September 20, 2014

The Big Bang Theory: The White Asparagus Triangulation

by Kona Gallagher, posted Nov 25th 2008 11:34AM
big bang theory
(S02E09)
Dr. Sheldon Cooper, FTW? Maybe, but this episode... eh. Not so much. While it had its funny moments, overall, I thought this was one of the weakest episodes so far. I talked last week about my fear of this devolving into a show about Sheldon and the ridiculous things he says, and that's pretty much all we got this week. Even his interactions with Penny at the beginning of the episode, which are usually the best part of any episode, felt kind of flat to me.

Sheldon's complete and utter inability to relate to people on a normal human level is where most of the comedy on BBT comes from, but it only works when it's surrounded by the rest of their characters and their own sets of awkward mannerisms. When it's just The Sheldon Show, the fact that you're watching a sitcom in which actors are paid to read funny lines becomes more glaring.

Now don't get me wrong; I didn't hate this episode or anything, there were a good number of funny moments, one of my favorites being Penny's shout-out to the craptastic Sandra Bullock/Keanu Reeves movie, The Lake House. Not only is that a really random reference, but the idea of her making Sheldon watch it is kind of hilarious. Although I was disappointed with the fact that we didn't get to hear any more about Leonard and Penny's doomed relationship, since I really think the show moved on from that storyline too quickly.

In fact, it looks like we're going to get a lot more of the Leonard/Stephanie relationship than we ever got of the Leonard/Penny one. I don't mind this new romantic interest of his, I was excited when Sara Rue appeared last week, but if they're going to continue it, they need to give her more to do. All she did this week was sit around looking mildly uncomfortable with Sheldon's antics. Her most interesting actions, her Facebook dealings, all happened off screen.

Raj and Wolowitz were also criminally underused this episode, which added to the awkward, empty feel. Hopefully for the next new one, the gang will all be back together to spread the geek love, instead of leaving it all to Sheldon.

Some of my favorite lines from this episode:

Sheldon: Tell me what you see here.
Leonard: The blunt instrument that will be the focus of my murder trial?

"She's sending virtual livestock to random men on the internet." --Sheldon

"I need to know exactly what Leonard did that caused you to pop an emotional cap in his buttocks." --Sheldon

"You know what? I'll tell you what happened. We were young, we were very much in love, but we could only communicate through a time-traveling mailbox at my lake house." --Penny

"Well, if you want to guarantee his appeal to Stephanie, your best bet is to kill all the other men on the planet." --Raj

"You seem like a perfectly pleasant person. I can't understand why women have such a hard time loving you." --Sheldon

"If I am permitted to speak again; Dr. Sheldon Cooper, for the win." --Sheldon

ginrigby

There is no such thing as too much Sheldon. :)

November 30 2011 at 8:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TL

Does anyone know what t-shirt Sheldon is wearing? :)

__/__

December 04 2008 at 12:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TL

Does anyone know what T-Shirt Sheldon is wearing in the beginning?

December 04 2008 at 11:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Riley Freeman

i finally got to watch this episode. last night. i missed the original broadcast for the first time since the show started. anyways i liked it. sheldon is really what makes the show funnier cuz hes just so weird. eventually they will need to tackle him and women. i dont think anyone can go without sex their entire life. it seems that sheldon may be a virgin.

movie theatre and opening scene were classic.

one thing i never understood. why do tv shows have people waitin only about 5 seconds before they knock or ring the doorbell again? sheldon wasnt even 5 seconds but i notice in all shows this happens

November 27 2008 at 12:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mj

This was such a hoot. My son and I couldn't stop laughing. I love Sheldon, and I'm sorry you don't agree, but he makes the show. Leonard is just too whiny, trying not to be what he is: a geek. Why be ashamed of it? I personally would love to hang out with these guys. I can relate to Sheldon, Raj, and even Howard. Leonard, not so much.

November 26 2008 at 8:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan

Was this even a recap? I didn't read one thing about what happened in the episode.

While I agree that the show is very sitcommy, it'd still be nice to read a reviewcap with a recap and a review and not just the review.

November 26 2008 at 12:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rtms

Agreed it was too much Sheldon and it got awkward after awhile. He's good when he's interacting in small doses with the others. You can do a Sheldon centric episode without getting too much of him. For instance when his sister came to visit was a good episode.

Penny really is being underused now, she's there for the occasional comic relief and not much else. She doesn't have to have a romantic relationship with the others to have more time. She works well when they are all together, as you get to see how contrasting she is with the guys which leads to more comic situations.

November 26 2008 at 11:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim Kosmicki

I saw Stephanie as being very tolerant of Sheldon, not irritated. Didn't she even say "it's sweet" at one point? She never looked nervous or concerned about any of Sheldon's antics. Because of this, she may actually work as a match for Leonard. Does anyone know how many episodes the actress has been signed for?

November 26 2008 at 10:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tom Horn

I thought the whole anchor of the show was really Leonard's 'relationship' with Penny. It's drifting away from that now, and I'm not sure in a good way.

Still, this week's episode was one of the funniest I can remember. The 'blunt instrument' line was delivered perfectly ... :o)

November 26 2008 at 9:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GL

Too much Sheldon is too much.

I happen to like that they went straight to the Leonard/Penny relationship and right passed it in short order. No spending passels of episodes on the inevitable and no awkward show-ruining bullcr*p.

November 26 2008 at 8:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply