December 17, 2014

Do you like your Batman served sunny side up? - VIDEO

by Mike Moody, posted Nov 24th 2008 10:10AM
Batman The Brave and the Bold Plastic Man Dinosaor Island
Talking apes! Alien leeches! Laser-shooting blob people! You'll never catch The Dark Knight rubbing elbows with such kooky company on the big screen. To see that, you'll have to tune into Batman: The Brave and the Bold, the new animated series on Cartoon Network.

Two episodes in and I'm loving this lighter, zanier take on ol' Bats' crime fighting adventures. It reminds me a lot of ABC Family's The Middleman, which itself was somewhat inspired by the campy 60s Batman TV Show.

Unlike Christopher Nolan's The Dark Knight and the darker Batman cartoons we've seen before, which I also love, Brave and The Bold takes place in that colorful comic book world where anything (did I mention the talking apes?) can happen. There's no Commissioner Gordon, no Gotham City and no Robin (not yet, anyway). Instead, Batman is paired up with a new DC hero every week, and he does his thing in bizarre locales like "Dinosaur Island" or outer space.

So far, The Caped Crusader has teamed up with Green Arrow (for a few minutes), Blue Beetle, and my favorite, Plastic Man. Rumor has it that The Flash, Jonah Hex, and even Bat-Mite will join Batman for a few upcoming eps. (I'm thinking about starting an online petition for the inclusion of Color Kid, the most colorful hero of them all). Some might say that this show is just for kids, but older geeks can enjoy it just as much as younger ones. It's fast-paced, funny, and it captures the spirit and creativity of some of the lighter comics I used to read when I was a kid and now appreciate as an adult.

Check out the show's great and goofy intro featuring some swingin' theme music. Can you dig it, or do you think the Dark Knight should stay dark?

Batman: The Brave and the Bold airs Friday nights on Cartoon Network.

Oscar

They have used the talking apes on Justice League and JLU.

November 24 2008 at 11:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Franklin

I like this show. (And I also enjoyed the last animated Batman series, The Batman, too.) It illustrates how versatile the Batman character has been through the ages. Can you name another popular comic book superhero that has been successfully depicted in so many different artistic and narrative styles? (Not even Superman has pulled this off well.)

I'd like for Warner Animation to produce another animated Batman series for an older audience -- one based on the anime style of the direct-to-DVD movie that was released this summer. (Such a Batmanime series could air on AdultSwim.) I think there's enough interest and of an audience for two differently styled Batman series right now.

November 24 2008 at 10:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kevingarcia

I have no problem with goofy, light-hearted Batman, though I'm glad the dark and serious version has gone mainstream with Dark Knight. More than anything though, I'm surprised Warner is willing to take the risk of kiddifying the character's newly adult image.

November 24 2008 at 7:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
brian.stuart

While the Timm Batman got some dark undertones come Batman Beyond and to a slightly lesser extent Justice League, it bares mention that the original Batman: TAS and its reboot were dark in visual aesthetic but not so much in tone. I'll grant that it wasn't Adam West territory, but compared to what "dark" usually means for Batman, these shows portrayed a very different Bruce Wayne. He often showed a sense of humor. You was genuinely fatherly with Tim and Dick. He wasn't a perfect father, but who ever is? The flaws were quite human, but his relationship with them was mostly touching. The planted some seeds which paid off with the dark tensions of Batman Beyond, but viewing the early work on its own (which is certainly how one did when they were on) they really split the difference between camp and dystopia, between Adam West and Frank Miller. I rather liked their take on Batman and I still consider it the definitive representation of the character, as well as for nearly every supporting character. I mean, I loved Nolan/Ledger's take on The Joker but the Timm/Hamil interpretation was classic while still forward looking.

I haven't caught Brave and the Bold, but I'm not writing it off yet. Outside of "The Batman", I've found most DC's recent adaptations pretty strong, if not achieving the narrative unity of the Timm-verse.

November 24 2008 at 2:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tobias

It's a refreshing change for Batman. Not what you'd expect, but fun...Reminds me of REM's shiny happy people...dunnadudunadundumdeedumdeedum

November 24 2008 at 1:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chaim

i was sure I'd hate this fluffy, happy go lucky version of batman, but its really good. It's not too cheesy, it's campy like middleman, good comparison. Plus, Batman isn't happy go lucky, he's just as serious and stone faced, its just in a more cartoony colorful comic book world.

I LOVED LOVE blue beetle, I wish he had his own show. It could be like static shock

November 24 2008 at 1:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Monty

As a Batman fan I was really looking forward to this new show now that the great JL/JLU is gone. Love the opening, love the design and love Diedrich Bader as the voice.

Thought the first episode with the "updated" Beetle was a big disappointment after the cool intro with Green Arrow. However, I loved the Plastic Man episode. Enough, with the teen hero stuff, the new Spiderman show is horrible as was Legion of Superheroes.

They've kid friendlied this up enough, keep the heroes the same too. Would love to see an Ambush Bug team up.

November 24 2008 at 1:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim Nelson

Don't get me wrong, the Bruce Timm/Kevin Conroy Batman was a thousand different kinds of awesome, and I'll always love it, but it was time to do something new. I'm really enjoying B&B. It's fast-paced and fun, and it proves that a more light-hearted take on Batman can work, unlike those crappy 1960's/70's Batman/Superfriends cartoons.

November 24 2008 at 12:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chrysee

That intro is very cute. Reminds me of Cowboy Bebop and The Incredibles. I won't watch it, but it sounds like fun.

Although seriously, the mid-90s Batman: The Animated Series is still the best Batman incarnation ever.

November 24 2008 at 11:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bad Mojo

I missed the first one *kicks himself int he arse* but I really like it.

Sure it's a bit on the light side, but it's still Batman and he still has his "batitude." And it is far better than the crummy version of The Avengers that runs on Disney.

So count me in as a fun. Plus it's great to see the other, less mainstreamed, heroes mixed in with the colossal awesomeness of Batman :)

November 24 2008 at 11:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply