October 26, 2014

Heroes: Our Father

by Kona Gallagher, posted Dec 9th 2008 3:45PM
heroes our father
(S03E12)
So you think your last office birthday party was bad? Well, you've obviously never invited Sylar to one of your gatherings. That was the main thing I learned this week: if there's an invitation list, it's better to keep Sylar off of it--lest you want your birthday cake covered in blood.

While that was probably the most disturbing part of the episode, it probably wasn't the most important--after all, it was pretty inevitable that Sylar would be back to doing his Sylar thing eventually. The catalyst was actually the driving force behind this episode. Who gives it and who takes it plays a big role in what happens, and ends up ending one of my least favorite storylines from recent weeks.

We saw at the end of last week that Claire and Hiro were finally going to get some screen time together, as he pulls her back 16 years and watches Hiro's father turn over the baby version of herself to HRG. Although they didn't do much together, it was about time that we got to see Hiro with the cheerleader he's been so intent on saving.

Claire's decision to save the baby version of herself from becoming the catalyst ended up being kind of creepy. She follows her mother home, pretends to be their neighbor's niece, and quickly proceeds to change her own diaper. This whole scene also bothers me because while they caked her mother's face in enough pancake to fill an IHOP, they didn't do anything to HRG to make him look sixteen years younger.

Since Claire's not-so-clever idea still managed to prevent her from becoming the catalyst, we still needed to find somewhere for it to go. I like that we finally get to see Hiro's mother and find out that she had powers as well. I do find it interesting that despite the fact that she seems to be a healer, she can't save herself. She dies after giving Hiro the catalyst, and it makes me wonder if her illness was brought on by the catalyst itself, or if that was what was keeping her alive. In any case, I'm so happy that she gave Hiro his memory back. I've had just about enough of 10-year-old Hiro and his waffle fetish.

Hiro's possession of the catalyst is predictably short-lived, since Arthur tries to steal it from him. I actually wasn't expecting anyone to die in this scene, since it is Heroes, after all, and nobody ever dies. However, this episode was full of surprises for me. Not only is Elle actually dead, but Arthur appears to bite the big one as well.

Despite the fact that Angela has been trying to bump off her husband for a while now, even enlisting Peter to do her dirty work for her, it was Sylar's daddy issues that allow him to actually get the job done.

• So, seriously. I was really sad to see that Sylar had actually killed Elle. I love Kristen Bell and enjoyed her and Gabriel/Sylar together. How is it that Ali Larter plays three really boring characters and stays on the show forever, but Elle gets her head sliced open?
  • It was nice to see Ando interacting with someone other than Hiro, and I'm really hoping that he gets some powers of his own.
  • I kind of like how Sylar just seems to be killing because he missed it. I'm pretty sure he could have gotten what he wanted from Elle without murdering her, and that entire office party was a bit superfluous. Also: hilarious.
  • Next week is the last episode of the calendar year, and I'm pretty excited. They seem to be tying up some of the fifty million storylines and streamlining the whole operation a bit. I have high hopes for next week's episode.

John

Can someone explain two things to me:

1) If Arthur already knew that Claire had the catalyst and had the ability (from Peter) to jump to any place and time, why did he bother sending people after her instead of jumping to a point in history in which her location was known (say Homecoming)

2) How is Arthur dead? He had healing ability (doubly so - first from Adam then from Peter). Plus he was in possession of the catalyst - According to Sylar, he couldn't kill Claire if he wanted to - precisely because she had the catalyst.

I know continuity is often difficult in shows like this, but you'd think they'd at least be able to keep things consistent w/i a single season.

December 11 2008 at 3:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to John's comment
LC

1) Good question. If I had to hazard a guess I would say maybe Arthur used his precog ability and found out the best way to get the catalyst was at that point in time. This is the beef I have with the whole time travel thing. I mean if he wanted to stop all his foes, he could simply eliminate most of them before their powers manifest. Hell, he could have stopped Angela from poisoning him. They only thing I can tell is that mucking up the timeline in this way would jeopardize his plans. Lord knows it never worked out well for Peter and Hiro.

2) He could heal from anything as long as his power was active or it wasn't damage to his brain. Claire died when she was powerless, but her brain wasn't injured, which is how she was able to heal. Arthur died powerless with a gunshot to the brain. If he turns out being alive after all, they should just once and for all mention that a bullet to the brain is useless.

December 11 2008 at 5:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dhuh

they act like 16 years ago is an inescapable capsule of time.
either, Hiro's dies there (if this were true you would think it would be called "Hiro, Killed" not "Hiro, Trapped in Time"), or there is a 16 year older Hiro walking around present day. (I hope he's got a sword, at least)

December 10 2008 at 5:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LC

One thing that bugs me is why they keep referring to the Haitian as "The Haitian". He has had dialog the last couple of seasons, works for the company and knows Noah fairly well. You would think they would use his name by now.

December 10 2008 at 12:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to LC's comment
Franklin

Does he even have a name? If not, they need to finally give the guy one.

December 10 2008 at 10:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe

So does Claire still have the catalyst I would think so. Because in her past history she got it then when she went back in time she made sure to not get it but she still has it from the first time around so then both She and Hiro have well Hiro not for long at least.

Why do every one I like die Elle was a breath of fresh air on the show. I also liked Adam now He is dead too. I do think there might be a chance some day for Elle though why because when she comes back to life she will be very angry and could make for a great bad guy.

Arthur is not dead just take the bullet out and He comes back to life.

Sylar I want to see him kill less people He now knows He can kill but at the same time get there power like He did with Elle.

I want to see a powerful Ando and we could see a older Hiro now too because in the real time line Hiro was sent back in time and so Hiro would be 16 years older in the real time line.

December 10 2008 at 11:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jffm

Wow, people are actually assuming Arthur Petrelli is dead?My *first* reaction was that Peter had blown it. Angela specifically said to shoot him in the *back* of the head and that's exactly what didn't happen. I'm assuming that the back of the head is vital to destroying or disrupting some vital part of the brain to keep the him dead. Sort of a callback to when Peter stayed dead till the object was removed from the back of his head.

Such a point was made of it I'm surprised people are saying that they're going to be disappointed if we see Arthur again.

Well I'll enjoy the next episode, then wait for the things to ramp up again in February.

December 10 2008 at 12:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Stacie23

I like that we finally got how Peter got his scar on his cheek. We have been waiting for 3 seasons for it, so at least they followed up on that and didn't let it drop.

December 10 2008 at 12:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jane

I'm not sure that Peter got his powers back. I think he might have the catalyst though. He was the only person left in the room when we see the visual clue of the catalyst.

December 09 2008 at 11:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

My quick comment on this ep... Not only is Heroes stealing story lines from The 4400 (super soldiers imbued with special powers?), but they're also stealing actors too? Chad Faust, who played Kyle in The 4400, was this week's guinea pig soldier. Have they no shame?!?

I actually thought the episode was pretty good with the exception of leaving Hiro in the past and Elle getting killed. I'm glad to see Papa Petrelli gone (please be gone!) and really hope all of Ali Larter's characters are done by the end of the season.

-MJT

December 09 2008 at 9:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott R

I think Sylar was channeling a little bit of Dexter in his murders. Something about the nonchalant attitude combined with blood and grim humour. All we needed was a few 'in the head' voice overs, which we nearly got on the elevator with the 'it does tingle' line.

I liked the ep, though I've been liking the season, unlike many folks around here. In particular, the scene where they inject the soldier with the serum fulfills a lot of comic book archetypes: You've got the hot chick, politician in a suit (who may be president someday), and the crazy scientist that has something wrong with him. You could just see it as a flashback in Captain America's, errm, the soldier guy's future.

Ando was great too, poking fun at the show's sometimes puzzling 'how did they get there or know about that?' type moments.

December 09 2008 at 9:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John Stewart

Quinto is amazing as Sylar, the funniest moments of the episode belonged to him and all he need were a few words to capture the scene perfectly. Who knew a murderer could be so much fun? =P

Hiro and Claire fail at time-travel, actually the writers do. Hasn't it been established in sci-fi that the first rule of time-travel is to not interact with yourself, much less make physical contact with yourself. Claire should have ended the universe by holding the baby version of herself, but no it's cool, nothing happened. -_- Even Back to the Future knew about this rule in the 80's, and even The Sarah Jane Adventures understands this as well.

I'm glad Arthur is dead, characters need to die to progress the storyline. Ali Larter's characters are boring, so she can go and I don't think anyone would care. The show seems to be streamlining it's story telling a bit, so yay for that.

December 09 2008 at 8:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to John Stewart's comment
LC

Well, not all sci fi follows this rule. Sometimes time travel interference is needed, like in Star Trek IV. Quantum Leap based its entire run on changing the past. Hell, Doctor Who does it all the time.

December 09 2008 at 9:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LC

My bad, I thought you posted about changing the past as a whole. Still, I don't see how it can be any worse to interact with ones self in the past over interacting with anyone else. Maybe big Hiro was supposed to meet little Hiro.

December 09 2008 at 9:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply