November 1, 2014

NBC gives up on 10 PM; puts Leno in slot

by Brad Trechak, posted Dec 8th 2008 8:04PM
Jay LenoApparently, someone has it from a reliable source that Leno is going to stay at NBC and be given the 10 PM ET weeknight slot at the network (yup, that's every weeknight, Monday through Friday), starting this fall.

I have mixed feelings about it. One one hand, if anybody has the fame to make the 10 PM slot mean something, it's Jay. On the other hand, why stay at the network that gave away his show to someone else? The person that would benefit most from this is Jimmy Kimmel whose position in late night is no longer threatened.

It's a shame. I was hoping he'd use his free time to film a sequel to Collision Course. Yeah, Pat Morita is dead. So what?

Of course it's being assumed that Leno's move to 10 PM would be for a talk show. It could be something else entirely. A variety hour? A news program? A drama about a cop Okay, it's going to be a talk show. The big question, though: What shows do you think are going to be sacrificed to make room for Jay? Let me know in the comments.

Larry Carter

Having worked for NBC for 26 years in Burbqnk, I had the priviledge of working with Johnny Carson (the best) and Jay Leno (the nicest). I retired in 2003 and had already decided that I would not be able to watch Conan O'Brien! and would switch to Kimmel or Ferguson as I do now when Conan comes on. I guess my loyalties to the Peacock make me happy that Jay is staying. I doubt we'll have to worry about Conan for long. I don't think he'll be able to keep the Tonight Show going for long.

December 09 2008 at 1:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David D

Add to this the fact that none of the networks air first-run programming on Saturdays -- will we have a "Best of Primetime Jay" on Saturday nights?

December 09 2008 at 1:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jay

If Leno is staying, at least keep Conan in New York.

My biggest concern with the original plan was that Conan would potentially be a fish out of water by being in California.

This has already been an embarassment, moving him to California would do him no favors.

December 09 2008 at 11:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Justin

Not that I figured Life was longed for our world with Lost being its timeslot competitor come January but now I have a guarantee it's not coming back--and for what? Leno?

NBC is so, so dumb. They have the George Bush of network execs at the moment.

December 09 2008 at 11:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
modenadude

wow, why are there so many Conan haters here? That's surprising. This move is a bummer for Conan, a huge one. Conan is about to take over The Tonight Show, and he's STILL playing second fiddle to Jay. This sucks.

December 09 2008 at 10:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CJ

Really? That's fine for the east coasters that go to bed early, but that sounds really annoying to some of us in the Central Time Zone. 9:00 (for us) is the time I'm done with chores, errands and eating dinner and expect to have some good TV on. I agree with a poster above, Jay Leno is Americas sweatpants.

December 09 2008 at 10:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

P.S. Another thing to consider: The competition with the other networks is obvious, but what about the competition within NBC? Aren't Leno, Conan and Fallon going to be fighting each other for guests? With fewer prime-time shows, there won't be many NBC stars to book!

December 09 2008 at 10:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

What the heck are the idiots at NBC smoking??? FOX already goes off the air at 9/10 and this will be the equivalent of NBC doing the same thing. Watch ABC and CBS ratings for that hour skyrocket as NBC tanks. Not that hard to predict here dudes!

I am also predicting some potential show defections to the other networks as a result. Not that NBC really has anything left to move around but geeez... I wouldn't want to stay on at a place that's basically throwing in the towel on its scheduling... Just CRAZY!!!

December 09 2008 at 7:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Michael's comment
Jim

> Watch ABC and CBS ratings for that hour skyrocket as NBC tanks.

It's already happened. NBC has one show in the top 20, and it's Sunday Night Football.

December 09 2008 at 9:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

What a cop-out. I know what a horrible record NBC's had lately with scripted shows, but giving up on 5 hours of prime time? Wow.

My only question is how long are they contractually obligated to continue the show? Let's say ratings start out OK. Then, a month or two in, ratings dive, lower than their old 10pm shows. Any scripted show would be cancelled right away. What happens to Leno, who has a contract? How long do they run a failing show?

And it will fail, I have no doubt. At least it won't get the ratings they covet, in the right demographic. Does NBC want to be the new CBS, in terms of older viewers? Because this is a fine way to do it. Goes against their brand, but I guess it's cheaper than paying creative people to write and develop scripted television series. And that's the bottom line.

December 09 2008 at 7:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John Stewart

NBC fails, even more so than FOX.

December 09 2008 at 6:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply