September 18, 2014

Brought To You By ... - VIDEOS

by Bob Sassone, posted Dec 12th 2008 10:10AM
FolgersBefore we get to this month's videos, two observations about Christmas commercials that are currently running.

The new Lexus ad where the guy remembers being a kid and getting a new Atari for Christmas and how that used to be his best gift ever until his wife said to hell with the economy I'm going to buy my husband a ridiculously audacious gift: is that Roger from Swingtown?

Second, the candle commercial where the woman buys a candle that smells like gingerbread men and then tries to trick her friends into thinking that it's not the candle but it's the gingerbread men that she just cooked even though she bought them at the store: why does she leave the candle approximately one inch from the gingerbread men? Does she think her friends wouldn't notice it?

Anyway, on to the classics...I've written about this ad before, but we have to start with the Christmas commercial that everyone remembers, "Peter!" OK, that's probably not the real name of the ad, but that's how I've always known it. It's the one where the college kid comes home from college early in the morning (and somehow gets into the house without a key - what, this family doesn't lock their front door overnight?), makes Folger's coffee, and wakes up everyone in the house. I wish they still ran this ad. Or maybe we could see an update of the ad with the original cast and see what they're up to now:

Here's another holiday classic. The kid is Corey Feldman, long before (1975) he was fighting with Corey Haim. I wonder what a 50 cent gift certificate would get you today?

There have been many Coca-Cola Christmas ads over the years. Here's one from the late 70s that uses the classic "Hilltop" song:

Here's an 80s classic from Toys 'R Us. Is it weird that I remembered the lyrics to this jingle? (Answer: yes)

The Flintstones have had some Christmas ads too. In this one, Barney dresses up like Santa to get some cereal from Fred. Too bad the real Santa is already there too:

Here's an ad from the 70s. It's for a new stereo from Sears. I actually owned this:

Ferrero Rocher ads have become a regular part of our Christmas TV viewing. Here's the latest. I like how the other two people don't even say anything or register any shock when the woman takes the candy from the on-screen lyrics. Maybe they live in a world where people take candy from on-screen lyrics all the time:

I'd love to post the video for one of my favorite Christmas commercials, the Staples spot where the dog is wrapped up in wrapping paper. Unfortunately I can't find it anywhere on the web. Any help?

EBETH

OMG....I have loved that staples commercial with the dog forever. I remember the first time I saw it and was laughing so hard I cried. To this day I remember that as one of the funniest commercials I have ever seen and I too cannot find it anywhere. I would love to show my husband so he doesn't think I am a looney everytime I talk about this commercial.

January 29 2009 at 5:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chuck Collins

I'm wondering if one of these days we'll be hearing about the debut of Folger's feature-length movie/commercial version of "Peter Comes Home" on The Hallmark Channel. Considering most of those movies have plots that are over in about 30 seconds, this one is sure to be a winner!

December 14 2008 at 1:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
labellelm

I hate the Glade commercial too. Have you ever noticed how the friends cackle at the lying lady? Its a vicious laughter when they are doing yoga...

December 13 2008 at 8:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
meb

I still tear up with the Folgers commercial. That's either good advertising or PMS. lol

December 12 2008 at 12:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
am_hollitz

What, no McDonald's comercial with Ronald and kids ice skating!?!

My partner and I just had this conversation. It just ain't Christmas 'til Peter comes home and makes coffee!

Coincidentally, I am now old enough to drink and enjoy Folgers myself, and often think of the Folgers commercial when I do. That's good advertising, folks!

December 12 2008 at 11:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Courtney

I have this strange aggression against the Glade Candle woman (gingerbread example above). She's such a...liar! In every commercial she's lying to people who are her friends and family so people think of her better or so she can run off and spend a day out having fun instead of cleaning (and in case you're wondering, that's the Glade spray commercial and yes, that little girl IS the little girl from Enchanted). But I don't think she should make me feel so much hatred. After all, she's just in commercials.

December 12 2008 at 11:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Courtney's comment
Brent McKee

I'm not sure if the bad part is that she's lying or just how inept she is at lying. Well of course she keeps the Glade candle close to the store bought gingerbread men. And of course the Glade plug-in is visible when her yoga group is exercising instead of hidden behind the sofa. There's some psychological explanation for this behaviour I'm sure.

December 13 2008 at 3:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply