September 2, 2014

Saturday Night Live: Tim McGraw/Ludacris and T-Pain - VIDEOS

by Annie Wu, posted Nov 23rd 2008 12:20PM
T-Pain, Tim McGraw, Ludacris
(S34E09) I had my doubts about Tim McGraw, since musicians hosting kind of freak me out and country music is inherently scary to me. Thankfully, the redneck humor was pretty limited, Tim McGraw only sang once, and his over-the-top enthusiasm was marvelous. A lot of the sketches felt underdeveloped, but McGraw jumped head first into every character and sketch, which made even the worst jokes a little more bearable. Check out some video highlights after the jump, plus a web exclusive sketch!

"Clear Rite": Oh, man, they could have done so much more with this sketch. I mean, instead of going the chickening out with the fake commercial route, placing the weird retainers in some bizarre social context would have been hilarious. Have I mentioned how sad I am about Kristen Wiig's nose job? Remind me to deliver a solid face-punch to whatever idiot placed the kernel of doubt in her mind, making Wiig think that her nose was ever a problem.

"Turkey Day": Obligatory Thanksgiving Day sketch? Cute idea, terrible writing. They could have pushed this so much further. I guess what I'm asking for is more senseless violence against delicious, human-sized turkeys. I liked that Fred Armisen was wearing his glasses, though.

"Dwayne and Bond": I feared they would resort to giving McGraw a character like this. And they did it. I guess it's just a personal preference, but these types of characters annoy me more than they do amuse. Again, I'll give credit to McGraw for his enthusiasm, which made things a little better.

"Weekend Update": New girl Michaela Watkins made herself known in this episode, but we still haven't seen anything from Abby Elliott apart from one or two brief, virtually silent appearances in other sketches. It was good to see Watkins's Arianna Huffington, which was almost spot-on. She definitely could have pumped up that weird Huffington adorable-ness. Darell Hammond stopped by to do Bill Clinton next. When are they going to let this man go home already?

"Dateline": Bill Hader is hilarious, but this didn't feel like enough material for an entire sketch.

"Blizzard Man": Ludacris did host/musical guest double-duty way back in 2006, and in that episode, we first met Blizzard Man. It didn't surprise me that he returned, because the basic formula is open enough to make things interesting every time. Ludacris and T-Pain did so beautifully in this sketch, they totally should have hosted this episode together. I cracked up every time T-Pain's lines trailed off into mumbles of frustration. Some of the Blizzard Man's lines were pretty good, including "I throw a silver dollar and a lady gets hurt!" Injury humor! Yes!

Web Exclusive (Rahm Emmanuel): I wonder if they bumped this because of the danger of slipping in a curse word? Or maybe it was a time issue? I thought it was pretty funny.

John Malkovich is hosting next time (December 6)?! What?! My brain just exploded. He's hosted twice before, but the last time was in 1993. It'll be interesting to see how he works with this group.

stro1

Did anyone else notice McGraw passing gas at 2:15 of the Bond skit?

November 24 2008 at 4:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan German

Stop using Hulu! It sucks. There are people around the world who read this!

November 23 2008 at 9:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
StillBash

This show was meh. The advertising sketch was the best of the whole evening and it is a bit sad that McGraw, even though he did a superb job acting, was left with such boring material.

At least none of the sketches were annoying.

November 23 2008 at 9:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tony

I loved the automaker opening. It's almost an accurate depiction of how pathetic the actual car executives are with their hands out.

As for McGraw, meh. I wasn't expecting much so I guess he delivered. That redneck Bond skit so unfunny it was pathetic. Can't have McGraw on the show without featuring him in a redneck skit. Great work as usual, SNL writers.

Nosejob or not, Wiig is still the best castmember on the show.

November 23 2008 at 5:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Toby OB

They should have brought in Paul Simon to make a cameo during the turkey sketch, a tip of the hat to their classic past!

November 23 2008 at 2:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Toby O\'B

Not only should they have left in the Rahm Emmanuel sketch, they should have led off the show with it. That would have been a hell of a lot funnier than their car-makers and Congress sketch.

November 23 2008 at 2:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Toby O\'B's comment
Joey Geraci

Absa-fucking-lutely!! That certainly was as strong as anything we saw tonight, and far funnier than some (gay annoying bartender was nauseating). They should have moved the Big 3 sketch onto the web, and started with Rahm.

That Rahm sketch was probably Andy's strongest sketch in quite a while, in that he didn't have to resort to annoying singing (which is sometimes funny, but more often annoying), or annoying exhibitionism.

Really, Andy, if your reading, you should focus on sketch like that Rahm one, and less where you are just annoying and silly.

November 23 2008 at 3:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jasonmccready

"I had my doubts about Tim McGraw, since musicians hosting kind of freak me out and country music is inherently scary to me. Thankfully, the redneck humor was pretty limited, Tim McGraw only sang once,"

Can you try to keep the anti-rural bigotry to a minimum please...

November 23 2008 at 2:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to jasonmccready's comment
Paul

Anti-rural bigotry? Really? Associating disliking country music/Blue Collar-style comedy with racism and bigotry really a fair comparison?

November 24 2008 at 6:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
shadowracer

I didn't notice Wiigs new nose, but she has never been too "visually appealing". The new girl Michaela - hot. And the impression of Huffington(also hot) was spot on, that other sorta new girl, wilson?, is on her way out, she offers nothing. Anyway, more Michaela.

Bobby was good in all of his sketches, give him some time and he'll start bringing the funny hardcore.

McGraw was awesome I was expecting a train wreck, he actually did a good job with his line delivery. T - Pain was way better, surprised the hell out of me.

The Bond sketch was OK, it's a good premise. There might have been a few other points they could have hit though.

The less Samberg the better(outside of the Wahlberg sketch he's not funny), so I liked this episode.

November 23 2008 at 1:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Zachary

Zell Miller in Weekend Update? Has he done anything since the 2004 RNC? Do people even remember him?

Annie, that Rahm Emanuel clip was a perfect excuse for you to link to last week's Stephen Colbert roast to benefit the Spina Bifida Association.

November 23 2008 at 12:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Zachary's comment
Annie W.

I feel like I'm unable to associate that Roast with anything apart from this too-amazing picture:

And yeah, I definitely remember Zell Miller because A) he's old-school crazy and B) the last time Will Forte did an impression of him, I thought he was going to have a heart attack.

November 23 2008 at 1:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Adam

Being from Georgia, Zell Miller will be forever relevant. However, I think Joe Lieberman out-Judased him b/c Miller wansnt as relevant a Liberman. The fact the Saxby/Martin race was mentioned gave me pride as a Georgian.

November 23 2008 at 3:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
superrrguy

I think SNL thinks that all political humor is funny no matter what it is. Sarah Palin was funny. It was hard to mess up. Tiny Fey as Sarah Palin was just a bonus. Most of these political scetches suck. For some reason I thougt this was kind of funny but I think it was the last time I laughed. Tim McGraw tried hard and made it slightly better but I think it's time for me to just wait for people to email clips rather than waste any time watching the entire show.

November 23 2008 at 12:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply