April 18, 2014

CNN drops space and science; Miles O'Brien looking for a job

by Bob Sassone, posted Dec 4th 2008 1:27PM
Miles O'BrienAfter 16 years, Miles O'Brien is leaving CNN.

The reason? CNN has decided to get rid of their science/tech/environment/space division, because nothing ever happens in science, technology, the environment, or space. The network says that they're getting rid of the division because the "Planet in Peril" series already covers all of that stuff, and they'll just integrate the rest of the science coverage into their regular news. Translation: more cost-cutting in the news business.

It's kind of sad to see O'Brien go. Just a couple of years ago he was the co-host of American Morning with Soledad O'Brien, and then he lost that gig and went back to covering space and technology, and now that coverage is gone. It was always good to have him around for space shuttle launches and for his expertise when their was a problem with a plane or a plane crash.

I'm sure they'll still cover space shuttle launches, but now they'll be hosted by D.L. Hughley and Nancy Grace. (Kidding)

Jay

I worked with Miles for many years at CNN.
He was a very kind, gracious guy with a good
sense of humor. Unlike many news "readers"
on CNN and other networks, Miles always did
his homework. Its CNN's loss.

December 04 2008 at 5:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kenm

My opinion but I've always found Miles to be a pompous ass. Good riddance I say.

December 04 2008 at 3:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Andrew

I wonder how many times a day he hears some version of a Star Trek joke?

December 04 2008 at 3:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sam

Can we actually launch Nancy Grace INTO space?

December 04 2008 at 2:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
xtinemichele

When I was a tour guide at CNN back in the late 90s, Miles made one of my co-workers cry. Every time I see him, I think of that. Karma, although it sometimes takes a while to come around, is a bitch, innit?

December 04 2008 at 2:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Thom

I guess it is more important to make holograms and give into the anti-science culture that is the U.S.

December 04 2008 at 2:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BillS

Well if he can't land another broadcasting gig, he can always join starfleet.

December 04 2008 at 2:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Monty

I understand Will I. Am will now be beaming in holographically with one minute tech updates throughout the day.

December 04 2008 at 2:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply