April 21, 2014

South Park is officially not cool, thanks to my dad

by Danny Gallagher, posted Dec 1st 2008 11:19AM
Stan and his old man, RandyThanksgiving isn't just about completing your Seven Deadly Sins check list before the year runs out. Thanksgiving is about family; learning where they've been, where you are, and where everyone in your life is going. Food and football are just gravy ... sweet, delicious, artery-clogging gravy.

This year, my brother and I flew home with my old man - who hates it when I call him "my old man" - the day before Thanksgiving. That's when a shocker of "Who shot J.R."-esque proportions dropped on the table.

My Dad officially announced that he watches South Park.

The news hit me in the face like Moe giving Curly an eyeful of fingers. Could it be that one of the most beloved shows of my generation and loathed by all previous generations has finally run out of cool?

The only vivid memory I have of him even knowing of the show's existence was during the first season around Christmas time. He was flipping through the channels when Kyle's round head popped on the screen. He was staring into a toilet when Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo popped out and gave a hearty "Howdy ho!" He flipped away fast, muttered to my brother and me, "I can't believe you watch that," and eventually stopped on the Fox News Channel, or as I called it that night, the Irony Network.

Every show tries to appeal to as wide an audience as possible, and the best ones do it without sacrificing their integrity, voice and originality. South Park has done that in ways no one thought possible in its first few seasons. It's inevitable they would attract an older audience since they've attracted the eyes of so-called "South Park Conservatives" and taken a more satiric slant without losing their edginess or ability to make bodily functions even funnier than they already are.

Am I the only person in the universe who feels this way? I'll still watch it every week and buy the DVDs and wear my Cartman "Beefcake!" shirt to the gym until it's no longer needed to motivate me to spend more time at the gym. But the show just feels different now that it's no longer forbidden fruit.

Its brash coolness seems to have disappeared into the stratosphere like so many flaming farts caused by alien rectal probes.

JR

South Park is still funny,relevant, and satirical about life as ever. It's just that it has no shock value anymore. Unfortunately, alien anal probes and Chef's salty balls have become kind of commonplace.
Love the Woodland Critter Christmas :)

December 03 2008 at 2:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
PORSCHE

What about all the cool single guys in season 1 that are now dads but still enjoy the show? Does a dad watching something make it uncool?

OR are you channeling the SP episode from way back where the parents started playing with pokeimon to make their kids stop?

I guess if you had asked your dad how he could do that to your show.. then the old man says, "You are, young man, you have big pen*s". Then this blog would have been kewl... guess not.

December 02 2008 at 2:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Franklin

Sorry, Danny, but I'm going to have to side with all the commenters thus far. Although, not being familiar with you as a blogger it's very likely you're just trying to be funny and don't mean anything you've said.

Having given you the benefit of the doubt on that point, I'm awarding you the Gilded Douche Bag award for jumping in the cesspool of partisanship with the rest of the whiny socialist losers writing for this Assholes Online site. Had you not taken a shot at Fox News, I would've been fine with your article. Feel free to share the award with all the other, and I use this word as loosely as is possible, "writers" on this shite, er, site as they're as mired in douchebaggery as you are.

December 01 2008 at 3:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
deanj

Marlen,

LOL.... exactly what I was going to say.

December 01 2008 at 3:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
malren

WHAAAAAAHHH! MY DAD WATCHES FAUX NEWZ! WHAAAAAAAHHH! MY DAD WATCHING SOUTH PARK TOO! HOW WILL I GET MY HIPSTER IDENTITY NOW? WHAAAAAHHH! SOUTH PARK ISN'T THE EXACT SAME SHOW IT WAS FIVE MINUTES AGO BECAUSE I'M AN IDIOT WHO ONLY LIKES THINGS BASED ON HOW OTHER PEOPLE FEEL ABOUT THEM! WHAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!

Seriously. You're just being a douche. Grow up. And stop wasting TV Squad's bandwidth with this retarded drivel.

December 01 2008 at 2:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to malren's comment
Hank

I voted for Turd Sandwich.

December 01 2008 at 5:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Deezul

I didn't realize that 6th grade animation techniques were ever cool.

December 01 2008 at 1:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
4 replies to Deezul's comment
StillBash

South Park is still cool.

You are a child for thinking somethings uncool because your parents like it. That's just it. Go install some geeky Linux derivate or watch "Dr. Who". Trust me. You still cool, you still da man.

December 01 2008 at 12:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan

South Park still rocks...it just sounds like your Dad is cool, despite his bad taste in "news" channels.

December 01 2008 at 12:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RadioScott

People still consider South Park cool? Sorry. I didn't realize this was still 2002.

December 01 2008 at 12:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to RadioScott's comment
Joey Geraci

I assume you never enjoyed the awesomeness that was Imaginationland. Stand in shame, sir, stand in shame!

December 01 2008 at 12:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply