October 21, 2014

ABC cancels Pushing Daisies, and I hate everyone

by Kona Gallagher, posted Nov 21st 2008 12:23AM
pushing daisies
Look, this isn't my first time at the rodeo. I knew going into this last year, that the chances of a quirky fairy tale about death having long-term success were slim-to-none. I've seen the signs; I've known that this day was going to come. That doesn't mean that I couldn't hope that ABC would decide to keep Pushing Daisies; my favorite new show from last season. I've held out hope, and today, that hope was dashed. What's worse, is I can't even focus all of my anger on ABC; some of it is pointed directly at Daisies creator, Bryan Fuller.

I'm trying to be mature and diplomatic about this, but seriously: Bryan Fuller can suck it.

In a time of crisis like this, I don't want to hear about your new (old) job, or how you're super-happy that you "put together 22 really good episodes, and there is a lot to be proud of," and I certainly do not want a damn comic book. I know that after Wonderfalls, 22 episodes seems like a lot, but I do not want your "hey, we had a nice run" brand of practicality. I want you to get pissed.

I want you to call ABC President Steve McPherson a dick and start sending pies to NBC headquarters to try and get them to take you like ABC took Scrubs. I want you to fight for your show, not talk to DC Comics about continuing the story-- unless it's a companion piece to the TV show that will soon be airing on another network.

I want promises; even if they're false. Yes, talking about a Pushing Daisies movie is a good start, but it's a little premature. I only want to hear about a movie after you've exhausted all other avenues. After you've gone to the CW and told them that you can adjust the show so that it takes place four years in the future at an elite East-Coast boarding school.

A movie is great and all, but it's only two hours. I want another 22. Why settle for the silver when you can at least go for the gold? Don't give up so easily. People are still bitter about the cancellations of Arrested Development and Veronica Mars because we spent months hearing stories about those shows living on on another network, even though we knew deep down that it probably wasn't going to happen. Now, we get ridiculously excited when there's even a whiff of a rumor about those shows coming back as a movie. We want to be strung along; it keeps the show alive. Saying that you gave it your best shot does not.

Listen: all I'm asking you to do is act like the Piemaker for a minute. Just try to bring Pushing Daisies back to life, and if something has to die in its place, well... there's a little show called According to Jim that maybe you should go stand next to.

Jerry

Is a shame in America where a show as the likes of Pushing Daisies must compete with absolute crap.

February 08 2009 at 5:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mark

Yeah, this is a total slap in the face. Here you go viewing public, we are going to take a smart and different show and give you this old dried up one in return. Happy viewing!
ABC SUCKS!

January 13 2009 at 1:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mark

I so glad that we as american viewers lap up what ABC has gifted us when they foolishly took pushing daisies off the air. Now we are going to be subject to more caustically redicualous and disgusting shows like wife swap, true beauty, the real housewifes of who cares, and the 39th season of american idol. Thanks ABC and thanks to all the american viewers. WE do lap up those shows like a dog laps up his own vomit.

January 13 2009 at 12:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
erin

why is it that a year after year desperate housewives keeps going, it's by far the most stupid, inane, horrible show, yet a great intelligent yet totally unreal in a good way show like dirty sexy money, is cancelled, i only hope some exec. wakes up and takes at least one of those horrible dancing shows off and brings back dirty sexy money or it gets picked up by a cable network where most of the only good show are on anymore!

January 10 2009 at 3:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Isabel

I agree 100%. How disappointing is it when the writer gave up before we did... what does that say about him? How was he even able to make us fall in love so hard with he's project when clearly HE doesn't believe in it!... I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who feels betray...
I want my PD BACK! I want to see my Piemaker every week... and if I can't the least Fuller could have done for us was fight to the very end, so he didn't killed the hope in us...
I am very disappointed, and I'm very pissed... I hate Heroes ALWAYS HAVE ALWAYS WILL... and Fuller's speech about how "great is to come back" instead of talking care of the fan base THAT STILL IS FIGHTING FOR HIS SHOW... PISSED THE HELL OUT OF ME!

January 01 2009 at 8:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Isabel's comment
mark

I have to agree. Im not disappointed anymroe that Pushing Daisies got a raw deal, I'm Pisees off too. I am SO tired of good shows getting cancelled because of the idiotic secret society of the Nielsens. Since the advent of the internet those ratings are as obsolete and tube television sets. Hey ABC we have your focus group right here. All you have to do is listen

January 13 2009 at 12:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
heith

i wrote bryan fuller a note saying he should just have his own network - then he could do whatever he wanted. oprah called hers, 'OWN'. bryan could call his 'BFF'...bryan fuller forever. ha.

December 31 2008 at 1:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
evenenders

Heros can suck it! ABC can suck it! And yes I agree Bryan Fuller can suck it too! Wonderfalls and Pushing Daises were the best things on TV and I loved him for them. He broke my heart with Heros.

I'm disgusted by the trend of cat-fighting-skanky girl TV shows and the other trash that's on TV these days and was excited when PD made it the the 2nd season. I wanted to believe it would make it. I want whimsy, creativity and beauty as well as a strong story line in my shows. It was the only show I was willing to sit through commercials for.

I've sent letters, emails, signed every petition and harassed other networks like AMC to try to pick up this show.

Spread the word and don't stop fighting.

December 31 2008 at 12:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bryn

isnt ghost whisperer and medium the same fucking show?
what is the difference??? really? i have a visions of shit happening...big deal. such garbage.

i'm done with tv, now its dvds and reading more books from now on....fu abc.

December 31 2008 at 11:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bryn

Great article. ABC has just really kicked eveyone in thepants this time. i grew up watching a lot of decent shows ont here, and the one i just get into, goes.
good jobs abc execs. f u brian i'm-a-cool-writer-and-have a big ego to just shrug a show a fair amount of people are into. good job. now i have nothing to watch anymore.
i just picked up the last dvd at borders last night of Season one. maybe if those sales peak, something will be brought back to life as well.

December 31 2008 at 11:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply