October 21, 2014

NCIS planning a spin-off

by Allison Waldman, posted Nov 26th 2008 2:04PM
Harmon NCISConsidering the fact that CSI has been the basis for two very, very successful CBS spin-offs -- CSI: Miami and CSI: New York (in case you've been out of the loop for the past six years) -- it hardly comes as a shock that another CBS ratings powerhouse, NCIS, is planning a spin-off. Maybe the only shock is that they've waited till now to really put thought into action.

EW's Michael Ausiello landed the exclusive and reports that the NCIS spin-off will be like the other CSI's in that they will not take a character from the show and make him/her the centerpiece of that new series. That means you don't have to worry about Ziva, Tony, Abs, McGee and Gibbs breaking up.

And after the fans' reaction at the end of last season, when the team was split up as the new director took over only to be reunited early this season, that's a major relief.

When I first learned about this spin-off, I, too, wondered if it might be one of the core players -- a new version of Quincy, M.E., only called Ducky, M.E. and starring David McCallum? Or maybe DiNozzo, CSI-P.I., with Michael Weatherly in the spotlight wearing Tommy Bahama Hawaiian shirts and growing a flattering mustache?

The answer is no and no. The spin-off will use NCIS as a platform to introduce a new Naval investigative unit or personnel, something procedural, and it's still just on the drawing board and coming together. It's likely that if things go well, by the end of this season, the new characters will be part of an NCIS episode. That, in effect, will be the pilot.

Interestingly, this is exactly how NCIS came to be. In the spring of 2003, the Gibbs and Ducky characters appeared in a two-part episode of JAG.

Now, I suspect that some of you might be wondering why TV needs another procedural. I hear you, but as I wrote recently, NCIS is not just a procedural and overall is a darn good show. If the spin-off is as good as the original -- or even better, as Frasier was to Cheers (in my opinion) -- all the better.

jw.sexton

if it aint broke,,,,dont fix it,,,,,

January 17 2009 at 7:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cray

Bad move, NCIS is nothing more than JAG meet's CSI. Don Bellisario doesn't know how to make shows that DON'T revolve around one man. NCIS is weak team show compared to CSI or even Law & Order.

It has only survived because the weak time slot its shown and is lead or followed by CBS's main event programming.

November 27 2008 at 2:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to cray's comment
Eric

I could not disagree with you more. I love the team dynamic on NCIS, its what makes the show so great in my opinion. Of the three shows you mentioned if I could only watch one, I would pick NCIS every time. and I enjoy CSI and Law and Order.

Also I thought that Don Bellisario stepped down from running the show last year.

November 30 2008 at 11:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
shamon

sweet this show is as good as jag so here to another spin-off

November 26 2008 at 10:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
KevinInChains

cool, i'll check out this NCIS spinoff. Now i wanna see that spinoff!

November 26 2008 at 7:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim Reeves

You forgot to mention that both Tony and Abby also showed up in the JAG episodes.

November 26 2008 at 3:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nickmagoo

to say frasier was better than cheers is like saying aftermash was better than mash. well, maybe not quite that drastic, but you get my point...i mean, frasier wasn't bad, but cheers acheived a level - characters, writing, acting - that very, very few can come close to. and frasier doesn't (to me).

November 26 2008 at 2:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Viv

Whew....as long as nobody from the current team is split up, i could care less. I was very worried for the Dinozzo character since he showed us he could lead a team. I still have a fear that they will split up the team.

November 26 2008 at 2:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply