November 26, 2014

What's your favorite Christmas special?

by Bob Sassone, posted Dec 1st 2008 8:06AM
It's A Wonderful Life
Hey, it's December!

That means that the Christmas specials are about to start, if they haven't started already. Tonight we have How The Grinch Stole Christmas (8:30pm on ABC) and on Wednesday we have Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer (8pm on CBS). And still to come, of course, are It's A Wonderful Life, Miracle on 34th Street, A Charlie Brown Christmas, and many more. Not to mention all of those Lifetime Christmas movies where someone falls in love around the holidays, plus all of the Christmas episodes of our favorite TV shows. I think Heroes is going to have a special episode where Santa goes up against Sylar.

I would have to say that after all of these years, It's A Wonderful Life is still my favorite. I love The Grinch and Rudolph and A Charlie Brown Christmas as much as the next person (Frosty has never been a favorite, though), but It's A Wonderful Life is the movie I have to stop and watch if I come across it channel surfing.

What's your favorite Christmas special?
Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer38 (8.9%)
Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town12 (2.8%)
Frosty The Snowman3 (0.7%)
The Grinch (animated)34 (7.9%)
The Grinch (movie)9 (2.1%)
It's A Wonderful Life86 (20.1%)
Miracle On 34th Street34 (7.9%)
The Year Without A Santa Claus20 (4.7%)
A Charlie Brown Christmas78 (18.2%)
A Christmas Story82 (19.2%)
Other (say in comments)32 (7.5%)

fowak

Neither of the ones you mentioned:

ELF! And Muppet Christmas Carol.

December 17 2008 at 10:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
billy ruy

Elf is my new favorite... but who can forget... you're a mean one __ ______

fill in the blanks!

December 15 2008 at 11:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cissy

White Christmas is the BEST!!
However, for the comedies, I love National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation and Scrooged.

December 07 2008 at 2:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kristi

Without a doubt, the best Christmas special is White Christmas. There's nothing more special than Bing Crosby singing White Christmas with Rosemary Clooney!

December 04 2008 at 12:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
compuguy1088

It's A Wonderful Life and the Chuck Jones animated How the Grinch Stole Christmas.

December 03 2008 at 11:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
fireangelholly

I think the best Christmas special is Garfield Christmas it never fails to make me cry not because it is sad just because when Garfiled is sitting with the Grandmother taking about her husband and how much she misses him always gets to me.

December 03 2008 at 4:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MAKB

I love so many of those already mention but thought I'd add a few more ....

Though not 'traditional' Christmas Movies - I love 'The Ref' and 'Meet Me In St. Louis' at Christmastime. I love the opening Christmas musical in 'Toys' too.

Other Favorite cartoons/claymations are Rankin-Bass's 'Leprechaun's Christmas Gold' and 'Mr. Magoo's Christmas'

Plus I love the reruns of old Saturday Night Live Christmas specials.

And I recently rediscovered 'The House Without A Christmas Tree'.

I can't wait until this weekend to start watching my favs.

Merry Christmas everyone !

December 03 2008 at 12:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RobynM

Let's see:

A Christmas Carol - Alistair Sim version
Year Without A Santa Claus
Blackadder Christmas Carol
Hey Arnold!: Arnold's Christmas
A Garfield Christmas
Bell, Book and Candle
Santa Claus is Comin' to Town
Scrooged

Some I haven't seen in a while and would like to see again:

The Littlest Angel - '69 version w/Johnny Whitaker
A Cosmic Christmas
The Snowman
Christmas in Tattertown
The Christmas Toy

I'm sure I'll think of a half-dozen others as soon as I hit send, so this isn't a definitive list.

December 02 2008 at 10:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to RobynM's comment
Creeg60

I'm alive, and so are you...Scrooged!

December 02 2008 at 10:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Key Rick

I may have missed another's mention of it, but my favorite Christmastime special is a made-for-TV movie: The Homecoming. I believe it was the pilot for the series The Walton's. Patricia Neal is in it, and the scene near the beginning when she discovers a Christmas cactus in the cellar that's blooming despite having been neglected reminds me of my Mom for some reason.

December 02 2008 at 9:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tarheelbookworm

The Best Christmas Pageant Ever with Loretta Swit and Fairuza Balk, The Christmas Box with Maureen O'Hara and Richard Thomas and The Christmas Visitor with Dee Wallace

December 02 2008 at 8:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply