August 1, 2014

The Sarah Connor Chronicles: Strange Things Happen at the One Two Point

by Brad Trechak, posted Nov 25th 2008 10:19AM
Sarah Connor Chronicles: Strange Things Happen...
(S02E10)
The nice thing about being a Terminator and dying is that provided the body isn't destroyed, you could always come back. Although how Cromartie came back at the end was a bit of a shocker.

My review is going to ramble somewhat. I'm writing this after imbibing some rum. It's what separates us from the machines.

Come on, people. When Ellison saw Cameron stick the metal pole into the ground, you'd think he'd be somewhat suspicious. Perhaps that will be a plot point later.

Since when is John so good at making fake IDs? I guess after their previous provider died last season, he's had to learn some new skills. Note that her pseudonym was Sarah Gale, which is another Wizard of Oz reference. On a tangent, I like how they did Sarah's and Cameron's hair for the business meeting.

I wonder if Jesse's concerns are legitimate and John is becoming a bit of a mama's boy. He seems more independent than that.

Boyd Sherman made a very brief cameo this time. Then he died. A common occurrence around the Connor clan.

When the businessman's son mentioned that his mother died in 1984, I cannot help but wonder if she was one of the victims of Arnold's rampage in the original movie (which was released in 1984). That would be ironic.

Linda Hamilton looked older than 19 in the original movie when she conceived John. I'm not sure if that little factoid was a case of retconning or simply a little white lie that Sarah told.

After the last episode, I thought we'd never see Riley again and her story was done (but then, I thought the same of Cromartie). I knew there was something up with Riley when she was first introduced. I was particularly suspicious when I learned she had a foster family. I originally thought she was Catherine Weaver in a different shape. I was incorrect about that, but she is an agent from the future (an unstable one at that).

Please. No more Duran Duran references, ever.

During the course of the episode, the big mystery was whether the Turk or Babylon (a.k.a. John Henry) would end up being Skynet. While the end of the episode leans towards John Henry (particularly given the final scene), I wouldn't count the Turk out quite yet.

An important lesson of the episode: don't screw with Sarah Connor. She beat up two different guys in the episode. Granted, neither were exactly soldier material, but still...

I have a few questions: how did the security camera have power to record Boyd Sherman after the building power went out? And why didn't Cameron notice the deficiencies of the chip while they were all eating at the dinner table? Perhaps she didn't have enough time to look closely at it.

I'm also still clueless as to exactly why Jesse was sent to the past. Is she there to spy on John (with the help of Riley)? Is she there to stop Catherine Weaver's plans?

I enjoyed the episode, particularly the "holy crap" ending. If they keep surprising us like this, perhaps the show will survive to a third season (on a side note: I wonder if Fox moved it to compete with Battlestar Galactica, which returns in January). I certainly hope so.

What is Jesse's mission in the past?
To spy on John118 (34.7%)
To find Catherine Weaver14 (4.1%)
None of the above208 (61.2%)

Gossip Girl' Show & Cast Photos

Actress Leighton Meester attends the Gotham Magazine Leighton Meester cover party at Marquee on September 27, 2008 in New York City.

Duffy-Marie Arnoult/WireImage.com

Duffy-Marie Arnoult/WireImage.com

Leighton Meester attends the Gotham Magazine/Leighton Meester Event sponsored by Jose Cuervo Platino at Marquee Nightclub on September 27, 2008 in New York City.

Brian Ach/WireImage.com

Brian Ach/WireImage.com

Brian Ach/WireImage.com

Leighton Meester attends a Gotham Magazine celebration at Marquee on September 27, 2008 in New York City.

Michael N. Todaro/FilmMagic.com

Michael N. Todaro/FilmMagic.com

Blake Lively on location for "Gossip Girl" on September 22, 2008 in New York City.

Bobby Bank/WireImage.com

Cynthia Sparer, Dr. Herbert Pardes, Leighton Meester, Alex Cohen and Pamela W. Barnes attend the Kids for Kids celebrity carnival benefiting the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation at the Park Avenue Armory on September 20, 2008 in New York City.

Jason Kempin/WireImage.com

Actress Leighton Meester attends the Kids for Kids celebrity carnival benefiting the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation at the Park Avenue Armory on September 20, 2008 in New York City.

Jason Kempin/WireImage.com

Phish

i think the power for the cameras was left on because the AI intentionally killed dr. sherman.

November 26 2008 at 10:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bruce

Does NOBODY see the problem in Cromartie still having the same voice (the voice of the actor, whose name I forget at the moment) even though his chip was destroyed by Sarah Connor? He should have the default robotic terminator voice ("I need reconstructive surgery... now."), if anything. They made a point of showing how Cromartie copied the actor's voice (and then smashed and killed him). Clearly the voice data is saved in the terminator's chip. Cromartie should not sound like that actor guy now that he's been fixed and given a new chip.

This really bothers the hell outta me.

I've loved this show since day 1, but I'm not sure I like the direction it's been taking the last few episodes. I really don't like the Weaver angle, and I think Ellison should be and remain a FBI agent (or in some form of law enforcement).

Also, there are enough paradoxes in any time-travel story without them having to send Weaver back to create skynet. Which came first, skynet or skynet's future time machines? Come on. Yes, I'm assuming that's what Weaver is doing. It sure looks that way, especially since she's a murderous terminator (then again, so is Cameron).

Anyway, Cromartie's voice should be back to his default voice, and should NOT be the actor's voice seeing as how his chip was destroyed.

I figured Cromartie would have turned himself back on, rebooted, and dug his way out of the ground because his model had a backup chip in his robot-ass that the Connors didn't know about. That would make more sense and be more plausible.

November 26 2008 at 11:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to bruce's comment
Chad W Smith

The voice is a seriously minor point... But, Remember this is a cyborg, not a robot. Yes, the machine part can override the human part to give it whatever voice you want, but the "default" voice could - in theory anyway - be determined by the human part - you know, the voice box. And since the human part is based on the body of the actor, (not the actor playing the robot, but the character of the actor in the show), John Henry's voice coming through the cyborg would be that of the actor.

November 26 2008 at 3:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan

Brad, I don't think we're meant to assume that the Turk and John Henry (the Babylon project) are different AI's. Weaver didn't start Babylon until after she received the Turk, and the project was a complete surprise to all her department heads, especially the later-skewered AI division head, so there was nothing in development. There was never any doubt in my mind that the Turk (the first AI described with moods) developed into John Henry.

Re: BSG, I believe that T:SCC, Dollhouse and BSG are all airing at different times on Friday, so they will hopefully complement rather than compete with each other.

chrissthomas, the interrogator Cameron in S02E04 spoke of a machine faction apart from Skynet, which could have been a ruse or the truth. Sometimes the best ruse *is* the truth. We know from the movies that terminators can be set to learning mode, so I would think the longer a terminator was in the field, the more independent it would become, as we've seen with Cromartie and Weaver.

November 26 2008 at 10:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Richard

Interesting last comment there by chrissthomas. I suppose that the movies pre-condition us into viewing the plot in a certain way and if the series is to work it will have to break out of that in some way eventually.

November 26 2008 at 9:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chrissthomas

Wow, here is a theory I want to see what you guys think. Weaver is not here for skynet, if she is why is skynet so interested in programming itself with morals? What if she is there trying to create another AI to rival Skynet? What if the machines aren't as unified as we thought and there is a bit of a civil war going on? Am I missing something to make this impossible?

November 26 2008 at 12:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Franklin

I theorize that Weaver is in fact a good Terminator. (She probably didn't kill the original Weaver and her husband, but simply took Weaver's place after an accident killed them both.)

So what's her mission? It's to protect Skynet, but also to reform it, help Skynet to get along with people, so that in the future Skynet and the Terminators will hopefully coexist peacefully with humanity.

Now this plan doesn't necessarily jibe with what Sarah, Derek and the human resistance in the future wants -- they just want Skynet destroyed. But John Connor (future and present) may be sympathetic to this.

And this, in turn, can explain why Jesse and Riley are in the present and what their mission is.

November 25 2008 at 9:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Franklin's comment
Erik

Assuming your theory is correct: Just because she wants SkyNet and humans to play nice doesn't mean she's above killing a few people to make that a reality. She did kill one of her own employees in the first episode. She may see killing the real Weavers to be an acceptable loss for a better future.

November 25 2008 at 11:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BC McKinney

Yes, Linda Hamilton looked a lot older than Sarah Connor was supposed to be. I think this has been discussed a lot, but there is no white lie or retcon. In the T2 movie, Sarah's medical records give her age as 29, and John's juvie record gives his age as 10. I presume this is why Lena Headey is made up to look like a 45-year old trying to look her own actual age of 35.

Thomas Dekker looks a lot older than 16, too--that's why the phrase "suspension of disbelief" was coined. Katherine Hepburn and other actors of Hollywood's classic period were often cast in roles 20 or more years younger than their actual age.

November 25 2008 at 8:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CJC

Sarah's "business" hair/outfit: eh.
Sarah's "out on the town" hair/outfit in the first scene: Rowr!

November 25 2008 at 2:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chad W Smith

You missed a lot of it... a whole lot.

Jesse is not there to spy on John, or to find Weaver. She is there to destroy the relationship between John and Cameron. The "her" that John Conner of the future is spending too much time with is not his mom - it's the metal, Cameron, or one of who knows how many versions of her there are. That's why she's brought back, (which - how could miss that?), Riley from the future - so Riley could become John's love interest, and not Cameron.

Ellison knew exactly what Cameron was doing when she told him to go back to bed. Or he knew enough not to bother her.

The power didn't go off all at once. The power went off, the generators kicked on - which powered key systems like security, including doors and camera, and climate control. Then John Henry started re-routing the power to save itself. The camera still had power until John Henry turned everything else off. The last shot of the good doctor laying dead on the floor is from when the power came back on.

Jesse is bad, and should be stopped. She's from a different future than Derek, and there's no way to know what all that means. But she's not there to stop Skynet, and that means she's no good.

Cameron couldn't tell the chip was fake at the resturaunt because she didn't see it. The son took the chip, which was in a box, looked it at very quickly, and then shoved it in his pocket.

November 25 2008 at 1:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kim

I really wish they would develop the relationship between John and Derek. Derek is John's uncle, after all. Beyond that one episode when Derek took John to watch present time Kyle and Derek play ball at the park, the relationship has been ignored. Derek has become a glorified bodyguard when he should be so much more. John could use a strong male role model and I'd like to find out more about what Kyle was really like.

November 25 2008 at 12:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply