October 30, 2014

Kids in the Hall working on new miniseries - VIDEO

by Mike Moody, posted Dec 4th 2008 11:31AM
kids in the hall reunion minisereis
The news that The Kids in the Hall are working on a new Canadian TV miniseries should make comedy nerds everywhere happy. I know I'm excited, even though it might be a while until it airs in the U.S. (I'm kicking myself for not moving to Canada like I said I would after the 2004 presidential election.)

Mr. Dave Foley told the Canadian Press that all the original Kids (Foley, Bruce McCullough, Mark McKinney, Scott Thompson and Kevin McDonald) are writing an eight-ep miniseries for the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, the home of their original sketch comedy show. It sounds like their recent reunion tour went pretty well. The five-member troupe will star in the series, which Foley says won't be a sketch comedy, but will involve a number of comic characters.

"... it'll be a single narrative miniseries. Probably the closest thing to it will probably be something like (the defunct cult British series) League of Gentlemen, which I think was brilliant. So I hope it will be close to that," Foley told the Press.

They're calling it Death Comes to Town. I hope that means we'll see Bruce McCullough dressed as a tiny Grim Reaper, or possibly a tiny bubonic plague victim in a flannel shirt. Either one would be good.

IMBD says the series will premiere January 2010 on CBC, but there's still no word on when or exactly where it will air in the U.S. I'll break the Internet looking for it if I have to. Especially if it's anywhere near as funny as this:

Justin

It's going to be on CBC? Yes! That means we can watch it in Seattle!

December 04 2008 at 8:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
deebopalula

AWESOME! I used to LOVE Kids In The Hall!! There's a fine line between clever and stupid (as Spinal Tap once said) and The Kids always knew how to straddle it perfectly.

Somedays sitting in traffic or when people really annoy me, I "crush their heads" like they used to do in one of their recurring sketches. Can't wait for the miniseries! I just hope Bruce McCullough has some better fitting jeans by this time - those ones in the video clip look painful!

December 04 2008 at 6:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Paul

You're missing out on great Canadian shows if you're not watching the Mark McKinney-produced "Less Than Kind" -- one of the best comedies currently on TV.

I have fond memories of "These Are the Daves"... and every so often the song finds its way back into my head for no reason at all.

December 04 2008 at 5:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Riley Freeman

i think i was probably too young to watch them when they originally aired im 25 now but i remember reruns and they were always funny there was a lot of homosexual sketches but it was a funhy. this will probably be the first time i tune into a canadian show since it came off the air lol

December 04 2008 at 5:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Akbar Fazil

Not sketch comedy but more of an ongoing narrative? So more like Brain Candy then.

Awesome.

But a whole year to wait for it? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

December 04 2008 at 5:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SadOldMan

One of the perks of living where it's always cold...we get the CBC on Time Warner.

December 04 2008 at 3:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Allan

I CANNOT WAIT FOR THIS!

I never get tired of watching their re-runs.

Remember the skit about those cops chasing the convicts? I still LOL like crazy whenever I see it:

December 04 2008 at 12:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joey Geraci

Uhmmm.....
Was that supposed to be funny? It was cute, I guess...

December 04 2008 at 12:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Joey Geraci's comment
Rocketboy_X

Don't blame comedy if you didn't get it...

Some things are funny, justs because they are odd, not because there's a setup-punchline combo.

December 04 2008 at 2:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joey Geraci

I guess that is the different between cute and funny. That video was definitely cute. Cuter than a button on a puppy. Cuter than http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh7I1BcXlqM

But not funny.

December 04 2008 at 5:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tracey

Yay, this comedy geek is happy to hear this.

December 04 2008 at 11:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply