Heroes: The Eclipse - Part II
by Jason Hughes, posted Dec 2nd 2008 9:42AM
(S03E11) Well, that was a whole lot of hullabaloo about nothing. I know, I know can't spoil anything before the jump. Can I say that I'm really enjoying Hiro these last couple of episodes? Maybe all he needed was to be a 10-year old boy. In fact, I wasn't too terribly annoyed by anyone in this episode ... except for Mohinder. Come on, dude. Let it go. Do you really think she's still going to be interested after everything that went down?
You just know that Seth Green and Breckin Meyer were just geeking out about getting a role on this show. In fact, we need more Heroes sketches on Robot Chicken. Now there's no excuses. As for the rest, the eclipse came and went and all those huge promises about what a big freaking deal this would turn out to be were for naught. Their powers disappeared when the eclipse came. What happened when it left?
Their powers came back. In fact, everything went right back to the way it was, and it was pretty damned obvious how it was going to play out. Of course Claire would die just before the eclipse ended. Of course, HRG would "kill" Sylar just before the eclipse ended. That way when it was over and their powers came back no one will have died.
In fact, the only casualties of the whole eclipse situation were The Haitian II: The God Complex and Elle. And both of those were just too obvious. If only Sylar had Matt's ability, he could have read Elle's mind and found out if HRG was lying. Not sure why he did his head slice thing, though. He already has her abilities and knows how to get them without killing. Just has to put his signature move on. He's like the Hulkster in that. Just think of it as his leg drop.
I guess all of this was so that we could set up Gabriel/Sylar to become the ultimate villain again, because he's just so good at being bad. But now we can sympathize with him a little bit ... I guess. Now that HRG has stirred up his mommy and daddy issues even more, he's going to have to become another psychopathic monster to cope. Maybe he can be Matt Parkman's brother next. "Daddy locked me in a mind room. That's why I kill." Get over it, man. We've all been through some crap in our lives.
- We came so close to getting rid of Claire Bennett, but not so fast! She'll never die, and now Papa Petrelli wants her.
- Kudos to Hiro for the most entertaining moment of the night when he popped into the Bennett household, grabbed Sylar and said "Bad man" in Japanese, wisking him away to some beach somewhere so he could kill Elle and free Kristen Bell to do whatever she has next on her plate.
- I like the Matt and Daphne love connection as much as the next guy, but that story was really going nowhere. And that moment when her dad came out on the porch and hugged her was about the most awkward thing I've seen. He looked like he was either going to fall on her or pounce on her when he came out and then they embraced like to bears about to fight. Very odd.
- This show keeps killing off its hot chicks, except for Hayden Panattiere and Ali Larter. You need to cast some damn hotties and keep them around. Hayden and Ali's characters don't do it for me anymore. I liked Elle. Okay, Maya's still around (nice cameo tonight), but she's useless as a character, too. Having that comic book problem of coming up with good strong female characters that aren't just sex kittens?
- Only two chapters left in this volume. Will they really come through on any of their promises of changing everything, or will it be another disappointing ending? You know, that's a lot like comics too. Great setups and disappointment in the end. Maybe that's what they're going for. Good job, then!