October 23, 2014

What is the Retro Television Network, and how do I get it?

by Bob Sassone, posted Dec 9th 2008 3:02PM
RTN logoI don't get RTN (Retro Television Network) where I live. If you go to their web site and scroll down, you'll see that the network isn't in every state yet. But it's something I'd like to see on my local cable system.

RTN is a channel that shows a lot of old TV shows. It's sort of what TV Land used to be, a long time ago, before they started to get into reality shows, movies, and Extreme Makeover.

The channel is still at a time in their history where they have the freedom to not only air cult-yet-mainstream shows like the original Battlestar Galactica, The Incredible Hulk, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, Leave It To Beaver, and Magnum, P.i., they're also airing such shows as Delvecchio (!), It Takes A Thief (!), Kate and Allie (!), the original 50s version of Mike Hammer (!), Run For Your Life (!), and The Bold Ones (!). As you can see, this is one eclectic network. They also have original programming such as talk shows, RTN Mystery Theater, and Offbeat Cinema. Robin Leach is going to host a show on the network, too.

I'd like to see this channel spread out more across the country. And what I mean by that is, I wish it was on where I live. I think if it became too popular, the programming would change. But it seems like a great option for people who used to love TV Land and Nickelodeon, but haven't been happy with some of the changes.

I mean ... Delvecchio!

Evone

We want AIRWOLF!!

January 26 2009 at 11:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Evone

We watched the RTN for a week or so, then poof it was gone, WLMT 30 Memphis, I want AIRWOLF back. We watched this when our sons were small, and we want to watch it again. Please get us Airwolf!!!! We are on Windjammer cable now, not Time Warner

January 26 2009 at 11:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David Munkhoff

Brighthouse Cable in Orlando carries RTN but the local affiliate that hosts it runs it's so called weekly broadcasting tests almost daily during McHale's Navy or Jack Benny. If the Retro Network was on Direct TV or Dish I would gladly switch from cable to avoid the local commercials and bogus emergency tests. The Retro Channel and Ted Turner's movie channel are the only channels I really need. TV Land used to be good but now it's little underage programmers seem to think Scrubs qualifies as classic television.

December 10 2008 at 5:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Monty

Well it lists our SF channel as an affiliate, but none of that programming appears at all. In fact after losing the NBC license they pretty much just run local programming or infomericals and the occasional syndicated show like Dr. Phil. I'd love to see them at least show some of this programming during the weekend or late at night, I'd definitely tune in.

December 10 2008 at 1:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
WhatI

One key here not mentioned" RTN programming is not the same in every market - the affiliates are able to carry the shows that they want to - so the shows listed on their website aren't necessarily going to to be on your local RTN station.

December 09 2008 at 6:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jrd

It Takes a Thief!!! I LOVED It Takes a Thief!

December 09 2008 at 6:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jordancda

Just one more kick ass reason to live in Northern Idaho. Come join the fun...

December 09 2008 at 5:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan

I don't know if they would be directly added to cable systems. My impression of RTN is that it was a service offered to broadcasters looking for something, anything, to add to their digital TV offerings. Something to show people that there's something "extra" by upgrading to over-the-air DTV.

Of course, if it's offered over-the-air, I'm sure the broadcasters would then push to have it added to cable systems.

December 09 2008 at 5:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jdfrietze

Ok, so is the cut "click here to read more" automatic after a certain number of lines or characters? 'Cause this isn't the first time I've bothered to click on a link expecting some in depth article below the fold, to find one more paragraph. Why bother?

December 09 2008 at 5:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply