April 24, 2014

Oprah will be getting closer to Obama

by Brad Trechak, posted Dec 7th 2008 11:13AM
Oprah WinfreyAt least in terms of geography. Oprah has recently been named the most powerful woman in entertainment. And now, she's going to prove it by heading to Washington D.C. to be near President-elect Obama when he takes the oath of office on January 20th. She'll be taping a live episode of her show on January 19th, the day before.

I can never prove this, but I'm fairly certain that it was the Oprah endorsement that drove Democratic primary voters away from Hillary Clinton and towards Obama (and if that isn't a display of power, I don't know what is). I don't know how difficult the choice was for her, considering her audience is a female majority. It does beg the question of whether society would benefit more from a victory of race or one of gender.

Mind you, I don't think there was a wrong decision in this instance, but she made her choice and backed a particular horse and is now reaping the benefits. Good for her.

Aime

Hurrah!
Obama is God's choice for now!

December 08 2008 at 3:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
starky22

I think Oprah is getting way too much credit. But then, I don't worship in the Church of Oprah.

December 08 2008 at 3:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
user174305

It's too bad that so many people put so much stock in Oprah's choice for President when her choice had everything to do with race and nothing at all to do with the man's ideas, qualifications or accomplishments.

December 08 2008 at 1:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to user174305's comment
kim

Your comments were on the mark. Oprah is the biggest racist there is. If she had her way, all whites would be put in chains and turned into slaves. Why is that? Because, we are not her people as she so kindly reminds us, but at the same time earns her wealthy living off of many whites. We that fall for her propaganda should be ashamed of ourselves.

December 10 2008 at 11:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
colin

I mean no disrespect but this news made the rounds Wednesday and it's just up on the site today.
Seems to happen a lot.

December 08 2008 at 12:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Janet

Has it occurred to you that it's possible that neither race nor gender figured into Oprah's decision? I voted for Barack Obama and I don't care if he's a purple hermaphrodite.

December 07 2008 at 3:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kate

There's no doubt Oprah put Obama in the white house. Two economists proved that Oprah's edorsement was worth over one million votes in the Democratic primary (especially in places like Iowa). He only beat Hillary by less than half a million votes so without Oprah he would have lost:

December 07 2008 at 3:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Kate's comment
B

I read that analysis when it came out and I came to the conclusion it used a stupid metric and came to a poor conclusion.

December 07 2008 at 7:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anita

You know, I don't really think that Oprah is as powerful as we like to believe or that it was her and her alone that helped get obama into office. First of all, she has tried like the dickens to get her film version of Beloved and Broadway version of the Color Purple taken seriously/accepted but to no avail (compared with other box office returns). Plus, I don't think it's so much a victory of race over gender. That's just an old argument that starts fires unnecessarily. I just think people were ready for a change. Come on, allegedly, this is the worst economic slump in 70 years. On the one hand, it prevents the actors from striking, but on the other that means Susan Lucci might lose her job :(

December 07 2008 at 2:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Anita's comment
rick cokely

This is absolutely true. People wanted a change, they didn't see that in Hillary, so they went with Obama. Anita wins the thread. :D

December 08 2008 at 8:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
malren

"It does beg the question of whether society would benefit more from a victory of race or one of gender."

No. No it does not. or rather, it SHOULD not. The ONLY question should have been "Who is most qualified based on their ideas?"

Gender and racial politics *suck* and should be cause for shame, not elevated to rational discourse. In the words (sort of) of Bill Clinton, it's the ideas, stupid.

December 07 2008 at 1:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cody

I placed a large bet on Obama the day he got the Oprah endorsement. I knew right then that he would win.

December 07 2008 at 12:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

I wish TV Squad would stick to television. You know ... separation of church and state?

December 07 2008 at 11:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Jim's comment
Joey Geraci

Unless you are a worshiper in the Church of Oprah, you are talking gibberish.

December 07 2008 at 12:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eugene

Why am I not surprised that a joke would fly right over your head? You really should look into that profound lack of a sense of humor.

December 07 2008 at 1:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply