July 28, 2014

Two extra seasons for Desperate Housewives? Not feeling it

by Jane Boursaw, posted Dec 10th 2008 9:02PM
Desperate Housewives - two extra seasons?I read today that Desperate Housewives might run for an extra two seasons, instead of the original seven planned by creator Marc Cherry. According to TVGuide.com, Cherry made the announcement today at a cake-cutting ceremony celebrating 100 episodes of the ABC suds-fest.

Unless they can ramp up the storylines, I'm not sure this is such a good thing. Sure, the series has picked up steam this season, but it's still slow-going. While I'm on-board and watching it every week, nothing about the storylines has really wowed me. An extra two seasons? Not feeling it at the moment.

Let's see here ... If the original pact between Cherry and ABC stands, the series would wrap in 2011. That seems like a good amount of time to throw a few more juicy stories into the mix and give the housewives of Wisteria Lane a good send-off.

But extending it to 2013 seems like a lot of time to fill, especially when the powers-that-be really haven't given us much to be delighted about during the past year (or two).

And I would think the housewives know each other pretty well by now, so what could they possibly do that would be surprising? What heinous acts could their spouses confess to that they haven't already? The "quiet" neighborhood has seen murders, affairs, arson, and tornadoes, just to name a few crises.

Unless they're all sucked into an alien spaceship or put into a government protection program, I'm not sure anything that happens there will shock us to the point of wanting another two seasons. Maybe they'll do a 50-year time jump a la Six Feet Under and let us see what happens at the end of their lives. Now there's a concept!

What do you think? Should the Housewives get another two seasons?

Housewives' Show & Cast Pics

Marcia Cross sighting on September 28, 2008 in Los Angeles, California.

Jean Baptiste Lacroix/WireImage.com

Marcia Cross sighting on September 28, 2008 in Los Angeles, California.

Jean Baptiste Lacroix/WireImage.com

Marcia Cross sighting on September 28, 2008 in Los Angeles, California.

Jean Baptiste Lacroix/WireImage.com

Marcia Cross sighting on September 28, 2008 in Los Angeles, California.

Jean Baptiste Lacroix/WireImage.com

Marcia Cross sighting on September 28, 2008 in Los Angeles, California.

Jean Baptiste Lacroix/WireImage.com

Marcia Cross sighting on September 28, 2008 in Los Angeles, California.

Jean Baptiste Lacroix/WireImage.com

Marcia Cross sighting on September 28, 2008 in Los Angeles, California.

Jean Baptiste Lacroix/WireImage.com

Tony Parker and Eva Longoria Parker arrive at the EA Sports Presents NBA Live 09 VIP Launch Party at Beso on September 26, 2008 in Hollywood, California.

Jesse Grant/WireImage.com

Jesse Grant/WireImage.com

Actress Eva Longoria arrives at the EA Sports Presents NBA Live 09 VIP Launch Party at Beso on September 26, 2008 in Hollywood, California.

Jesse Grant/WireImage.com

cheryl

I love to watch DH. Me and my husband use to watch it faithfully. My husband passed away two years ago. My sister also lost her husband five years ago. We have a friend that lost her husband last year and we have a friend that lost his wife about three years ago. I have been thinking we should do a desparate widows show! Ha. Let me know if you are interested. I love the show and I plan on getting back to the weekly routine of watching. Keep it up!

January 02 2009 at 7:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
seth

I don't understand you -- here is a hit show -- the number one show for ABC and you want it to end? So they can put a reality show or another show you want watch. We need more water cooler shows like DH. All of you who wanted Friends to end -- NBC has never fully recovered up to now, so what is the rush to see DH end. Don't feel it, then don't watch, don't ruin it for the rest of us who do watch it.

December 11 2008 at 7:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kim

As long as they can keep it fresh and interesting, why not? In times past, it was not unusual for shows to be on for a decade or more. Ultimately, the ratings will determine how long DH survives.

December 11 2008 at 10:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cdawg

who the heck is virginia?

i'm down with two more seasons. This season so far and the one last year were totally top notch and if they keep up the melodrama, I'm happy.

HOWEVER, if the mystery this season is as simple as that Dave is the husband/ father of the woman and baby who were killed by Mike and Susan in the car accident, I might have to call BS on the show.

First of all - you would think they might have seen each other before - maybe at the hospital, the police station etc. Moreover, its TOO obvious!

All I know is that we need more Edie! She's 100% the best character on the show. So why in the world is she no longer a regular?

December 11 2008 at 10:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Patricia Field

Someone please tell me what was revealed about
Virginia's past!!!

December 11 2008 at 4:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
shamon

if they go with the story on how they all moved there in the past and have Mary Alice's as a cast member then there is more room for another season.

December 11 2008 at 1:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeff N.

I've yet to understand why Boston Legal was cancelled, It was still great. The ratings weren't bad. Must of cost too much to produce or something like that.

December 11 2008 at 12:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jake

I hope ABC makes a series of bad decisions and ends up wishing they hadn't canceled Boston Legal. Lost will be gone in 2 years. Ugly Betty is okay, but not appointment TV, and I don't even know what other shows are on the network. In 3 or so years they are going to be right back to where they were when Alias(great show), was their highest rated show.

December 10 2008 at 11:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jake's comment
Joey Geraci

pushing daisies, life on mars

Plus the couple of quality shows on ABC more than make up for the shitload of shit on CBS.

NBC is mostly filled with quality too, but unfortunately, nobody seems to want to watch quality.

December 10 2008 at 11:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shreela

I vote yes. I'm not nearly as addicted to DH as I was the first two years, but with ABC having so few shows that interest me -- now that they canceled Boston Legal, I'd probably continue watching DH that long.

I was wild about Lost during the first season. Now every other show ticks me off because it's so confusing. At least DH doesn't flip back and forth between past, present, and future multiple times in the same show.

But, if for some reason they decide to shut it down earlier than planned, GIVE US CLOSURE!

That's one of the main reasons I refuse to get involved in new shows, not trusting the network to close out shows properly, just leaving us hanging, grrrr.

December 10 2008 at 10:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

That show is still going? It already feels like it's worn out its welcome as much as the 15-year-old "E.R."

December 10 2008 at 10:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply