November 26, 2014

Sylar's father is... The Devil? - VIDEO

by Brett Love, posted Dec 11th 2008 9:07AM

Zachary Quinto - HeroesTim Kring and his team over at Heroes HQ have had a tough go of it in 2008. There was the unfortunate bungling of a joke that garnered more ill will, another apology and promise that things will get better, some firings, and, of course, those ratings numbers that just seem to keep dropping. But you know what they say, "It's always darkest before the dawn."

So, rather than put the boots to the show one more time, how about some news that brings with it a sign of good things to come? When last we left our heroes, Sylar had used his newly acquired lie detecting powers to determine that Arthur isn't his father. I'm sure the wave of relief that came with knowing he wasn't related to Peter was glorious. Even better than that, now we know who will be taking on the role of Pa Sylar.

John GloverIt's none other than TV veteran John Glover. Most of the mentions of this that I have seen on my copy of the internet make the understandable comparison to Smallville. There is a nice bit of symmetry there I suppose - father of Lex, father of Sylar. For me though, and I hope at least some of you, John Glover is always thought of, first and foremost, as The Devil from Brimstone. The show didn't have much of a following, which led to it not having a whole lot of episodes, but he was fantastic in it.

Details are thin at the moment. Glover is set to join the show during the upcoming "Fugitives" chapter and it's said that Sylar "has a lot more in common with his father than he realized." Make of that what you will. I'm left wondering if there is any chance that Angela is still his mother. Perhaps there were some shenanigans while Arthur was off setting things in motion to save/destroy the world? Whatever the case, this is certainly something to look forward to in what has been a rough season so far.

Finally, just because the internet is awesome, here's a flashback to Glover in the pilot for Brimstone.

Patrick

Brimstone was on FOX, Midnight, though I can see how you'd make that mistake. Both networks have been known to kill great shows before their time.

December 11 2008 at 6:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
csttar63

if they stopped the time travelling that would be a big help. even though this fantasy, i just don't think you can go back and meet yourself. the same matter can't exist in the same space and time. use some science based in reality to make things interesting. limit sylar's power NOW!!!! where is the military in all this? you can only keep these secrets so long. UGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

fix it NOWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!

December 11 2008 at 1:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
divineparasite

Awesome mention for "Brimstone", I caught that series about three years ago airing on the Sci-fi network and thought it was really good. Which of course meant it was cancelled(by NBC if I'm not mistaken). Can John Glover save "Heroes"? The mess lies in the storylines, so it doesn't rest on one actor alone, but at least he plays sinster really well.

December 11 2008 at 12:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DavidMac

This isn't going to help the ratings. Either they need to kill Sylar are make the character more than a 1 dimensional psychopath. The character needs to be more fleshed out, being a emo punk isn't a trait I love to see in bad guys.

December 11 2008 at 10:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to DavidMac's comment
Dan

Sylar is the character that most people say is the only reason they watch the show. Personally I think they need to kill Peter, Claire, Mohinder (keep his narration, but kill him. They did it on Oz with Agustus Hill and that guy was a good character), and Daphne, and they need to stop trapping Hiro in the past. I still love Heroes, but know that these are the things it needs to do to stay alive.

December 11 2008 at 11:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Liz

I agree with Dan, Sylar is my favorite one on the show, especially now that he is evil again. I also love Hiro and Peter, but everyone else could be replaced. I wish they'd make the women on the show more compelling too- and less blonde- seriously there are other hair colors out there.

December 11 2008 at 1:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MWM

The referrence to Smallville is deserved. This show is heading down that path.

December 11 2008 at 10:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dave

I Loved Brimstone! I still check Netflix once a month to see if the DVDs exist yet.

December 11 2008 at 10:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ac

I may start watching again.

December 11 2008 at 10:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply