April 25, 2014

Rosie Live now among the living dead

by Danny Gallagher, posted Nov 30th 2008 12:05PM
It seems that the show NBC hoped would revive the variety show format was getting an autopsy before it even had a chance to get off of the operating table.

E! Online reports that Rosie O'Donnell said her live variety show, the cleverly named Rosie Live, won't make it past the first episode, or as she so cutely wrote on her web site, "there will b no more."

The one and only episode of Rosie's return from TV purgatory was dismal, to say the least. Friday's Wednesday's episode only drew 5 million viewers, despite the appearance of high profile celebrities like Alec Baldwin, Alanis Morissette and Ne-Yo to help them forget the fact that they were watching a show where Rosie O'Donnell is the star.

Then when Rosie couldn't set herself up for more disappointment, she asked her own web site viewers to ask how they think the show really went or as she put it, "Gimme Ur Take." Enough with the cutesy-wutsy typing. Her keyboard probably comes with a lowercase "i" that replaces the dot with a hand-drawn heart.

The reactions were mixed, but her equally unskilled typing fans did not hold back. SusieQ wrote, "Unfortunately, I didn't really like it. Some of the jokes were not family oriented. Stage was too dark. The mystery door got annoying after awhile. Once is enough, then its not a surprise anymore." Well maybe if she named it the "Not-At-All Surprising Door," the bit wouldn't have worn thin so quick.

Tammy wrote, "Let me preface by saying I love you, your comedy and the things you do. But, sorry, Ro, it seemed forced and stilted and rushed. I felt slightly uncomfortable watching it. Sorry." Wow, you know it's bad when one of your own beloved fans says she's felt "uncomfortable" watching it. I guess her non-fans must have been feeling the physical effects of the Black Plague while they flipped past it.

The suspiciously named Barb W wrote, "Oh Rosie I liked it!! I knew others wouldn't because we have been bombarded by reality tv. It was amazing 2 see talent again instead of people getting drunk, fighting, & hooking up." Yeah, who wants to see something that's fun and exciting and entertaining anyway?

Frankly, the whole revival effort was doomed to fail from the start. Stop trying to bring back the great old shows of yesteryear, and come up with a concept that some network in the future will want to rip off in the hopes of "reviving" it once again for the small screen.

NOTE: The air day of the show has been changed from Friday to Wednesday. TV Squad apologizes for the error.

bhebert48

Rosie is a slob, sorry but that is not a flip response , but backed up by her actions and life style.

December 18 2008 at 10:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mel

Mr. Gallagher,
Was it necessary to use that unflattering picture of her? Surely there are better things to post and write about than Rosie's failure... especially when you know it's going to be a catalyst for a personal attack - that photo invites it.
The show was awful, it missed the mark and there won't be any more.
I generally like this site but not negativity for its own sake.

December 01 2008 at 11:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Mel's comment
Eugene

Rosie's partisan, inflammatory and hate filled rants invite personal attacks... that ridiculous picture is maybe the last thing that's still funny about Rosie.

December 01 2008 at 8:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
seth

It should have aired on Thanksgiving day instead when all families can watch. Not the day before when everyone is travelling. Also, in a time slot that has not been kind to any program that has been in that time slot.

If they want to revive the variety format -- they should ask Carol Burnett to do a special -- a few years ago -- her reunion special garnered cbs a shocking 22 million.

November 30 2008 at 8:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Maggie

I had to agree with everything that was said. Rosie is one arrogant woman who thinks her opinion is the only opinion. She also thinks she has talent, think again Rosie. Your mouth is really too much and people are sick of it. Stay at home and try to educate your kids.

November 30 2008 at 5:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy

I, for one, have never understood audiences attraction to Rosie. I tried watching her talk show several times but in every case I found er obnoxious and arrogant. I watched a couple episodes of The View and again she was obnoxious and arrogant -- I even found myself feeling sorry for that twit Hasslebeck. I say good riddance.

November 30 2008 at 5:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brent McKee

The variety format could work. In fact it does in the "Dancing With The Stars" results shows. Strip out the five minutes spent letting us know who was and wasn't eliminated and what you've got is a variety show - singers, dancers and (alleged) comedy.

What made the old "Ed Sullivan Show" such a great success was that Sullivan had no obvious talent (in fact he had a talent for spotting talent) and was smart enough to know it. He let the acts do their acts and got out of the way. Rosie's ego is too big to accept that sort of role.

November 30 2008 at 3:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Brent McKee's comment
JennieO

True, but there were also very successful variety shows where the host/s were talented and funny: Sonny & Cher, Donny & Marie, Carol Burnett come to mind.

I agree it might have worked if Rosie had stuck to simply introducing the acts with a couple of jokes tossed out, but no way would her ego allow that. Her lack of talent sunk the show.

November 30 2008 at 5:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ronny

What an annoying, rude, and arrogant woman.
I'm not surprised it failed at all.

November 30 2008 at 2:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matthew Golem

I'm fairly certain the variety format can (and will) succeed again, but not with Rosie, and certainly not with The Osbornes.

November 30 2008 at 1:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Andrew

I'm fairly certain that this show was a complete disaster and the only reason I watched was because of the cavalcade of guest stars I was interested in (Alec Baldwin, Jane Krakowski, and my guilty pleasure Alanis Morissette).

November 30 2008 at 12:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Andrew's comment
Galley

If I had known Alanis was gonna be on it, I would've watched it.

November 30 2008 at 2:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
colvin.michael

I'm fairly certain that this aired on Wednesday night and not on Friday night.

November 30 2008 at 12:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply