December 22, 2014

Desperate Housewives: A Vision's Just a Vision

by Isabelle Carreau, posted Dec 8th 2008 10:24AM
Desperate Housewives
(S05E10) "I'll be with you soon." - Dave

I must admit that I didn't expected the episode to end the way it ended. Oh, I'm not talking about the actual reveal, which I'll talk about after the jump. I'm talking about the fact the last new Desperate Housewives episode before the holidays actually didn't end with a huge cliffhanger (there are a few loose ends and questions but nothing that will prevent me from sleeping until January) and, instead, offered us some answers. Yes, actual answers. Let's talk about them, shall we?

Well, there we have it people, Mike is indeed the target. And, as many suspected, Dave is linked to Lila and Paige Dash, who were killed in the car accident that broke Mike and Susan up five years ago. It's not 100% clear that Dave was married to Lila and that Paige is their daughter but it's more than likely considering the kid's hair.

When at the cemetery, Dave says "I'll be with you soon." What does he mean by that? We know that he will get revenge first (aka more than likely try to kill Susan, MJ and maybe Katherine) but what after that? Does his promise to reunite with Lila and Paige mean that he'll kill himself once he gets his revenge? If so, I hope he doesn't succeed because I've been enjoying twisted and dark Dave very much.

Even if it turned out that the theory I was supporting -- Dave being after Mike -- ended up being the right one, I must say I'm disappointed. Finding out Katherine's secret last season took, well, most of the season. As for Dave's secret, some of the viewers discovered it as soon the season premiere. Just look at what the first person to comment on my review of the premiere said: "My mom seemed to think that Dave was the father+husband of the mom and child that died in the car accident with Susan and Mike." So I'm disappointed because it was too easy to find Dave's secret. Even if I love to get answers sooner rather than later, I enjoy a good year-long mystery that has us guessing every step of the way. Let's hope that the writers put a few twists and turns in Dave's path to revenge.

Speaking of twists and turns, the Scavos had a few to face this week. I'm looking forward to see how they get out of this one because Tom and Lynette could face jail time if someone finds out that they had Preston appear in court instead of Porter. Actually, Porter could spend some time in juvenile detention for skipping town when he was set to appear in court; Preston could spend some time in detention too for pretending to be Porter; Lynette could face justice for sending Preston in court and not reporting Porter's disappearance, paying a potential witness to flee, and for putting back the gun in its place; as for Tom, he is an accomplice even if Lynette is pulling the strings, meaning he could face some jail time too. Poor Penny and Parker! They are certainly growing up in a messy house!

For those wondering where Jackson was during the whole "MJ thinks that his parents will get back together" phase, remember that Gale Harold was in a terrible accident at the time this episode was in production so he had to be written out of the episode. This was a cutesy storyline and the young actor playing MJ wasn't half bad. I must admit that I like seeing Mike and Katherine happy together and somewhat hope that Susan and Mike don't get back together. But it wouldn't surprise me that they get back together, even if temporarily, once they face whatever drama Dave will throw at them.

Once again this week, Gaby and Carlos show us they have a purpose and can be interesting. It was really nice to see, for a few seconds, the world through Carlos' "new" eyes. It was touching and entertaining to see him regain his sight little by little and discover all the sacrifices Gaby had to make over the years to keep the family together on Wisteria Lane.

Everything may be peachy between Bree, Andrew and Alex, but just wait for the wedding preparations to begin! Preparations will surely bring on some laughs and put Andrew and Bree at odds over the choice of flowers and main course!

Desperate Housewives is now going on Holiday hiatus. The next new episode is set to air on January 4.

Housewives' Show & Cast Pics

Marcia Cross sighting on September 28, 2008 in Los Angeles, California.

Jean Baptiste Lacroix/WireImage.com

Marcia Cross sighting on September 28, 2008 in Los Angeles, California.

Jean Baptiste Lacroix/WireImage.com

Marcia Cross sighting on September 28, 2008 in Los Angeles, California.

Jean Baptiste Lacroix/WireImage.com

Marcia Cross sighting on September 28, 2008 in Los Angeles, California.

Jean Baptiste Lacroix/WireImage.com

Marcia Cross sighting on September 28, 2008 in Los Angeles, California.

Jean Baptiste Lacroix/WireImage.com

Marcia Cross sighting on September 28, 2008 in Los Angeles, California.

Jean Baptiste Lacroix/WireImage.com

Marcia Cross sighting on September 28, 2008 in Los Angeles, California.

Jean Baptiste Lacroix/WireImage.com

Tony Parker and Eva Longoria Parker arrive at the EA Sports Presents NBA Live 09 VIP Launch Party at Beso on September 26, 2008 in Hollywood, California.

Jesse Grant/WireImage.com

Jesse Grant/WireImage.com

Actress Eva Longoria arrives at the EA Sports Presents NBA Live 09 VIP Launch Party at Beso on September 26, 2008 in Hollywood, California.

Jesse Grant/WireImage.com

cee

I missed Jackson. I love Susan with him more so than with Mike. Hope to see him return soon. And wish him a full recovery. He and Susan are artists (one painter and the other children's book illustrator), and thus have lots in common to talk about. He is more laid back, so it looks like he won't be driven nuts by Susan's constant drama acts, like Mike did.

December 10 2008 at 7:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
simone

didn't dave say that he was after somebody who killed or injured his brother in jail a few episodes ago ...?

December 10 2008 at 5:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to simone's comment
Isabelle Carreau

He could have been lying to Edie and put on a show so that she would stop asking questions about his family.

December 11 2008 at 8:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steve_F

ATTN: Stephen*J*

I suspect the "charges" were probably dropped by his wife Lila (or whatever her real idenity is).

December 09 2008 at 2:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steve_F

It will be interesting to see how the writers fit Dave into the lives of
Lila and Paige Dash, considering how they died so tragically and no one
knows that Dave is related to them. You'd think that he would have been
present at the funeral, or at some kind of insurance arbitration or court
proceeding regarding the accident. I suspect that Lila and Paige may have
actually been on the lamb hiding from Dave. I seem to recall Dave's
psychiatrist looking at a document at the end of an episode. The document
was lurred out, but I could make out the word "Spouse" and it was signed.
The signature wasn't very legible but looked something like "Vonda or Viola
Alderidge". Also the Patient section of the form had the last name Alderidge
too. Again it wasn't very clear, but I suspect another major twist in the
plot.

December 09 2008 at 12:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sue

I am confused. In first episode of this season, wasn't it Susan that was driving when they got into the accident? Why is Dave after Mike?

December 09 2008 at 10:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Sue's comment
Isabelle Carreau

I rewatched the crash scene and yes, it was Susan at the wheel. I guess that Dave doesn't know this detail.

December 09 2008 at 10:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Albert

I think the lack of housewives scenes for some scene where they'd seem necessary is due to the amount of story this show manages to tell in 41 minutes and just purely shooting schedules. I mean, I LOVE when they're together but also understand when they're not.

Hopefully Lynette gets to lean on her friends soon with all her various crises.

December 08 2008 at 9:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Stephen*J*

I was stilled shocked at Dave's target even though it was pretty obvious to everyone :). But I'm still intrigued by the mystery, I was watching videos of episode 1 this season and at the end Dr Heller said "The charges were dropped because you agreed to put yourself in a doctor's care". I'm interested in this info, what charges? Did he do something awful because h was angry about the accident? I wonder what it means?

Anyway, I'm loving the 5 year leap and the season overall. I enjoy reading these reviews as well

December 08 2008 at 7:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Adam

Sorry but you people need to watch the show more.
Flashback season 2 finale Lynette says she is pregnant with twins when saying she only agreed to one baby.
The twins say their age many times, along with Parker. Kayla is 2 years older than the twins.
And as for the mystery, I think there will be more to it, its DH after all!

December 08 2008 at 4:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kim

I have to admit that, despite how skeptical I was about the five year jump, I'm really enjoying this season. I'm interested to see how far Lynette will go to protect Porter. Would she kill to protect him?

This season has also brought a new fondness for Gabby and Carlos. They have both grown from self-centered superficial people without losing it entirely. It's just the right balance. What happened to crazy rich lady?

I did find myself wondering why there were no scenes in this episode with Lynette receiving some emotional support from any of her friends.

December 08 2008 at 12:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Kim's comment
Isabelle Carreau

Cheryl: You are right about Kayla. I didn't question the info I found on the websites but now that you mention it, Tom did have his affair prior to him being with Lynette so Kayla is the eldest.

One thing is sure about the twins and Parker, something ain't right in that timeline.

December 08 2008 at 1:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Seb

From S1 Episode: Love is in the air

Mrs. McCluskey: "That's it, huh? Didn't you know that stealing is wrong? How old are you anyway?"
Twin: "We're six."
Mrs. McCluskey: "And how old are you?"
Parker: "Five."
Mrs. McCluskey: "Well, your mother just pops 'em out, doesn't she?"
Twin: "How old are you?"
Mrs. McCluskey: "How old do you think?"
Twin: "A hundred and fifty."

December 08 2008 at 3:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
AJ

can they please give Eva Longoria an emmy nomination already?

December 08 2008 at 12:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply