October 26, 2014

Only 40% of the people on Barbara Walters's list are actually "fascinating"

by Bob Sassone, posted Dec 5th 2008 2:31PM
Palin, FeyI've always had a problem with Barbara Walters and her list of the 10 most fascinating people of the year. There are always a few people on the list that definitely belong there, such as a President or a politician or the person who starred in the biggest movie of the year. But her 2008 list, which she revealed last night, is pretty lame.

I've found four people on the list that I think should be there: Barack Obama, Tina Fey, Sarah Palin, and Michael Phelps. If you wanted to stretch it you could include Thomas Beatie, the pregnant man, but I'll stick with the other four. It's obvious why Obama and Palin on the list. Fey is on there for not only winning several awards but also for being a major player in the intersection where the election met pop culture. Phelps won 300 gold medals at The Olympics.

But Will Smith? What did he do this year exactly? Ditto Tom Cruise. Rush Limbaugh was probably fascinating in 2002, but this past year? As for Frank Langella, I've heard he gives a great performance as Nixon in Frost/Nixon, but the movie was released five minutes ago. Is he really one of the most fascinating people of 2008? Ahead of Phelps and Fey? And why isn't John McCain on the list?

I guess we should be grateful that people from The View aren't on it.

AJ

Heath Ledger should've been in there. Now that I think about it the person has to be alive don't they? I think with Steve Irwin she did his wife instead...

December 08 2008 at 12:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Toby OB

I would have added Eliot Spitzer, former governor of New York, or David Paterson, who succeeded him. One lost it all because of his urge for prostitutes, the other is now in position to name the next NY senator and made it in life despite being legally blind.

December 06 2008 at 8:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

What's so fascinating about a guy with an underbite who swims 12 hours a day?

Congratulations on your medals, Michael. Now please go away.

December 06 2008 at 7:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Takayo

Yeah, there are plenty of more fascinating people, but I highly doubt people would've tuned in if they figured the show would've consisted of talking to scientists, authors, sports stars, and politicians.

December 06 2008 at 3:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mb

I agree with 3 of your 4 but I don't agree about Palin. I know I am a bit nit picky, but the list was for all of 2008 and who outside of Alaska had even heard of her before September-that is only 3 months of the year!

And why not John McCain, Hilary Clinton, Mike Huckabee, Ron Paul and some of the other presidential candidates?

December 06 2008 at 1:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kwm72

Barbara should retire. I can understand why she was respected in the 70's and early 80's; but I think the time she has spent on The View has ruined her reputation as a journalist while at the same time showcasing how ignorant and out of touch she is. I wouldn't be surprised if she featured a bowl of jello as fascinating. I'd personally be fascinated to meet the plastic surgeon who keeps tightening the skin on her face.

December 06 2008 at 1:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JennieO

Babwa Walters is so passe it's sad. That the news division allows her to promote a bunch of stars' new movies and call them "fascinating" people is pathetic.

While I'm ranting, I'm quite tired of reading about the "pregnant man". She's a woman, with all the internal plumbing required to have a child. That she chooses to take testosterone and grow a beard does not make her a fascinating person, nor does it make her a man. I'd have no problem with her except that the fame seeking is sickening.

December 05 2008 at 8:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kyle

I think its unfortunate that she did not include dr randy pausch in her list. He definitely became a household name this year, and was a worldwide fascination.

December 05 2008 at 7:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carissa

Wil, Tom and Frank all have controversial movies coming out. Ooooooooh...fascinating. What have they done other than star in a movie? Someone needs to leave the seat of her couch a bit more often, stop depending upon the nitwits from The View to tell her what's what.

Like Rachel said, with all the scientific advancements alone; no one was worthy? With the financial crisis, you'd think she could have found someone from that quagmire. They might not be loved, but certainly fascinating.

December 05 2008 at 4:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply