April 16, 2014

Dirty Sexy Money and Eli Stone fans to get closure; Daisies viewers won't

by Isabelle Carreau, posted Dec 5th 2008 1:17PM
Pushing DaisiesOne of the worst words to hear for a devoted TV fan is the word "cancellation." Just having to type it makes me cringe. Hearing this word a year in advance allows fans, cast and crew to prepare and usually means that we will get a satisfying ending (I say usually because, let's face it, not everyone was satisfied with the Seinfeld gang ending up in prison or with the black screen at the end of The Sopranos... then again, can we satisfy all fans?).

What makes the "word that shall not be typed again in this post" so scary is when it is said after a series wrapped up its current episode order or when it is said almost a mere minute before said episode order is completed. When this happens, it usually means that the shows will not have the money/time/leisure to go back to the drawing board and rework what will now be known as their series finale.

When ABC announced that Dirty Sexy Money, Eli Stone and Pushing Daisies were canc... not renewed, a lot of fans frantically searched the web to know if production had wrapped up in order to find out if there was hope for some closure. Well, my fellow TV fans, I come with answers: DSM and Eli finales will offer some closure while Daisies will end with a few cliffhangers!

Slight spoilers coming up!

Entertainment Weekly's Michael Ausiello confirmed this week that DSM and Eli both had the money and time to produced series finales that will offer some closure to fans. The word "some" is important here as it was impossible for both series to wrap every storyline up with, well, the time and money they had left. However, DSM fans will be happy to learn that the series finale will give the answer as to who killed Dutch. As for Eli Stone, the gossip columnist reveals that the satisfying ending will offer a scene between Eli and his father.

Sadly, Pushing Daisies fans will need to prepare for the worst. According to TV Guide's Mega Buzz, the only big mystery that will be solved by the series' end is that of Emerson's missing daughter. Both Ausiello and Kristin Dos Santos from E! hinted that the Daisies finale will actually end with a cliffhanger or two! How will Daisies fans get closure? Comic books! During a panel held at the Paley Center for Media, Bryan Fuller revealed that he would like to see the story arcs wrapped up in comic books.

I can understand the reasons why networks don't always give enough warning to their shows about their grim fate, but what they must do is give fans closure one way or another. Without viewers, networks would not exist. So why not reward their commitment to series by either 1) giving enough warning to shows so they can offer a satisfying ending, 2) telling the shows they have been canned when there is at least one episode left to produced so that some storylines can be wrapped up, 3) offering the creators a platform to tell fans how the series would have ended. Personally, I prefer option #1 but sometimes we have to accept that #3 is all we will get (for example, when FOX canceled John Doe, the creators sent out a sort of press release to give fans some closure). Sadly, networks often choose secret option #4: no closure at all.

Heather

You people suck! , All you give time to is cop shows. I loved Men In trees, GONE. Now I'm looking forward each week to Dirty Sexy, GONE. We (the public) should rename ABC DSM Dirty, Sexy Money----indeed. Heather

December 18 2008 at 11:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
P K

December 17 2008 at 3:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bonnie J CruzelleMyram

I think it really is crappy that you are cutting "Dirty Sexy Money". Every time I get into a good show you guys cut it. I think I'll just cut ABC.
Bonnie

December 17 2008 at 12:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bonnie J CruzelleMyram

Bonnie

December 17 2008 at 12:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
juanita1960

Plsssss, don't cancel this show. This is a great show. If it must end than at least give it a great ending it deserves. It would be down right cruel to your viewers to keep us hanging.

December 11 2008 at 12:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rob

they should just give pushing daisies an episode or two to wrap everything up and put them online. like they did with Day Break

December 08 2008 at 3:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jim

I don't watch sports or reality TV show, and I barely/rarely try new shows anymore because of these poor decisions (although if I was a *lame-ratings-guide* Neilsen family I'd consider watching them).

In a nutshell, I'm hardly a TV viewer these days. Kiss my advertising bucks goodbye.

December 06 2008 at 8:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
D Colin

the thing is will we see the remaining episodes at all. They are airing the last episodes of the year on the 16th and 17th from all that I've read. That would make Eli's 8th episode, Dirty Sexy Money's 10th (well 9th that aired cause we never got to see the Thanksgiving episode) and Daisies 10th episode. Now I at first heard we'd get to see all the episodes then ABC released their plans for Jan. and such and none of the three shows were mentioned. I mean Lost returns Jan. 21 with Life in Mars following the next week - so Wednesdays is
locked all but 7pm ct. I bet they put the previous weeks lost at 7 so the whole night is full. And the week before is last seasons 3 hour finale
I can see them still showing Eli once Scrubs hits the air Jan. 6th but nothing formal was said. Actually scratch that Primetime starts the 6th as well So that leaves DSM and PD in limbo

I'm just worried cause I want to see what they have left. I really
like all three of these shows
I just hope it's not just put online. I mean I have a nice computer
but I like my 42inch better

just my thoughts

December 06 2008 at 6:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rebecca

That does it. I'm never watching anything on ABC again. For whoever said that Pushing Daisy's should have tied things up, it wasn't the end of the season, it's only partway through the year. ABC didn't give the show a decent chance. It didn't bring it back after the writers strike last year and worse, didn't even rerun the episodes from the first season this past summer. It quietly brought it back to die. Becoming a fan of a show on ABC is not worth it and fortunately I have cable and netflix.

December 05 2008 at 11:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tv junkie

honestly, i don't blame ABC at all, they tried their best, before the season started, they did promo the hell out of their Wednesday lineup (PD, PR, DSM) and stunt casting on Eli Stone, but the rating was brutally bad. the majority of people who prefer unoriginal shows just aren't tuning in.

i'm glad at least some closure for DSM and Eli Stone, but I'd love to see that Pushing Daisies movie Fuller proposed get made, i think the appeal for a fantasy movie is greater than tv.

December 05 2008 at 7:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply