September 23, 2014

Grey's Anatomy: All By Myself

by Debra McDuffee, posted Dec 4th 2008 11:03PM
Izzie and Denny in bed
(S05E10) Before I even start this review, I've got to vent about the absurd amount of commercials during this episode of Grey's Anatomy. Is it always this bad and I just haven't noticed? Are there always ads every two minutes or so? I found it extremely distracting to be constantly interrupted, especially when there were so many storylines going on tonight.

And we did have a lot to keep track of: Dr. Dixon's appearance, the Izzie / Denny / Alex love triangle, who would be awarded the first solo surgery, Callie's and Sadie's flirting, the medical cases of the week, Yang and Hunt, Sloan and Little Grey, Bailey and Sloan ... I can barely keep track of them all.

Let's break down this episode after the break and try to make some sense of "All By Myself."

Cristina felt alone because she had to choose which resident would get to do the first solo surgery, but also because none of the other residents backed her up when the interns were caught doing surgery on each other. She's fighting with Meredith because Cristina can separate her personal and professional lives, and Meredith can't. Hunt saves the day with the kinky vent. Don't really know what to say about that, but I do love Hunt so I'll let it slide.

The sisters' car accident case was heartbreaking. We've all probably wished someone dead at least once in our lives, whether in our heads or out loud. Can you imagine if it actually came true? How would you live with yourself? The younger sister was classic all-by-herself.

And how about the lady who didn't speak for five years? Probably she was feeling pretty alone, as was her husband. It brings to the forefront the question, "What is communication?" They were spending all their time bemoaning the fact that they couldn't communicate because the wife had no voice. The irony of the beautiful ending of this case, how much is said with just the one word "hi," is very powerful. They really could have communicated all along, but they had pushed each other away.

It was great to see Alex have a vulnerable, human moment of happiness. Yeah, we've seen him cry, but we've never seen him elated and open before. His speech, though a bit cliche, kind of fit Alex perfectly. Why would he be more eloquent than he was, when he's been pretty socially awkward about making connections with people? "You make me better. You make me want to be better. You make me want to be good."

As much as I've enjoyed Denny, I think it is really time for him to go now and let Izzie be with Alex, although his quote after Alex's speech was pretty funny: "I'm really starting to not like that guy."

Worth mentioning:
  • Crazy that Denny is sitting on the couch in the doctor's lounge with Izzie in the opening scene. Did they go too far?
  • That Miranda is so spunky. She's my favorite character because she's so true to herself.
  • Not sure how I feel about Callie and Sadie. With Hahn, it was OK that Callie turned into a Lesbian because it was about the person. It is harder to believe that Callie is suddenly attracted to random females.
  • Bailey had such a powerful moment with Sloan in the OR. She is so respectful and earnest, and I love Mark's truly humble reaction once he gets it.
  • Izzie's good sex speech to Cristina was fun. It's the important things in life, eh Izzie?
  • I can't decide how I feel about Mary McDonnell's portrayal of someone with Asberger's Syndrome. I want to like it, because I like her so much, but I have known people with Asberger's and something about the performance is over the top for me; it just doesn't ring true.
  • Liking the Sloan / Little Grey tryst? I am, and I can't wait to see where it goes.
This episode of Grey's worked itself out to be a pretty strong one for me -- do you agree?

Grey's Anatomy' Photos

Actress Chandra Wilson attends the screening of her new public service announcement produced by OTCSafety.org at Edelman headquarters on September 24, 2008 in New York City.

Joe Corrigan/WireImage.com

Joe Corrigan/WireImage.com

NEW YORK - SEPTEMBER 24: Actress Chandra Wilson attends the screening of a new public service announcement for OTCsafety.org at the Edelman headquarters on September 24, 2008 in New York City. (Photo by Neilson Barnard/Getty Images) *** Local Caption *** Chandra Wilson

Getty Images

Getty Images

Getty Images

Actor Patrick Dempsey (R) and wife Jillian Dempsey arrive at the 60th Primetime Emmy Awards at the Nokia Theater on September 21, 2008 in Los Angeles, California.

Dan MacMedan/WireImage.com

Chandra Wilson and Debra Birnbaum, Editor-in-Chief of TV Guide Magazine, arrive at TV Guide

Chris Weeks/WireImage.com

Actress Chandra Wilson arrives at the 60th Primetime Emmy Awards at the Nokia Theater on September 21, 2008 in Los Angeles, California.

Steve Granitz/WireImage.com

Actor Patrick Dempsey poss in the press room during the 60th Primetime Emmy Awards at the Nokia Theatre on September 21, 2008 in Los Angeles, California.

Dan MacMedan/WireImage.com

(L-R) Actors Sandra Oh and Patrick Dempsey pose in the press room during the 60th Primetime Emmy Awards at the Nokia Theatre on September 21, 2008 in Los Angeles, California.

Dan MacMedan/WireImage.com

linrabbit

When do new episodes begin?

December 15 2008 at 1:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Myra Brown

a couple of errant thoughts
1) I like Hunt for Cristina a lot; she laughs with him, which is something she doesn't do; they are patient with each other's 'stuff'
2) I think Denny is unimaginative; Shonda Rimes said he was not coming back after the Meredith drowning episodes; she actually said Denny is gone during an official podcast - so much for that
3) I liked Mark Sloan's development - he did the wild thing with Lexie but he was conflicted and aware of that promise to Derek
4) why is sexuality always linear in our society? Maybe Callie is bisexual? maybe she's experimenting? Maybe the Sadie chick is one of those folks that's hot to both genders? lots of other possibilities - why does sexuality always have to be simple and linear in America?

December 08 2008 at 7:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Justin

I'm over Denny. If they wanted him on the show, they shouldn't have killed him off. This isn't Six Feet Under--the talking dead guy doesn't work. When George notices that Izzy is off after ignoring her for so long, you'd think others would. Not to mention that I think a resident that isn't showing up for her rounds and her work would merit punishment and not a shrug.

But I'm nitpicking the little things on a show that uses a hospital and medical drama as a backdrop for its soapy characters.

I mentioned in other posts that Sloan and Lexie are the only thing that keeps me interested in terms of relationships. I hate Christina becoming holier than thou. The writers have turned her into the bitch now that Hahn is gone--which sucks because I love Sandra Oh but this transformation doesn't work for her. If it was going to happen, it should have been post-Burke and not now.

I like Sadie. Her comment that the program is broken was just what I was thinking. The Chief is incompetent and other than Bailey, and McDoctors, no one seems to understand their jobs.

December 05 2008 at 9:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Justin's comment
ender

Isn't the chief absolutely stupid this season??

December 06 2008 at 7:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Christie

I am truly upset of the inaccurate portrayal of laryngeal cancer and the resulting laryngectomy - if the patient was truly a laryngectomy she would have been breathing out of a stoma - a hole - in her throat. You also cannot just build someone a new larynx! How unfortunate that Grey's did not take the opportunity to truly educate the public. If you would like more information about laryngeal cancer and/or laryngectomys please visit: http://www.asha.org/public/speech/disorders/LaryngealCancer.htm

December 05 2008 at 6:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Leota

I've noticed the commercial thing with a few other shows. What's happening is that they are taking more, shorter breaks, some are only one or two commercials long. It's seriously annoying if you want to get up and do something during the break and suddenly the show's back on.

December 05 2008 at 5:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bella

I'm still unsure how I feel about the whole Dead Denny thing, I love Jeffery Dean Morgan but they're getting to the point, or possibly they've past it, where they need to let us in on the joke. They need to let the audience know why he's there, tumor, crazy doctor, or actual ghost, even if the characters don't figure it out for a few more episodes, they need to clue us in.

One good thing that the whole story line seemed to bring back was the George/Izzy friendship, you know the awesome one they ruined when they forced the two together. I mean by now we all know that the characters of this show are completely self involved but really, no one except for George has noticed that there's something wrong with Izzy? And everytime he mentions it, everyone just blows him off. Alex claims to love Izzy but he can't figure out that she's crazy?

I like that George is the only one who notices except when the truth comes out and they all realize there is something wrong with Izzy I have this awful feeling that there's going to be a whole hour long show about how each character feels bad that they didn't see it thereby making it about them and not Izzy.

December 05 2008 at 4:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

I'm pretty close to being done with this show, but they're holding me on by a thread. But this Dead Denny thing is really stupid, and I wish they'd kill it... literally.

December 05 2008 at 12:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Becky

I too thought Denny would go away once Alex finally told Izzie he loved her. I now really have no idea where she is going with this storyline.

I am sorry but the whole Kallie/Hahn and now irritating Sadie just seems too forced. I just don't buy the whole thing and to top that off, Kallie and Sloan are just so good together. I would have no problem if it seemed like it was real....ie, Kevin & Scotty on Brothers & Sisters. This just does not work.

And I am not liking the whole Little Grey w/Sloan either. Hopefully it will only last long enough to force George (unless he is the actor being fired that Michael Ausiello is talking about) to realize that Little Grey is for him.

Dr. McArmy went a long way to convince me that he may finally be the man for Christina. I had held out hope that Burke would comeback but after last night, I think I can see those 2 together.

December 05 2008 at 11:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Becky's comment
Daniel

Ewww - Little Grey + George? ... I don't like Lexie's character to start with (I think that the whole photographic memory thing is the biggest cop out ever), but I'm much happier with Lexie and Sloan rather than Lexie and George

December 05 2008 at 12:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lance

Did anyone else love the ending? Maybe because Kanye's song was playing in the background and I love that song, but I just thought it was SO good. The boiler room thing was really different and cool too. Just everything.ha.

December 05 2008 at 11:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alicia R.

I like the Denny/Izzie storyline. I do. Wether it is because of JDM, or the fact that Izzie is going crazy (Can't stand KH)... but I am enjoying it.

December 05 2008 at 9:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply