April 23, 2014

Reflecting on the Golden Globe TV noms

by Allison Waldman, posted Dec 11th 2008 10:33AM
GlobeOne of the biggest victims in last year's Writers Guild strike was the Golden Globe awards. Fortunately, the SAG threats of a strike remain just that -- threats -- so the Globes are on and the nominations were announced this morning.

Unfortunately, there were few surprises among the TV noms. In fact, it's kind of worrisome that these nominations are way too similar to the Emmy nominations. Among the new network shows from this season, and last, very little.

NBC will broadcast the Golden Globes on January 11. For the complete list of the Globe noms, click here, and for some instant impressions on said noms, read on after the jump:

Best Television Drama
Dexter
House
In Treatment
Mad Men
True Blood

Okay, here was the one big surprise of the morning -- HBO's True Blood, which could be a preview of next year's Emmys. I'm wondering how Pushing Daisies was left off this list and Best Musical/Comedy, but perhaps the very dramedy quality of the show keeps it from being recognized. However, how can the quality of the show be ignored. Mad Men won the Emmy; had a great second season and I predict will win here.

Best Actor - Television Drama
Gabriel Byrne, In Treatment
Michael C. Hall, Dexter
Jon Hamm, Mad Men
Hugh Laurie, House
Jonathan Rhys Meyers, The Tudors

How can Hugh Laurie not be the favorite here? He is the show. But, then again, so is Michael C. Hall on Dexter. And has anybody given a better performance than Jon Hamm? Okay, okay, they're all worthy, including Byrne and Rhys Meyers. I'm sticking with Hamm for the victory.

Best Actress - Television Drama
Sally Field, Brothers and Sisters
Mariska Hargitay, Law and Order: Special Victims Unit
January Jones, Mad Men
Anna Paquin, True Blood
Kyra Sedgwick, The Closer

Hooray, January Jones gets some love for Mad Men, and what a performance she gave! Kyra and Mariska are former winners. Still, I'm thinking the Globes like -- really like -- Sally Field.

Best Television Musical/Comedy
30 Rock
Californication
Entourage
The Office
Weeds

Could Californication sneak in and steal this Globe? It would be just like the GGs to throw a curve like that. Entourage had a bounce back season, but not enough to win. I thought The Office -- especially 'The Dinner Party' episode -- was amazing. However, I'm seeing the 30 Rock cast on stage holding the awards and Tina Fey saying something wry and tart.

Best Actor - Television Musical/Comedy
Alec Baldwin, 30 Rock
Steve Carell, The Office
Kevin Connolly, Entourage
David Duchovny, Californication
Tony Shalhoub, Monk

Is it possible to recognize just Kevin Connolly out of Entourage when it's truly an ensemble among the four guys? I guess the Golden Globes think so. This prize comes down to Steve Carell and Alec Baldwin to me, and Alec will win.

Best Actress - Television Musical/Comedy
Christina Applegate, Samantha Who?
America Ferrera, Ugly Betty
Tina Fey, 30 Rock
Debra Messing, The Starter Wife
Mary-Louise Parker, Weeds

Conventional wisdom says that Tina Fey is on a roll and keep it going with the Globes. However, with all that's happened to Christina Applegate this past year -- breast cancer and a double mastectomy -- she is likely to get the award. Not that she doesn't deserve it, because she's great on Samantha Who? If there's a wild card in this deck, it's Debra Messing, who is as wonderful on The Starter Wife as she was on Will & Grace, only with less funny material. No Pushing Daisies' ladies? Hello?

Best Mini-Series - Television

A Raisin in the Sun
Bernard and Doris
Cranford
John Adams
Recount

Recount was not a mini-series, so it shouldn't be here. It won the Emmy, as did HBO's other biggie, John Adams, which was a mini-series. Adams will win this handily.

Best Actor in a Mini-Series or Motion Picture - Television
Ralph Fiennes, Bernard and Doris
Paul Giamatti, John Adams
Kevin Spacey, Recount
Kiefer Sutherland, 24: Redemption
Tom Wilkinson, Recount

Paul Giamatti over Kevin Spacey. He wore more costumes and wigs. Shocker nom was Kiefer; he must of gotten in just under the wire.

Best Actress in a Mini-Series or Motion Picture - Television
Judi Dench, Cranford
Catherine Keener, An American Crime
Laura Linney, John Adams
Shirley MacLaine, Coco Chanel
Susan Sarandon, Bernard and Doris

What a batch of great actresses! Talk about big-time award winners. Laura Linney won the Emmy; she'll get the Globe.

Best Supporting Actor - Television
Neil Patrick Harris, How I Met Your Mother
Denis Leary, Recount
Jeremy Piven, Entourage
Blair Underwood, In Treatment
Tom Wilkinson, John Adams

How can Tom Wilkinson be in this group? It makes no sense. Same with Denis Leary for Recount. With all the mismatching, I still see Jeremy Piven as the victor, although for me it's Neil Patrick Harris who should be honored.

Best Supporting Actress - Television
Eileen Atkins, Cranford
Laura Dern, Recount
Melissa George, In Treatment
Rachel Griffiths, Brothers and Sisters
Dianne Wiest, In Treatment

See above for the complaint about the mismatch nomination category. Laura Dern was great as Katherine Harris and she should win.

seth

Usually the globes honor the new series -- like Fringe or number one show -- the mentalist. I wish they would nominate Psych and actor James Roday. I hope that when Monk ends -- that deserving James roday takes his place.

Chandra wilson for Grey's should have been nominated.

December 11 2008 at 7:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

Bet your life on Mad Men, 30 Rock, Recount and John Adams in all respective categories. The only one Mad Men might not win is Best Actress, as much I loves me some January Jones.

December 11 2008 at 3:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan

No Pushing Daises or Lost? Blah.

December 11 2008 at 2:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

Although I don't hold the Golden Globes (or the Emmys, for that matter) as any great indicator of quality, I do think it's noteworthy that in all the series categories save one, there are at most 2 network shows and 3 cable shows (3 to 2 for actress/musical/comedy).

In a few years, will there be any decent scripted TV left on the 4 1/2 networks? (I refuse to count CW as a whole network) I'm betting there won't be on NBC, as they're clearly headed in the penny-pinching, all-reality-and-talk direction.

December 11 2008 at 2:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Fuzzyfreaker

Let me get this straight.

John Adams and Recount are made for TV movies, mini-series, AND Television series?

Somebody's found a loophole it seems...

December 11 2008 at 1:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Patti

Catherine Keener was EXCELLENT in An American Crime, I am only wondering why Ellen Page wasn't nominated as well. That was one damn good film, broke my heart to watch it.

December 11 2008 at 1:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
davpel

Ugghh. Could someone please explain to me how/why Friday Night Lights keeps getting ignored. Hellooo! Kyle Chandler and Connie Britton? If there are two better actors on television today, I'd certainly like to seem them. Especially Britton.

December 11 2008 at 1:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to davpel's comment
joanne

I was wondering about the FNL shut out, are they even eligible because it's just being shown on DirectTV? Will they be eligible for next year when they are shown on NBC even though it was already on DirectTV?

(I have no idea about the rules and regulations of the Golden Globes or Emmys)

December 11 2008 at 2:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Europa

Okay, is it just me or do you think the only reason Brad and Angie got nominated is because they're "Bradgelina" and the two of them showing up on the red carpet will draw ratings? I'm not saying that they didn't give really good performances in both of their respective films but it just seems a little "hinky" to me. They are the "it" couple of the moment and it seems the Globes have always been more about what's hot at the moment more than true substance. Just my opinion. I also think publicity was a big factor in the Tom Cruz nom. I mean come on. I'm surprised Nicole Kidman didn't get nominated for "Australia" just to cause a stir on the red carpet when she and Tom/Kate arrive.

December 11 2008 at 12:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tracey

How do they nominate Lost every year so far but not this year? Even better, how did it win the Golden Globe for Best Drama during it's 2nd season of all years? I've always wondered about that.

December 11 2008 at 12:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cdawg

Please please please let this be Michael C. Hall's year. He really is the only man on the planet who could make a viewer fall in love with a serial killer. PLEASE! (i don't know who I'm begging, but just go with it)

And my vote has been for Applegate since the first time I saw Samantha Who - while Tina is obviously amazing, Christina totally transforms. And where in the world is Jean Smart and Jennifer Esposito in the noms? I'd have also liked to see Colbie Smoulders this year finally - she's given stellar turns as Robin on HIMYM - too funny that girl is when she switches into her "Canadian" version.

December 11 2008 at 12:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply