October 23, 2014

Oprah's talk show future might be all her OWN

by Allison Waldman, posted Dec 5th 2008 9:31AM
Oprah WThere's a famous scene in The Godfather: Part III -- the only really memorable one -- where Michael Corleone says, "Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in." I thought of that when I read that Oprah Winfrey may not be ending her talk show in 2011 after all. What? I thought it was a done deal, but no. Every time I think she's done, she's back again.

When asked by Access Hollywood about The Oprah Winfrey Show ending in 2011, Ms. W said, "I'm not done." Well, you sure could have knocked me over with a feather. I mean, really, I understand that it's a woman's prerogative to change her mind, but I really thought Oprah had other worlds to conquer, other fish to fry.

She bought into Discovery to create her own network, called OWN (get it, Oprah Winfrey Network); she's got Harpo Studios; she's behind Rachael Ray and Dr. Phil and soon a show for Dr. Oz, too. She practically appointed Barack Obama as the president ... I was counting on her abdicating the throne in 2011.

It's not that I have anything against Oprah, although I don't care for her taste in books. But she was really funny on 30 Rock, and I admit it, I watch her favorite things show every Christmas season. I just think that if she would stick with what she told Larry King in 2007 -- that 2011 was it for the talk show -- she could hit the mark at 25 years on the air and then retire (from that show) as a champion.

Except now it looks like Oprah might just be ending the talk show as it exists now in syndication and moving it to OWN. Get it? And when you think about it in terms of what would be the strongest draw on a relatively new network, the answer is Oprah in some similar version of her famous talk show.

verona hall

Dawn,
You sound like a 'hater'. Oprah's achievments does not hinder other people from achieving. Take a page out of her book. Stop hating and give yourself a chance to achieve.

December 10 2008 at 1:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bp

People actaully want to watch a PIG oink.

December 09 2008 at 4:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Geo

So who cares, other than her robotic "What-would-Oprah-do" followers. These nitwits go into a frenzy even when she announces that she is NOT giving away anything. Get a life and be your own people without having this arrogant, self-absorbed twit telling you how to live. Otherwise, just keep throwing more of your money her way and make her even richer because you can't decide how to live your own life.

December 09 2008 at 11:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DAWN

WHO CARES!!!!!!!! about what Oprah what ever her last name is........that woman is so wealthy it is almost sinful. So many people, children, animals are starving in the world and here is this one little spec in the world that holds all of this money and lives like she is in HEAVEN. Wake up people......we all need to get together and stop giving her all of this money and attention. Truthfuly I would feel so quilty to have all of that money, but somehow she thinks she deserves it. It is because of us that has made her so rich and we can take it away if we just didn't watch her and give her all of this pretense glory, that everyone deserves, not just her

December 09 2008 at 6:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gonzo1

she ain't movin' to cable that rumblin' you hear is her tummy-tuck commin' undone. an' her wig fallin' off.

December 09 2008 at 12:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marilee

What, is AOL in love with Oprah or what? Nearly a day goes by that she isn't featured somewhere on your website. Many people are sick of her, call it over-exposure if you want..and that picture must have taken a lot of "fixin" to make her look that young and thin. You think we are all stupid????

December 08 2008 at 11:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
parkwayguy

Doesn't she already OWN the Oxygen Network?

December 08 2008 at 2:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rtms

Why in the world would she get rid of the original cash cow that made her famous? If everything else fails she still has that show to make her money. It's the center of her empire. You don't rip it out unless your sure your going to survive and in these economic times there is no guarantee her other projects will still be making money by then. It's a smart move, wait and see what happens when the dust settles and move on from there.

December 05 2008 at 3:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chester

I'm sure she's thinking of the re-election campaign and knows that she needs to be on tv for that.

December 05 2008 at 1:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply