September 16, 2014

Worst. Peanuts special. Ever. - VIDEO

by Bob Sassone, posted Nov 20th 2008 6:10PM
SnoopyHere we are in the time of year of the holiday specials. And many of them are Peanuts specials. We've already seen It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown, and coming soon are A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving (next Tuesday on ABC) and A Charlie Brown Christmas. Those are the good ones. What you're about to see if a bad one.

Whenever there is some hot, hip pop culture trend, you see everyone adopting it. That's why James Bond went into freakin' space in Moonraker. The damn success of Star Wars and other space films. It happened to Snoopy too, in It's Flashbeagle, Charlie Brown. Yup, Snoopy and Franklin and others donned sweats and break danced in this special from the 80s, as you can see in the video after the jump.

What's most disturbing isn't the headbands and the lousy disco music and the fact that the thing was made in the first place (though those things are bad), it's the fact that this special shows adults. They're aren't supposed to be adults in Peanuts specials. They're supposed to be off-camera, voiced by horns. The adults in this special don't even look like the same species as the little Peanuts characters. And you just know that in between songs at the disco they're dancing in they went off into the bathroom to do coke.

[via Scrubbles]

David

Why do people hate this special?

Apparently, the Big 3 (Schulz, Mendelson, Melendez) wanted to appeal to the younger people who were into stuff like "Flashdance" and what-not. I think it got mixed reviews, but I'm not sure.

What I do know is that "Flashbeagle" is a LOT better than the "Pied Piper" one. Why can't people question about that?

November 30 2008 at 12:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MIke

That's a very unsettling bookend to Snoopy's status as a renaissance beagle. Figher pilot, home run champion, prolific mystery novelist...disco drag queen.

November 27 2008 at 6:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Aura.

I was about 10 when Flashbeagle came out, and it's always been my favourite Peanuts show! Keep in mind that it came out smack dab in the heyday of the Minipops and Alvin and the Chipmunks, and Friday Night Videos - singing along to poppy kid singers was cool. Plus, it was fun - Participaction didn't have anything on the hopping around we did trying to follow I'm in Shape, Lucy's the Boss and Pigpen's Hoedown!

November 21 2008 at 11:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LaTissa D

Im literally afraid to watch this...I feel like my childhood and love for Peanuts will be ruined...

November 21 2008 at 9:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rocketboy_X

Race For Your Life Charlie Brown! is a pile of awful as well, but not as bad as this.

November 21 2008 at 8:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Saavik

Sorry, but I've always loved Flashbeagle. I've been waiting desperately for it to show up on DVD and was very happy to find that it's been included as an extra on the iTunes version of A Charlie Brown Christmas.

November 21 2008 at 12:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DK

Are you kidding me? That's awesome! I'm surprised there isn't a meme of this by now!

November 20 2008 at 8:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
james

I remember this coming out and being so stoked that there was a new Charlie Brown cartoon. I think this began the end of my Peanuts cartoon affection. I still LOVE the Great Pumpkin and The Christmas special but the rest are nearly unwatchable.

November 20 2008 at 7:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tony

OMG that wasn't entertaining in the least. What were the creators thinking?

I've always hated Peanuts and moreso than ever after watching this.

November 20 2008 at 6:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply