November 27, 2014

Wait a second, Katherine Heigl makes HOW much money?

by Bob Sassone, posted Dec 8th 2008 7:00PM
There are three things I know about Katherine Heigl.

1. She stars in ABC's Grey's Anatomy.

2. She's not afraid to speak up if she thinks the show's writers have screwed up.

3. She'll never let you hear the end of it if you pronounce her name wrong, and she'll hunt you down like a dog.

Now there's a fourth thing I know about Heigl: she's the fifth highest paid actress in Hollywood.

Now please note that I don't mean she's the fifth highest paid actress just on television, I mean she's the fifth highest in general. With her $13 million, she comes in behind Angelina Jolie, Julia Roberts, Reese Witherspoon, and Cameron Diaz. I'm amazed that Diaz is on such a list, but I'm even more amazed that Heigl is right behind her. What exactly is this based on, besides Grey's Anatomy and Knocked Up? I want her agent.

I wonder if this is accurate though. I mean, she gets $13 million for one season of a TV show and those other stars get anywhere between $10 million and $20 million a movie, and sometimes do more than one movie a year. It's a lot of money no matter how you say it though.

Grey's Anatomy' Photos

Actress Chandra Wilson attends the screening of her new public service announcement produced by OTCSafety.org at Edelman headquarters on September 24, 2008 in New York City.

Joe Corrigan/WireImage.com

Joe Corrigan/WireImage.com

NEW YORK - SEPTEMBER 24: Actress Chandra Wilson attends the screening of a new public service announcement for OTCsafety.org at the Edelman headquarters on September 24, 2008 in New York City. (Photo by Neilson Barnard/Getty Images) *** Local Caption *** Chandra Wilson

Getty Images

Getty Images

Getty Images

Actor Patrick Dempsey (R) and wife Jillian Dempsey arrive at the 60th Primetime Emmy Awards at the Nokia Theater on September 21, 2008 in Los Angeles, California.

Dan MacMedan/WireImage.com

Chandra Wilson and Debra Birnbaum, Editor-in-Chief of TV Guide Magazine, arrive at TV Guide

Chris Weeks/WireImage.com

Actress Chandra Wilson arrives at the 60th Primetime Emmy Awards at the Nokia Theater on September 21, 2008 in Los Angeles, California.

Steve Granitz/WireImage.com

Actor Patrick Dempsey poss in the press room during the 60th Primetime Emmy Awards at the Nokia Theatre on September 21, 2008 in Los Angeles, California.

Dan MacMedan/WireImage.com

(L-R) Actors Sandra Oh and Patrick Dempsey pose in the press room during the 60th Primetime Emmy Awards at the Nokia Theatre on September 21, 2008 in Los Angeles, California.

Dan MacMedan/WireImage.com

Cameron

Dave I can think of three far more talented actresses not on that list: Ann Hathaway, Charlize Theron and Renee Zellweger.

December 09 2008 at 12:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Cameron's comment
Observer

I think we can all think of 3 more talented actresses than Ms. Heigl, how about Lauren Conrad, Tyra Banks and New York (Of I love New york Fame).

By the way this is a different Dave.

December 09 2008 at 3:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dave

Fifth place is entirely believable. Perhaps Bob could enlighten us with another actress who he thinks would be more deserving. I can't come up with one.

Cameron Diaz is rolling in Shrek money. That's where her ranking comes from.

December 09 2008 at 8:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SadOldMan

I am still in therapy after my wife forced my to watch that dresses movie.

And on GA, she's in the middle of the most hated storyline in the history of television.

Light up another ciggy, and enjoy your 15 minutes.

December 09 2008 at 8:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Darren

Having worked with Katherine Heigl as an extra I can say, as far as I am concerned, that she is an absolute joy. She is very approachable, friendly and down to earth. The earning figures are also based on her fee for 27 Dresses and her new movie The Ugly Truth which is out next year I believe. Beautiful, funny and intelligent - to me the only surprise is that she is not top of the list.

December 09 2008 at 4:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe stalin

Thats about 6.5 mill per talent? Yeah not so much. And considering what a PITA she is to work with you'd think that number will be dropping soon. say around the time Shonda kills her off with the whatever is wrong with her brain.... (on the show ;) ).

And how exactly is it pronounced? Like bagel with an "H"? "haggle"? "heil-gel"?

December 08 2008 at 11:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
StillBash

By those calculation methods, Jerry Seinfeld is paid 1000 million. Because he got that much in royalties for Seinfeld in Syndication, per episode starring in it and for his movies.

Seriously, this post is... ah yes.

From Bob Sassone.

December 08 2008 at 9:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Darren

She deserves it!!!

December 08 2008 at 8:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tracey

I'd think that this writer in particular would be able to understand where they came up with that $13 million number. Unless it's just a headline/story that's written in a manner to get readers. Either your ignorant or using tabloid tactics.

For the record, I think it's still an outrageous sum.

December 08 2008 at 7:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1iPete

I believe the $13M calculation was based on her making $225k per episode of GA and a $6M salary for her next movie which combined puts her around $13M.

She is not the highest paid on GA and the salary is probably due to her Emmy and that GA is a top 5 demographic show. The movie salary is reflective that she has had 2 box office hits in the last year, Knocked Up and 27 Dresses.

It's a nice rant you had, but movie salaries are based on box office success and she has had it in a very limited landscape of women who bring in box office numbers. 27 Dresses did $27M in it's opening weekend and it was entirely her vehicle; Nicole Kidman and Australia would have loved to match that.

December 08 2008 at 7:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JACOB AFILLISARD

THAT IS BLASPHEMY. HER "TALENTS" DO NOT DESERVE THAT MUCH OF A REWARD.

December 08 2008 at 7:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply