ugly slug has finally been removed from the game. He was a bad person, a bad player, and an ugly soul, and this was one of the best Survivor episodes ever. I was actually shouting "YES!!!!" at my TV. Priceless. Randy... Buh-Bye. Go back to your boring, miserable, bitter life.

November 21 2008 at 3:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rhode

Oh no! It looked like Jeff threw Bob's fake idol into the fire! That could have made a lot of money for the pediatric AIDS foundation that they sell things from the show at the end of the season.

November 21 2008 at 3:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pdfb

That was straight up ENTERTAINING television. It was a little mean but I really don't blame Sugar since randy was just awful. He disrespected Susie in an unacceptable manor when he told her to, "STFU". And his racist rants against Crystal and GC were weak and pitiful (much like Randy).

The flip from smug to dumbfounded on Randy AND Corine's faces was worth every second of every other crappy reality show that was spawned by Survivor.

November 21 2008 at 2:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
zoorgersgirl

This was the best episode of this season!!! I have to agree with Crystal - Randy IS a troll!!! I would never want such a vile person around me, he exudes hatred and negativity. This was the best blindside yet. Bob did well with the "idol" - yes, he felt remorse for the double-cross, but he did the right thing. He's shown that he is a team player. I do not believe that Sugar is as naive as she lets on. She does have a tendency to show her emotions, especially when she votes a tribe member off. But that shows she's truly a good person and doesn't want to hurt others. It's true, that Crystal has not shown the athletic side I thought she should have, but that's okay, she's still in the game and that's what matters. Corrine is just as mean as Randy. She's not as vocal about things as he, but she is a conniving back-biter! But, she's basically alone now, can't wait to see how she tries to suck up in the future. Kenny has surprised me, he's stronger and more mentally focused than I thought. Maddy - I'm not so sure about, he's hard to read. One day he's with Randy, the next he's with Kenny, Crystal and Sugar - a little wishy-washy. I'd watch him. Suzie seems nice, but I'm not sure I'd want her with me at the end... Looking forward to the remainder of this season!

November 21 2008 at 11:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Boris

Now this is a real Survivor Season....Like many have said ....probably one of the best.

Is it just me or is Crystal just the least able person in Survivor history.

I don't think that there is a nice guy left among the Survivors. They are all snakes. Who do you guys think will win the fan Fav.

Looking forward to more interesting tribal councils

November 21 2008 at 9:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lauch

I really am enjoying this season. The underdogs/losers now have the upperhand, and really, anyone that has gotten over-confident and downright pompus has gotten it in the end (except Kenny....though there's still time here). I really like how all the way through, there's this team winning everything..over and over and over. The losing team was just completely distraught...and it seemed like there was no hope. And then, things fell just the right way...Marcus, Charlie, Randy.....and within one episode, I went from thinking Crystal and Kenny were completely done for to seeing them take the upper hand.

My only complaint is that I really can't stand Crystal or Kenny or Suzie. They really are idiots and don't have "game" in them at all. Crystal was an olympic medal winner!! Have you ever seen her do well in a challenge? At the beginning of the season, I thought that she would be the one to beat based on her history, but she really stinks at everything. Not coordinated, not athletic, not smart. How did this woman win anything?

I want Sugar to win, though she has tendency to be a little too naive at times and she goes with her emotions waay too much. This is good to root for, but in the game, this will end your run quickly. Good luck Sugar...I'm rooting for you!

November 21 2008 at 9:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply