April 25, 2014

Steve Buscemi to star in HBO drama?

by Brad Trechak, posted Dec 1st 2008 10:30AM
Steve BuscemiSteve Buscemi is in talks to star in Martin Scorsese's new HBO drama Boardwalk Empire. The series chronicles the rise of Atlantic City as a gambling haven in the 1920's.

Buscemi has never been a leading man, to my knowledge; however he's an extremely versatile character actor and has always had a prominent supporting role in every drama or comedy in which he's appeared (my favorite still remains Airheads. Yeah, I'm weird that way).

He's no stranger to HBO drama either, as he had a sizable role in one of its most critically acclaimed dramas The Sopranos. He directed episodes of that show as well, before he even got in front of the camera. Martin Scorsese has also historically been attracted to mob dramas, so it seems like a good match.

The show itself has a lot of talent behind it (including Mark Wahlberg, who also executive-produces Entourage), so this show has a better chance of being a hit than most others, particularly anything on network TV.

deirdre capone

I am Al Capone's niece. I have written a book, Uncle Al Capone, which will be published in spring 2009. I would like to get a copy to scorcese and/or buscemi for review. If anyone has any suggestions please email me. Thanks. You can also check it out at my website www.unclealcapone.com

December 14 2008 at 5:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jennifer

Steve Buscemi has been the leading man in many Independent films. Trees Lounge and Ghost World that were mentioned above are only two. His most recent was Interview.

December 01 2008 at 4:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cgi

"Tree's Lounge" Leading male & main character.

December 01 2008 at 1:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
StillBash

TV Squad officially turned into questionmark blog?

Bob Sassone a shoddy journalist?

This blog "so gay"?

Seriously, stop it with the damn question marks. Mark it (rumor) or simply leave it out altogether. There's been a nice piece about question mark headlines on The Daily Show. It's bad journalism because you are allowed to say all and everything if you just put a questionmark behind a sentence.

December 01 2008 at 1:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan

With all those people involved in a period show about gambling and Atlantic city, how can this NOT be one of the best shows on TV? HBO usually does a great job, but adding Scorcese and Buscemi to the bunch means this will be spectacular.

December 01 2008 at 12:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
George

> Buscemi has never been a leading man ...

Check-out possibly the role of his career in Ghost World.

December 01 2008 at 12:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brad Trechak

Thanks for pointing that out, Matthew. I corrected the title.

December 01 2008 at 11:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matthew Hood

Shouldn't that be BOARDWALK Empire and not Broadway Empire?

December 01 2008 at 11:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tony

agreed. It sounds like a winner. I hope it gets greenlit and they ramp up production. I don't think HBO has much in line for this year other than

Big Love-Jan
Flight of The Conchords-early 09
In Treatment-Spring 09
True Blood-June 09
Entourage- June 09
Curb Your Enthusiasm- Summer or Fall 09

Am I correct? They definately have a lot in the hopper and I am hoping they increase what they have.

December 01 2008 at 11:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Aaron

This explains the Scorsese role in Entourage, knowing that Scorsese has a tie in with HBO, and Wahlberg.

This show couldn't sound any better, HBO really pays for itself with quality programs, I only wish that they had more shows lined up in between shows.

December 01 2008 at 10:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply