September 30, 2014

Heroes: Dual

by Jason Hughes, posted Dec 16th 2008 9:54AM
Heroes: Duel
(S03E13)
Man, they did it again. Set up a potentially solid climactic final chapter to a "Volume" and then just kind of fizzled out. Sylar's antics bordered a bit on the ridiculous, and I don't at all buy Nathan's character path over the past three seasons as plausible. I was pleased with the continuation and ultimate resolution of Hiro's story as it involved also Ando, Matt and Daphne. As it turns out, while these are by no means the central figures in the plots for this Volume, their story was the best.

Maybe it's because there was a minimum of whining (Peter) or pouting (Claire), and quite frankly there's only so much of that crap you can take. With the end of "Volume Three" tonight, as we've done in the past, we got a sneak peek at "Volume Four: Fugitives." And as has been the case in the past, the few minutes we got on a preview of the next volume was much more compelling than the finale of this current volume. Just like real comic books, you usually get a great build up in these big stories, ultimately leading to disappointment.

I guess Nathan's back to being a dick, which I don't like. I thought his character progression made sense up to the point where he decided he agreed with his father about changing the world and was suddenly willing to let his brother die. Also, why the hell would Peter have to inject himself with the formula anyway so that he could fly and save Nathan. Flying is Nathan's thing. He could've saved himself. That one didn't make much sense.

Are we supposed to believe that Meredith died in that fire? If she's not capable of dying from her own combustion, then the only danger to her would be the collapsing building. So why was it such a bad idea to try and get her out of the building? She should have left when Claire first flew through the window. Speaking of which, one of the good moments of the episode was when Claire jammed that piece of glass into the back of Sylar's head to shut off his brain. Odds on whether or not it'll come out in the first or second episode of the new volume.

But the whole Sylar storyline iself was rather stupid. Why, out of nowhere, would he decide to play these weird psychological games? It really didn't seem his style and didn't fit well with the rest of the season so far. Actually, I'll say the whole episode didn't fit well. We never even got to see all the heroes come together. In fact, Peter destroyed the existing formula while Hiro destroyed the written formula but neither know the other did anything. There was a kind of a weird disconnect between the cast.

Other Musings
  • I like the power they've given Ando, even though I'm not sure I want him to have a power. But what it does now is make me wonder how his power would impact the other people with abilities. Would it make Meredith blow up and be trapped underneath a building?
  • So I'm still not clear what the Catalyst was. How did Hiro's mother get it, why is it able to be passed on like it is, what is it, what does it do, and is it destroyed now?
  • Loved seeing Usutu, the African painter in the loft, but what is up with that? Was he really there or was he Memorex?
  • It was cool seeing Chad Faust (The 4400) in another role, even if his flaring nostrils still distract me. Too bad he didn't last that long; I thought the idea of this new character had potential.
Are you looking forward to "Fugitives"?
No, I'm done202 (18.0%)
It looks okay387 (34.4%)
It looks pretty good409 (36.4%)
It will be the greatest thing ever conceived and put on television126 (11.2%)

Klo

Nathan's chosen profession explains his character arc perfectly. As a politician, he flip-flops almost as frequently as those in real-life do.

December 19 2008 at 12:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John

If running faster than the speed of light allows you to travel back in time, then how the heck did they come back to the future??
I wondered that too.

So is Hiro's power gone for good now?

December 18 2008 at 4:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
larry

did you forget that after peter saved him nathan asked him why he did it nathan wanted to die he could have saved himself but he didnt want to so peter did like the good brother he is

yes the catalyst was destroyed along with all of the serum the writers answered this on behind the eclipse from comicbookresource.com so im not being a dick about it just answering a question

December 17 2008 at 12:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kira Richardson

*sigh* it would be nice to have bloggers who actually LIKE the shows they are blogging about on TV Squad. I love Hereos and I love Lost, but I can barely stand to read the blogs here about them anymore. Between the bloggers need to criticize every episode and the gang of predictable posts by those who threaten to stop watching the show every single week, I can barely stand it. Thank goodnees for the few people here who genuinely enjoy the show and are not looking for every plot hole and inconsistency to point out. Its because of them that I keep coming back here.

BTW, as for the show... thought the DUAL theme was great. I was watching with a newbie last night, and of course there is no way to explain everything to someone who has never seen it, but before the episode I did find myself telling him that the overriding element in the show is the fact that there is no definitive Good and Bad on the show, and that the lines are blurred all the time. Motives are defined but the actions to acheive the goals are not, and we as a watcher are always engaged in the discovery of who is right and who is wrong. Ironically then, this episode completely explored this theme, and Sylar, in his sick and deliciosuly twisted way was trying to send this same message.

Sometimes you have to let go of the supernatural elements, the plot holes and the confusing road we've traveled to get here, and remember that Heroes (and Lost) are really about what it is to be human amongst inhuman circumstances. Simple as that.

December 17 2008 at 9:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Kira Richardson's comment
zingy7

ITA with everything you just said. Maybe you should take over and write this blog. :)

December 17 2008 at 12:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
fowak

I seriously think the blogger for this show needs to be replaced. You've had very minimal positive things to say this season. While I agree that as a fan of the show, who watches faithfully, you have a right to be disappointed and share your opinion, a lot of fans of the show read this blog - try to find a little more of the positive to point out..

Thanks.

December 17 2008 at 8:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gordy

I'm glad I watched Prison Break on Monday instead of this mess. Heroes has become a mishmash of good ideas and poor execution.

Bored now.

December 17 2008 at 8:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MCW

How did Usutu come back. I genuinely need to know so that I can rest.

December 16 2008 at 10:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pasha

Was that supposed to be a mean President Obama at the end?

December 16 2008 at 3:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sac

If traveling faster than light can make u travel back in time.. kind of a surprise how they got back to the present from 16 years ago ..

December 16 2008 at 3:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mj

You have to feel sorry for Sylar. He really wants to be normal, and have people to love him. But they always turn out to be lying to him. Poor guy. Nathan, on the other hand, should be shot, for good. He is so jealous of Peter that it clouds his brain. So, even though he is a mutant, er, powered person, he's turning in all the other mutants, er, powered people? And he won't get caught, even though how many mutants know about his power? Yawn. We know Sylar will be back, since his daddy is coming. I don't know. I really miss the excitement that this show used to have.

December 16 2008 at 2:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply