September 20, 2014

The Flintstones (and the Rubbles) are headed for Broadway

by Bob Sassone, posted Dec 4th 2008 8:12PM
The FlintstonesThis news has part of me saying "great, this should be fun!" and the other part of me saying, "oh God, please don't have Mr. Slate making a sex tape with Wilma."

Marco Pennette is writing a Broadway musical version of The Flintstones, and this version is supposed to involve modern-day topics such as marriage problems, adoption, and the environment. Now, this could be good, in a Brady Bunch Movie sort of way, if they really play it for laughs. It could be horrible if they don't.

I don't understand the plot of having Wilma thinking about leaving Fred because he still acts like a caveman and hasn't grown. Wasn't The Flintstones set in caveman times (albeit with elephant vacuum cleaners and cars powered by feet)? Or are they going to set the show today and just have them still living like they used to? Sounds like The Brady Bunch Movie again.

Pennette has been involved in many shows over the years as a producer and/or writer, including Ugly Betty, Samantha Who?, What I Like About You, Caroline in the City, Dave's World, Dear John, and Kate & Allie.

(Of course, you don't have to go to Broadway to see the cartoon classic; you can watch full Flintstones episodes at AOL TV.)

Cissy

Broadway is obviously running out of ideas. They keep bringing back the classics, because there just are no other ideas out there. What's next? "QVC, the Musical"?

December 07 2008 at 2:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Richard Ott

I loved watching The Flintstones on TV, but I can't fathom
this show on Broadway. Face it, Rosie O'Donnell can have
her day on the stage imitating Betty Rubble, but doing a
Broadway Flintstones, that's like bringing the Captain
Caveman TV series into outer space. It will never work.
Frankly, I'd love to see episodes of The New Flintstones
(1979-1985) TV series remastered on DVD, including
The All New Fred & Barney Show (1979-'80), the huge
90-Minute The Flintstones Comedy Show from 1980-'82),
and The Flintstone Funnies which aired on NBC After the
big network switch. ABC originally aired the 70's & early
80's Flintstones, until they lost the rights to NBC for at
least 2 seasons, afterwhich Flintstone Funnies expired in
1985. Surely, Warner Bros. & Hanna Barbera can work
something out to bring them all to DVD, despite the fact
The New Flintstones aired on 2 networks in seprate years.
I prefer the Late 70's & 80'S versions the best, anyway.
Yabba-Dabba-Doo!

December 07 2008 at 12:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
aforcered

Its not the flinstones you idiots......its...OPRAH hitting broadway!!!!!!!

December 07 2008 at 12:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
James

And Dazed and Justin...I am usually the first to bemoan the lack of creativity today, but really, adopting cartoons to stage isn't new. Not just recent shows...but does "You're A Good Man, Charlie Brown" ring any bells?

Not that I should care, I don't really think I'm gonna see this, nor do I normally go to Broadway shows anyways. If you're really upset, support your local stage companies and other alternatives to mainstream entertainment.

December 07 2008 at 11:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
James

I'm open to the idea...just DON'T LET ROSIE BE BETTY RUBBLE AGAIN! Worst. Miscasting. Ever.

December 07 2008 at 11:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JustinOpinion

Oh dear GOD! Now we have to be subjected to this crap LIVE?!?!?! Isn't it bad enough that HOLLYWOOD doesn't have an original thought in their brain? Now Broadway?! What are they going to have the balls to charge for that?! Un-FREAKEN-believable! The dumbing of America continues! I thought it was already complete when Bush got another 4 years!

December 07 2008 at 10:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
KLS

Are you kidding me? First Titanic, then Carrie, now the FLINTSTONES? What's next on B'way? Strawberry Shortcake and Rainbow Brite meet the Transformers? Have we as a society become so lame that we are this easily easily amused and willing to pay through the nose as well? If I want to watch cartoons, I'll turn on my TV, save the outrageous ticket prices, and spend time with my kids!

December 07 2008 at 9:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dazed

Omg...is broadway getting that bad that we now have to bring a second cartoon to broadway? Pathetic.

December 07 2008 at 8:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to dazed's comment
Rockman

2nd comic... there have been loads (for those of us old enough to remember)... Li'l Abner, Charlie Brown, Annie, just to name a few

December 07 2008 at 12:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John F.C. Taylor

Why not? Hollywood did two movies, so Broadway should be the logical step. I just wonder who will be cast in the roles.

December 07 2008 at 7:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply