September 22, 2014

Why am I still watching My Own Worst Enemy?

by Bob Sassone, posted Dec 3rd 2008 3:09PM
Christian SlaterThis has nothing to do with the quality of the show. I like it. But I'm wondering why I keep watching it week after week when NBC has already canceled it.

It's not the first time that I've watched a TV show that has been canceled. And I think that fans should keep watching the remaining episodes of a TV show that has been canceled, out of loyalty if nothing else. But it takes real loyalty to watch a canceled show that has a continuing mystery at its core, which My Own Worst Enemy has.

I don't think that the show got enough heads up to change the last episode so it's a conclusion to the series (or even a sort-of conclusion), so the episodes I'm watching right now are all leading up to something big happening but it's not going to happen. So each week we're getting clues to what happened to Edward's parents, the scheming of the James Cromwell character, what Henry's wife's background is, and more, and it's just not going to add up to anything when the show is gone for good, and who knows when that's going to be. Hell, I'm still surprised at the end of each episode when the NBC announcer says "next week on My Own Worst Enemy..."

Anyone else still watching this show?

K Hardy

I watched all 9 episodes because this is a high quality show with great acting and a plot that requires some thought to figure out. My Own Worst Enemy is the only tv show that I have watched regularly in over 5 years. It is an intelligent show; one that doesn't bore me with predictable or dull plot, poor acting, or an unoriginal script and hasn't been dumbed down to the IQ of an average 10 year old child.

December 16 2008 at 11:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
stephanie

My husband and I just finished watching the last episode of My own Worst... and I am really upset because it just left us hanging. Of Course we knew it was going to but still the point is that it was a good show and now we are upset. Really wish there was something that the fans could do to bring it back, even for jsut a little closer.

December 15 2008 at 11:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Preston

They need to put it straight to DVD and release in in the spring or summer of 2009. And sell it for $24 in stores. It looks like a solid action drama. Christian Slater is a good actor, but he wasn't given the push he deserved for this show. This was just not the right climate or time to schedule this show. It could have been a mid season replacement in 2009 and gained some viewers in that period.

December 10 2008 at 3:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Naya

I am still watching out of hope that NBC will bring it back next year but with this news about Jay Leno I'm now worried about Law and Order. Are they going to cancel that too or move it up an hour? What's up with that? Jay Leno is not even funny. Seriously!

December 09 2008 at 1:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C C

I think My Own Worst Enemy might have made it at a different point in time. This fall, we had not only the presidential election but a major downturn in the economy. A show like MOWE takes mental energy to watch, and I'm not sure most people had enough left over after dealing with everything else that was going on. Plus, NBC is in the toilet right now. It's difficult to lauch a new show when the "hit" leading into it has begun to falter.

December 06 2008 at 8:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cdawg

i'm still watching. i absolutely love Christian Slater (have since like forever), and I think he's doing REALLY well in this role. not every actor can be so convincing as both clueless Spivey and confident Albright. I totally believe in him both roles.

I will miss this show.

December 04 2008 at 10:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Danielle

Im still watching it b/c its real good and sadden that it is cancelled. :(

December 04 2008 at 8:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alicia R.

I am watching it too.

I have just decided though, I am not going to give any show in NBC's 10 pm Monday timeslot any more attention... S60 (and yes, I am still bitter), MOWE...

No more love from me.

December 03 2008 at 11:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cathymath

Both myself and my husband are still watching and enjoying the show. I find it sad how networks do not give shows a chance...so quickly we forget what Seinfeld's ratings were their first season!

December 03 2008 at 11:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jake

I never started watching because ever since NBC canned Las Vegas, I have decided not to invest time and emotion in a new NBC show unless it has good ratings. I took one look at MOWE and figured it wouldn't make it to the spring and no surprise, it didn't.

December 03 2008 at 8:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply