December 18, 2014

Saturday Night Live: Hugh Laurie/Kanye West - VIDEOS

by Annie Wu, posted Dec 14th 2008 1:22PM
Hugh LaurieHugh Laurie
(S34E11)
Can you hear the ladies and British comedy fans screaming? It's Hugh Laurie! The writing this week was stronger than usual, but I could not help but feel like they didn't use Hugh Laurie enough. When you get someone like that on the show, you better make sure the audience is sick of seeing him by the end of the episode. That said, Mr. Laurie did beautifully with what he was given and he's well on his way to becoming a regular host. Check out these video highlights from the episode.

"Wedding Toast": Hey, I dig this format! It was a lot like Appalachian Emergency Room, except not annoying. They should use this more often, as it gives us a chance to see characters that probably wouldn't see the light of day in any other context. For example, Bobby Moynihan's super-brief appearance was hilarious.

"Weekend Update": As soon as Fred Armisen's Governor Paterson rolled on-screen, the two New Yorkers that were watching this episode with me immediately groaned with sympathy and started going on about how that was super-mean. Is this just a New York attachment? Because I've seen SNL do so much worse with other political figures, but does Governor Paterson get special treatment?

"Really!?!": This was really well-done. Perhaps it's just the mean streak in me, but I had no problem with them directing the majority of these jokes at Governor Blagojevich's hair. "It's like someone put the hair on backwards on one of those Fisher-Price people!"

Amy's final good-bye was incredibly touching, but I knew they wouldn't let her get away with something so precious! Using humor to cut the tension as soon as they get a little too real... Typical funny kid. Anyway, it's sad to see Amy go, but I suppose it's important for her to devote as much time as possible to working with Will Arnett to raise the funniest baby in world.

"Digital Short: Cookies": Man, what a weak Digital Short. I feel like the digital short format is wasted if the piece involves material that can very easily be done like a normal skit. This was just a bunch of people talking in an office. Also, they had Hugh Laurie, so why didn't they use him more? It's Hugh Laurie! Did I mention that it's Hugh freakin' Laurie?

"Lamps!": I swear to God, when this skit started, I mumbled to myself, "Someone is going to get shot." I then realized that I've been watching and analyzing too much SNL and proceeded to beat myself about the face.

Kanye West: I don't care for his new album (except for "Love Lockdown" and "Paranoid"), but I love how much attention Kanye puts into his visuals. Damn. I also had my fingers crossed for a Kanye West skit. He did one the last time he was on the show, and it was incredibly funny. In case you don't remember it, here it is...

Meenu Grover

You can also use vid23.com to download Megavideo videos. The latest tv shows and movies, updated daily in good quality. vid23.com have all the latest episodes as soon as they come out.

December 18 2008 at 1:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

I really like the kanye performances, yes his singing isnt up to par with some of the other performers they've had on the show but man can he perform. Those screens with the flashing colours and the silhouette were really cool. He's trying to be creative and not following what the other rappers are doing these days.. give him props for being innovative. Does the innovation always pay off... no not always but you got to learn from your mistakes. i found that it was one of the best performances they have had on the show this season.
All in all this was a really good show.

December 15 2008 at 8:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
KevinInChains

I dont even remember seeing the Kanye sketch...when was that?

December 15 2008 at 7:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to KevinInChains's comment
KevinInChains

nevermind...re-read and realized that it wasnt from this weeks

December 15 2008 at 7:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kat

Cringe! There were two bones to pick with SNL this weekend, the blindness and the Kanye. I only had a problem with the Kanye. WHOA!

I even blogged: http://squareeyes.blinkx.com/?p=177

Get it? Senses offended?

What think?

December 15 2008 at 6:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lee

You know....the audience seemed to think the Gov. Paterson bit was funny. Sorry. It gave me some belly laughs too.
If the PC police was offended....good. What are you watching Saturday Night Live for if you don't want to be offended? This is being blown out of proportion anyway. People need to lighten up!

December 15 2008 at 4:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
els

"...but does Governor Paterson get special treatment?"

No, Paterson deserves to be mocked for his personal characteristics just as every else does. Problem is, this skit just dealt with stereotypes. An Obama skit centered on his hypercool and big ears, OK. The same skit having him eat fried chicken and watermelon, obviously not OK and not funny. (Hell, he may be our first ANOREXIC president.)

Likewise, a Paterson skit mocking his penchant for bad jokes and occasional zipper issues may be funny, but one repeating tired stereotypes about blind folks- stereotypes which, like most sterotypes, have no basis in fact for Paterson- falls flat.

December 15 2008 at 2:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jason

Personally, I thought it was one of the worst all-around SNL's I'd ever seen. Waste of my time.

December 15 2008 at 11:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
const

Too strong mocking the accidental governor, david patterson?

were you in hibernation to the mocking of Governor Palin this fall?

December 15 2008 at 11:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lucas

Robot voice! Robot voice! All of the kids love the robot voice!

December 15 2008 at 10:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

Underwhelming.

What I will remember about this episode is the aforementioned characterization of the blind governor -- which was in terribly poor taste -- and Amy's uncalled-for joke about Fox News' reporting of the Blag-what's-his-name scandal. News flash, Amy: You can't get a laugh just by saying "Fox News"; the punchline has to be funny, not to mention accurate. One week ago, every news organization -- not just Fox -- was questioning Obama's involvement in the scandal.

Another week of kid gloves for the President-Elect. I can't wait until it's fashionable to make fun of him.

December 15 2008 at 7:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jim's comment
Jim

P.S. I will give Amy credit. At least she knows when to leave. If only Darrell Hammond would do the same.

December 15 2008 at 2:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply