July 30, 2014

How I Met Your Mother: The Fight

by Joel Keller, posted Dec 9th 2008 1:23AM
How I Met Your Mother: The Fight
(S04E10)
This was one of those episodes that wasn't overly funny, but it went a long way in exploring the various personalities of the entire Scooby gang. We learned that Ted needed to fight to help him not be the pathetic guy who was left at the altar. We found out that Barney will still resort to deceit to land Robin, but there's at least love underneath that deceit. We also found out that Robin gets hot for guys with shiners, Marshall and his brothers really wailed away at each other, and that Lily is the laziest, horniest teacher in New York. Well, we kinda knew that about Lily anyway, but I had to find something for all of the gang.

Former MadTVer Will Sasso was our guest du jour this week, and let's just say that he didn't have to stretch that much as Doug the bartender. Big guy. Nuts. Likes to hit people while blacked out. Paranoid about what people think of his hair. Like I said, not a stretch. The most interesting part was when he was inserted in scenes at MacLaren's that have already happened. At first I thought they digitally inserted Sasso in those scenes, but now I think they just reshot the scenes with Sasso in them.

Lots of flashbacks and flash-forwards in this episode -- another shot of the goat! -- but the only ones that really revealed anything were the ones involving Marshall. Now the truth about how Marshall roughhoused with his brothers is probably somewhere in between the tickle fights and cocoa that Ted and Barney imagined and the Fight Club-esque scene Old Ted imagined it was (what movie was that scene parodying, by the way?), but seeing both scenes was worth it.

Robin's love of guys who fight was super-sexy... just that look on Cobie's face as she said "If you're missin' your teeth, I'm missin' my pants!" was priceless, as was her awkward date proposal to Barney right before Marshall ratted Barn and Ted out for their self-abuse. I bet Marshall ends up using his lawyerly knowledge to screw with his friends a lot as the years go on. But no matter how lawyerly or manly he may seem, he can't keep two ruffians in Lily's class from calling him a wuss. Ah, the plight of the stealth brute...

More fun stuff:
  • The Best Barneyism was his use of titles of '70s and '80s black sitcoms as a conversation substitute when he's locked in on a conquest. When Doug mentions that they're going to go to the alley to fight the occupants of their usual booth, Barney responds by saying "What's Happening Now?" Figures he doesn't disengage even when violence is afoot.
  • When we flash back to Marshall and Ted watching a karate movie in college, Marshall is eating a huge sandwich. Anyone who's seen the show knows what sandwiches represent... what the hell was Marshall smoking that was that big?
  • Mahatma Panda and Martin Luther Koala. Boy, that Marshall is creative.
  • Alyson Hannigan must be starting to show a bit, because she wore a number of baggy blouses and sat behind a lot of tables this week. How long before we see that with Cobie?
  • Apparently, what Marshall's been reading on the message boards does come true, as he uses a green light saber to cut the Thanksgiving turkey "3-5 years from now." Boy, I can't wait until that day myself...
Like I said, not a spectacular episode but fun just because of what we saw in each of the main characters. Do I expect more? Sure. But they can't all be winners; as long as they're not completely cliched messes, I'm usually pretty happy.

How I Met Your Mother' Photos

Actor Neil Patrick Harris arrives in an Audi to the Entertainment Tonight Emmy Party at the Disney Concert Hall on September 21, 2008 in Los Angeles.

Kevin Parry/WireImage.com

Presenters Kristin Chenoweth and Neil Patrick Harris on stage at the 60th Primetime Emmy Awards held at the NOKIA Theatre on September 21, 2008 in Los Angeles, California.

Mathew Imaging/WireImage.com

Mathew Imaging/WireImage.com

LOS ANGELES, CA - SEPTEMBER 21: Presenters Kristin Chenoweth and Neil Patrick Harris speak onstage during the 60th Primetime Emmy Awards held at Nokia Theatre on September 21, 2008 in Los Angeles, California. (Photo by Kevin Winter/Getty Images) *** Local Caption *** Kristin Chenoweth;Neil Patrick Harris

Getty Images

LOS ANGELES, CA - SEPTEMBER 21: Actor Neil Patrick Harris (R) and David Burtka arrive at the 60th Primetime Emmy Awards held at Nokia Theatre on September 21, 2008 in Los Angeles, California. (Photo by Frazer Harrison/Getty Images) *** Local Caption *** David Burtka;Neil Patrick Harris

Getty Images

Actor Jason Segel attends CBS Comedies

Jason LaVeris/FilmMagic.com

Actress Cobie Smulders attends CBS Comedies

Jason LaVeris/FilmMagic.com

Actress Cobie Smulders attends CBS Comedies

Jason LaVeris/FilmMagic.com

Actor Neil Patrick Harris attends CBS Comedies

Jason LaVeris/FilmMagic.com

Actress Alyson Hannigan (R) and her husband, actor Alexis Denisof attend CBS Comedies

Jason LaVeris/FilmMagic.com

dani

what about when they fought the high school kids at the prom?

December 11 2008 at 12:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan S.

I hope the goat episode is going to live up to the hype that they have been giving it, but that might be the punchline that the Goat story at Ted's 30th isn't all the great...Ted just thinks it is great

December 10 2008 at 12:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Killashrek

Did anyone else think this episode was out of place?Because the episodes bewteen when he gets left and this,being left at the alter is mentioned nearly as much as it was in this episode...

December 09 2008 at 8:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
borgetas

Loved the Thanksgiving part in the end...did you noticed that the mayo salad that Marshall's Family does was on the Table? And that there was also a stroller? (Maybe it is not from Lily, but you never know...)
This episode was kinda lame, it had its funny parts, but the fighting theme was boring.
Jason finally cut his hair! I hated that long hair he had and it was messing with the flashbacks, so it's much better this way.
Hope they make a really good episode soon, kinda tired of these lame ones...

December 09 2008 at 2:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
joe

did anyone else notice the stroller in the thanksgiving scene?

December 09 2008 at 11:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to joe's comment
Akbar Fazil

Did anyone else notice that there were other family members and kids there too? It could just have easily been a different childs stroller as much as it could have been Marshall and Lily's.

December 09 2008 at 7:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Don-Don

What happened to Carl?

December 09 2008 at 10:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Don-Don's comment
Dorv

Carl was in there, I think. Wasn't he at the bar when the guys wanted to start the fight until they realized Doug wasn't there?

December 09 2008 at 1:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Akbar Fazil

Actually, Carl hasnt been on the show since last year IIRC.

December 09 2008 at 7:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dave

The bartender's name is Dave, not Ralph.

December 09 2008 at 8:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Dave's comment
Joel Keller

Actually, the bartender's name is Doug. I even had it as Doug in my notes. But when I went to type, "Ralph" came out. Oh, well. I fixed the text of the post.

December 09 2008 at 8:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Allison Solow

Have to disagree; I was really disappointed in this episode. Just not that funny. The whole fight concept was lame, especially when you recall that the Erickson family are big, hockey playing Minnesotans and most assuredly would know how to rough house.

I don't know -- I expect better from HIMYM. It feels like they've been coasting for a few episodes. Is Robin ever getting a job? What is she doing for money? Maybe she's doing underground Robin Sparkles' videos. That would be funny!

December 09 2008 at 7:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris Wyant

Is anyone else glad that Jason Segel finally cut his hair? It was starting to mess with the continuity (mostly those clever flashbacks).

I did find it funny how gratuitous they were with inserting Will Sasso in the flashbacks, grinning like an idiot and waving.

Robin's penchant for hockey guys and violence was hilarious. Barney's efforts to woo her, even more so.

Is it me or has it been a while since we've had an "instant classic" episode? As the season goes on, I think I'd like to see Ted drive the ongoing story more. That's not to say I want our favorite characters relegated to the background, as they are important to the show, but I think I'd like to see them go back to basics a bit. Sappy Ted A story coupled with a wacky B story. Also, more Barney theories please!

December 09 2008 at 7:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Chris Wyant's comment
Jennifer

YES - glad the moppy hair is gone!

December 10 2008 at 1:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Katie

Brian, I thought of the same thing concerning Marshall and the Liberty Bell episode although it was hilarious seeing him and his brothers brawling to Murder Train. During the Thanksgiving scene at the end with the lightsaber, Lily looked extremely pregnant to me and I was wondering if that was Alyson pregnant or if Lily was supposed to be pregnant and they were not hiding it anymore.

December 09 2008 at 7:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply