April 24, 2014

Dear Oprah: Power doesn't equal popularity

by Jane Boursaw, posted Dec 6th 2008 11:03AM
Oprah Winfrey most powerful womanI guess I'm not surprised to hear that Oprah Winfrey has been named the most powerful woman in entertainment. You can read the full list here, in The Hollywood Reporter's 17th annual "Women in Entertainment: Power 100" special issue.

OK, here's the thing about this. I really do get why Oprah is powerful. She's in charge of her own show (remember years ago when she fought to gain control and fired a bunch of people?); she's launched a bunch of other shows, including Rachel Ray, Dr. Phil, and maybe Dr. Oz coming up; she opened that school for girls in Africa; people read the books she recommends; they buy the stuff she likes; and she even had a hand in getting Obama into the White House.

But does anyone actually like her show anymore? I watch it only if the guest is interesting, but other than that, I'm just so over Oprah. I don't know anyone else who watches it regularly either. It all just seems so ... what's the word ... sanctimonious? Oprah used to seem like one of us, and that's why I liked her. But now? Not so much. Maybe she's just too powerful. Bonnie Hunt's my new "one of us" person now.

As far as who else is on the list, it's mostly big-wigs at the TV networks and movie studios. Angelina Jolie clocks in at no. 24, Tina Fey at 51, Shonda Rhimes at 56, and Rachael Ray at 65 (more of the Oprah effect).

Oh, and Miley Cyrus comes in at 100. Miley Cyrus! She's 16! I wonder if that one is based on the sheer dollars she generates into the industry. Can't hurt, that's for sure.

Ralph Zuccaro

Its a SAD commentary on the fans who think Oprah is a genius??? Her following is about the Least educated group of T.V. viewers!!!!! She has become famous for "giving things away" Oh how nice and generous she is????? Those who attend the University of Oprah have or earn a Failing grade--- she teaches stupid people how to become more stupid!!!!

December 08 2008 at 12:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joyce N.

I haven't liked or watched Oprah since she was befriended by Maya Angelou, who preached to Oprah about the "gifts" GOD had given her and how she MUST use them to better "their people". "Their people" went from working class of all colors to rich white American women soon after. She doesn't "entertain" or "teach" anymore. she preaches. No thanks.

December 07 2008 at 5:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
KamenRiderTakoyaki

If only Oprah actually ran for President at the height of her popularity as well as her empire... A person can only dream...

December 07 2008 at 7:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Leatha Basco

Give me a break,,,if anyone is RACIST it's OPRAH herself!,,I mean ,,when you hear her on her own xm radio show talking to her RACIST buddy Gayle about how blacks 'use' to work for whites' but now that Oprah has money,,the 'whites' work for her!,,'it was said!!,,it was said over the radio,,evidentally she thought it was 'safe' to make her racist remark,,however the mic was still on!,,and yes it was played for the public!,,now who's RACIST????,,Oh,,but I forgot,,'white's are the 'only' ones capable of being RACIST,,how forgetful of me!,,
I'll never watch her hypocritical butt again!,,rumor has it that her magazine "O' is suppose to be in some type of financial crisis,,I don't know how true this is,,but I sure ain't gonna lose any sleep or tears over it!!!,,and never will!,,when you do 'people' wrong and kiss their butts to their face and stab them in the back once their back is turned?????,,what comes around goes around!,,and I for one look forward in seeing it!,,God has a way of getting 'vengence' a WHOLE lot better than we can,,she's let her head get so BIG,,she won't even claim christianity anymore,,god have mercy on her soul!

December 07 2008 at 7:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Leatha Basco's comment
Uncle Nothing

{Love it. Start a comment with how your comment isn't going to be racist...then write a racist comment.

It's just killing you that a black man got elected, isn't it?

Read this person's other comments. Uh, yeah, Obama's an American citizen. Sorry.}

Don't watch Oprah. Don't get this whole post, though.

"Oprah is more popular than frozen waffles. So, why don't I love Oprah anymore?"

December 07 2008 at 11:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jboursaw

Khia213 - Yeah, race doesn't really factor into it with me. I used to love Oprah, and I'm as white as they come, with red hair and freckles. :-)

Jack - Wouldn't the fact that Oprah can get books on the best-seller list (and help get presidents elected, for that matter) make her powerful?

December 06 2008 at 7:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jack

"I really do get why Oprah is powerful."

Seriously? She takes authors no one knows and puts them on the NY Times bestseller list.

This post makes no sense.

December 06 2008 at 7:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
faye

Good Grief khia, get over your bad self....jeesh! Guess not liking the BIG "O" is racist or something....lol ..I figured out she was in it for the money from the get-go while everyone else thought she was the Bible or something with her life giving (sic) insights....:}

khia213 said...
Funny. That "She's not one of us" comment has been used a lot lately by white folks who suddenly figured out that, gasp, she's black! Her support of Barack Obama was the turning point for quite a few white women. It became clear, that in the end, perhaps Oprah and white women don't have the same interests. But then, she's a freaking millionaire and they're not. Anyone who believed they had a commonality with her was kidding themselves in the first place.

Her refusal to support Hillary Clinton as opposed to someone she knew PERSONALLY before he declared for the nomination, bugs the hell out of white women.

I'm sure Oprah loses not an iota of sleep in her million dollar bed worrying about how she's not one of you. I wouldn't.

December 06 2008 at 7:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
khia213

December 06 2008 at 2:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to khia213's comment
donewitho

It is Oprah who PRETENDED during her entire TV career that race did not matter. Oprah lead everyone to believe that she was non-racist and used it to advance her career. Only AFTER the election did we see the real Oprah, jumping up and down screaming, "We did it, we did it!!!" It is Oprah who is racist. She used the American public to make her millions.

She looked as ridiculous as Tom Cruise, jumping up and down on her couch. That is when we knew we had all been duped.

Now we find out who the real Oprah is -- she's a Big Racist!!!

December 09 2008 at 2:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Amy

I think there's a disconnect with what's happening in America and her show. Her show has a far reach, but is she reflecting back on what's going on in her viewer's lives... not anymore.

I thought her roundtable Friday shows where they talked about the election was on point and interesting, Oprah was engaged in what was happening and not just the moderator. But since then, it's business as usual of shows centered on celebs and forgettable shows, and not being an informative show addressing the scary issues that many are facing today - layoffs, family survival on less money for food, middle class homelessness, etc.

December 06 2008 at 2:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy

Huge fan of Bonnie Hunt. Your "one of us" comment is so right because she never seems to take herself too seriously. However, as for popularity and who watches Oprah? Only about 8 million people on a weekly basis -- that's hugely popular for the syndication world; hell, that's nearly as popular as some so-called network "hits." I can only think of a handful of time I ever watched Oprah, but no one should count the O out just yet.

December 06 2008 at 12:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply