July 23, 2014

Heroes: The Eclipse - Part II

by Jason Hughes, posted Dec 2nd 2008 9:42AM
Heroes: The Elcipse pt 2
(S03E11)
Well, that was a whole lot of hullabaloo about nothing. I know, I know can't spoil anything before the jump. Can I say that I'm really enjoying Hiro these last couple of episodes? Maybe all he needed was to be a 10-year old boy. In fact, I wasn't too terribly annoyed by anyone in this episode ... except for Mohinder. Come on, dude. Let it go. Do you really think she's still going to be interested after everything that went down?

You just know that Seth Green and Breckin Meyer were just geeking out about getting a role on this show. In fact, we need more Heroes sketches on Robot Chicken. Now there's no excuses. As for the rest, the eclipse came and went and all those huge promises about what a big freaking deal this would turn out to be were for naught. Their powers disappeared when the eclipse came. What happened when it left?

Their powers came back. In fact, everything went right back to the way it was, and it was pretty damned obvious how it was going to play out. Of course Claire would die just before the eclipse ended. Of course, HRG would "kill" Sylar just before the eclipse ended. That way when it was over and their powers came back no one will have died.

In fact, the only casualties of the whole eclipse situation were The Haitian II: The God Complex and Elle. And both of those were just too obvious. If only Sylar had Matt's ability, he could have read Elle's mind and found out if HRG was lying. Not sure why he did his head slice thing, though. He already has her abilities and knows how to get them without killing. Just has to put his signature move on. He's like the Hulkster in that. Just think of it as his leg drop.

I guess all of this was so that we could set up Gabriel/Sylar to become the ultimate villain again, because he's just so good at being bad. But now we can sympathize with him a little bit ... I guess. Now that HRG has stirred up his mommy and daddy issues even more, he's going to have to become another psychopathic monster to cope. Maybe he can be Matt Parkman's brother next. "Daddy locked me in a mind room. That's why I kill." Get over it, man. We've all been through some crap in our lives.
  • We came so close to getting rid of Claire Bennett, but not so fast! She'll never die, and now Papa Petrelli wants her.
  • Kudos to Hiro for the most entertaining moment of the night when he popped into the Bennett household, grabbed Sylar and said "Bad man" in Japanese, wisking him away to some beach somewhere so he could kill Elle and free Kristen Bell to do whatever she has next on her plate.
  • I like the Matt and Daphne love connection as much as the next guy, but that story was really going nowhere. And that moment when her dad came out on the porch and hugged her was about the most awkward thing I've seen. He looked like he was either going to fall on her or pounce on her when he came out and then they embraced like to bears about to fight. Very odd.
  • This show keeps killing off its hot chicks, except for Hayden Panattiere and Ali Larter. You need to cast some damn hotties and keep them around. Hayden and Ali's characters don't do it for me anymore. I liked Elle. Okay, Maya's still around (nice cameo tonight), but she's useless as a character, too. Having that comic book problem of coming up with good strong female characters that aren't just sex kittens?
  • Only two chapters left in this volume. Will they really come through on any of their promises of changing everything, or will it be another disappointing ending? You know, that's a lot like comics too. Great setups and disappointment in the end. Maybe that's what they're going for. Good job, then!
Which character are you done with?
Mohinder766 (55.4%)
Claire193 (14.0%)
Gabriel/Sylar71 (5.1%)
Peter41 (3.0%)
Nathan45 (3.3%)
Hiro28 (2.0%)
Jessica239 (17.3%)

hugeliver

Good GOD!! My last episode of this EVER. It was worse than hanging on through the Clone Saga in Spiderman.

Now they have some bullshit story about a messenger with the last sketches from Isaac. WHATEVER!!

Didn't Parkman used to be a detective? How about detecting??

I suffered through the interrupted season last year. I'm not going through this crap this year. The character's alive...no, they're dead...oops, they're alive actually...now they're dead. ENOUGH!!!

The writers suck, the characters suck and Kring has become like the Baron there. He thinks he can keep screwing us over and he's invincible.

Guess what pal, you're wrong!!!

December 02 2008 at 10:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
csttar63

this is a side topic, but can anyone tell me if the actress who plays Claire adopted mom has had a stroke or something. the left side of her face seems paralyzed. i know she use to be hot, because i remember her from one of my all-time favorite baseball movies (bull durham is first, of course) called "LITTLE BIG LEAGUE". she played the mom of the kid who owned and managed the Minnesota Twins.

December 02 2008 at 7:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cgar

On NY NBC 4 HD, Heroes wasn't broadcast in HD until after the 2nd commercial break! Very annoying!

December 02 2008 at 3:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Franklin

It does feel like that the writing staff isn't on the same proverbial page. It's like each writer simply undoes what the last writer established, if they don't like it.

December 02 2008 at 2:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
superrrguy

Damn it, Claire didn't die.

What's up with HRG? Didn't he ever see Highlander, there can be only one. Cut of the the whole damn head next time!

December 02 2008 at 1:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
3 replies to superrrguy's comment
Sonburn

Elle may not be dead. Sylar started his finger/saw thingie, but he kinda stopped and slumped, so maybe he couldn't go through with it?

December 02 2008 at 12:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MikLamb

Let's see, hmm, Nathan. You see for yourself all of the suffering that someone with powers can do. You get all incensed and righteous and decide that you (as a US Senator, after all) can do something about it. So what do you do? You decide to join your evil father to let everyone have powers! Yeah, that'll really end the suffering........uh, not!

December 02 2008 at 12:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LRM

Yawn. Nothing ever changes on this show. Some shows can make that work. This one is having trouble making it work. Claire is still whining about her dad's job? Still? After two seasons? I'm sick of her character.

They made a whole big deal about the eclipse and it basically did nothing.

The fact that the characters are still making the same mistakes and same decisions as in Season 1 is getting old, e.g. Nathan.

But even when they try to give characters depth, they've failed, e.g. Elle, Sylar.

I just don't know about this show.

December 02 2008 at 12:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jennifer

How do we know that Noah was lying? It could make an interesting dynamic.

I just wish they'd kill off Mohinder and Nathan. The only thing Mohinder's good for is voice overs. Nathan's just a goody-too-shoes. He does the wrong thing for the right reasons. Just like a damn politician.

December 02 2008 at 11:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jennifer's comment
driftwood

I don't think he would have included Elle in his accusation unless she did know something else. That's my opinion though.

December 08 2008 at 1:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
R-Bro

Frankly, I'm glad Elle is gone, because her character was just all over the place. Good, bad, likable, unlikable. Actually, all the characters are kinda like that now.

December 02 2008 at 11:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply