November 21, 2014

Hulu offering more HD content

by Mike Moody, posted Nov 25th 2008 1:19PM
Heroes Hayden Claire It's ComingThis news might actually get me to start watching Heroes weekly again.

This week, Hulu.com bulked up its free HD Gallery to include new episodes of Heroes, The Office, 30 Rock and all of Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog in 720p high definition. I just streamed "It's Coming," last week's ep of Heroes, and it looked great on my 25-inch iMac. I'm no tech wiz, but I can easily see the difference in visual quality between the site's HD offerings and its regular streaming content. (Too bad HD can't work the same magic on Tim Kring's script.)

I don't have an HD TV. I usually watch my favorite shows on an out-of-date 20-inch box. So, from my perspective, Hulu's HD content looks pretty amazing. It's the greatest thing to happen to TV since last night's ep of Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles. Yes, I have a short attention span.

There are a limited number of HD offerings so far, but Hulu is expected to add more shows and possibly movies as viewership increases. Unfortunately, you can't embed any of Hulu's HD content on your own blog or site, unlike most of its offerings.

If Hulu is taking suggestions, I'd like to nominate Bones, House and 24 for inclusion in the HD Gallery. Maybe then I'll have a reason to watch those shows more often. They can add Sarah Connor to that list too. That way, I'll have a somewhat legit reason to watch it more than once a week.

hello

I can view HD in my computer just fine

November 25 2008 at 5:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

I found a new beta site that offiers nicely organized movies and tv shows and updates them on the HOUR. http://www.ovpulse.com kind like my Yahoo for movies and tv shows, they also sport overlay 'chat' while watching a movie or tv show...

November 25 2008 at 5:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TeenWolfie

I can view these HD videos in full screen on my computer. Maybe you guys should try another browser, i'm using Firefox for mac.

November 25 2008 at 3:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LoganT

First, you have a 24" iMac. And second, while HD Hulu is cool, I really wish you could full screen the video. In fact I don't understand the reason we can't do that now.

November 25 2008 at 3:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nhex

For some reason, when you watch the eps in HD on Hulu its pops up a new window AND disables fullscreen mode on the player. For shame.

November 25 2008 at 3:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tobias

I watch my shows on a 20 inch out of date television too...Kudos!

November 25 2008 at 3:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris

Welcome to 3 and a half months ago. At least research before you post something as new.

November 25 2008 at 2:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Chris's comment
TeenWolfie

I might be wrong, but as far as I know, the site just added all these new eps recently. The first graph of the article you linked to reads "Hulu said it has added high-definition versions of several episodes of full-length television shows." Notice the "said it has added" not "has added". Again, I could be wrong, but these are brand new HD eps.

November 25 2008 at 2:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
driftwood

Yeah you can definately tell the difference.

On my computer at least, if you watch standard and you click high-def there's a second where it still plays in standard and switches to HD. It's great to be able to see that difference.

November 25 2008 at 2:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bob

FOX.com streams Sarah Connor for free in HD.

November 25 2008 at 1:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply