August 21, 2014

Two new posters for the Star Trek movie

by Brad Trechak, posted Nov 22nd 2008 3:02PM
UhuraTwo new posters have been released for J.J. Abrams' upcoming Star Trek movie reboot. They are of Zoe Saldana as Lieutenant Uhura and Eric Bana as the evil Romulan Nero. Large versions of both posters can be seen here.

Zoe Saldana looks to me the spitting image of the young Nichelle Nichols. She does carry a different hairdo than Nichols (more ponytail than bouffant) in the classic Trek but even her hairstyle seems like one women would have worn during that era. It's retro without seeming dated. Of course, unlike the original series, based on the trailer, we know that this version of Uhura will be taking off her shirt at some point.

Eric Bana's character seems like some sort of biker or a cast member of The Road Warrior. What's with all the tattoos? My idea of the Romulans differ slightly than the director but after seeing the kick-ass trailer in the theaters, I have more faith in Mr. Abrams' vision.

Usama

I thought Uhura (TOS) was pretty, not so much hot, but then I was like 10 or 11 when I watched TOS. I'm 24 now and I find this Uhura as well as the TOS Uhura hot.

I'm a big fan of Star Trek (not so much that I dress up or go to conventions, but I've watched every episode and movie and own most of the seasons) and I'm excited about this movie. I am worried about how much of what makes Star Trek so great has been cut out to appeal to bigger audience, but I'm hopeful that not much was. I don't want to know either way because I hate spoilers.

November 22 2008 at 5:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
d-man

the two guys who wrote this movie are huge trek fans. you have to be crazy to see the trailer and hear them talk and not be excited. just stupid stubborn trek fans that act like they are open minded and can see the world when they are really very narrow minded and closed off.

and uhura was very smokin' in the original series. i've never heard anyone argue that before.

this movie has what a lot of trek fans have wanted... story, character PLUS kick ass sfx and budget. it's about time. the only thing that could ruin it ironically is stubborn childish die hard trek fans that are so closed minded they won't be able to enjoy the movie even if it's great.

November 22 2008 at 5:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to d-man's comment
Joey Geraci

What makes you think they have focused on story or character? Have you read the descriptions of the scenes they showed to reporters? You can't tell me those scenes sound like a classic Star Trek adventure, or anything Star Trek fans would like? I don't want to spoil it for you, but the scenes shown so far don't make sense.

November 23 2008 at 11:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joey Geraci

What exactly about the new trailer has you trusting anything that comes out of J.J's mouth?? You do know what made Star Trek great? It certainly wasn't special effects or cleavage, it was a thinking man's adventure, it was characters, it was story. Every single piece of info released about the movie so far shows they could give a crap about all of the above, and have focused their attention on effects ($150 million worth) and cleavage.

No true Star Trek fan would be encouraged by what we have seen so far about the new movie.

November 22 2008 at 4:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
3 replies to Joey Geraci's comment
YouFaceTheTick

"Zoe Saldana looks to me the spitting image of the young Nichelle Nichols."

Yeah...um...if Nichelle Nichols were ever hot I could see that.

November 22 2008 at 3:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to YouFaceTheTick's comment
Joey Geraci

Son of a Bitch!!!! Did you see the original Trek. Or even in the Trek movies, (for an older woman), Uhura was most definitely hot. Something has to be wrong with you not to see that.

November 22 2008 at 4:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
knight

Don't worry, Nero's just not "any" Romulan. I mean, he's not really representative of the Romulans of this era. You can even notice in the trailer that he was a resident at the Klingon's Rura Penthe prison (the same from Star Trek VI) so I would assume that's where he got his tattoo.

November 22 2008 at 3:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply