July 28, 2014

What are your Turkey Day TV traditions?

by Bob Sassone, posted Nov 26th 2008 3:09PM
Kate and AllieAre there TV shows and/or movies that you watch every Christmas? If you're like me, you try to catch It's A Wonderful Life, Miracle on 34th Street, Bad Santa, A Charlie Brown Christmas, Rudolph and other specials. And on Halloween we have, well, Halloween and It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown.

But what about Thanksgiving? Do you have any TV traditions for this holiday?

I have a few. I watch all of the Friends Thanksgiving episodes, of course, along with the two West Wing Thanksgiving episodes I've written about here. I also watch the Kate & Allie Thanksgiving episode where Allie invites her ex-husband and his new wife (played by Wendie Malick) for dinner and a lot of guests are called away and Allie and the new Mrs. Lowell have to have a talk about marriage and affairs and being a wife. That's a Thanksgiving tradition in my house, too.

What about you? I mean besides the stuff that's on the TV when you're cooking, like football and the Macy's Parade.

Brent McKee

Doesn't bother me what you call it - I'm Canadian and we've already had ours.

November 27 2008 at 4:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sdm

I watch Martin Scorcese's film The Last Waltz, perhaps the best concert film of all time. Great music. Great food. Can't beat it.

Happy Thanksgiving,

sdm

November 26 2008 at 6:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to sdm's comment
MrsLaFitz

The Last Waltz is a great film but our tradition is to watch and/or listen to Alice's Restaurant!

November 26 2008 at 8:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Galley

It's Thanksgiving Day pizza and a movie, for me.

November 26 2008 at 6:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jen

Without a doubt, WKRP in Cincinnati's Turkey's Away. Funniest Thanksgiving episode ever!

"As God as my witness, I thought turkey's could fly."

November 26 2008 at 6:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steve

My wife and I watch all the Friends episodes, WKRP, Cheers, and Thanksgiving themed movies, "Home For The Holidays", "Dutch", and "Planes,Trains and Automobiles".

November 26 2008 at 5:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Emily

It's called Thanksgiving and Turkey Day at my house.

We watch the Macy's Day Parade while getting the feast prepared then movies in the afternoon.

Our tradition is to play the movie Scrooge (which is a very good musical version of A Christmas Carol which stars Albert Finney) while we put up and decorate our tree. My hubby is no fan of musicals, but likes this one.

The best Thanksgiving television program has to be WKRP's Turkey giveaway episode. Oh, the humanity.

November 26 2008 at 3:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dave

It's called Thanksgiving, Bob. Not turkey day.

To answer your question, no tv on Thanksgiving.

November 26 2008 at 3:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Dave's comment
Andrew

Isn't Thanksgiving a day where you eat turkey? There's no rules on what you can and can't call it are there?

November 26 2008 at 5:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eric J.

It hasn't been a tradition for a number of years, but Turkey Day was when I discovered MST3K, and I wish it was still an option.

November 26 2008 at 3:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply