April 17, 2014

The Sarah Connor Chronicles: Earthlings Welcome Here

by Brad Trechak, posted Dec 16th 2008 9:02AM
The Sarah Connor Chronicles(S01E13) "We all know how reliable bloggers are." Words spoken by John Connor, the future savior of humanity. Therefore it must be true.

It's hard to believe the season is so far along. If this season is the traditional 22 episodes, then there is only nine to go when the series returns in February. On Friday nights. On Fox. I hope it makes the full nine.

This episode didn't thrill me and was disappointing for something hyped as the "Fall finale". I was hoping for more of an action-oriented episode rather than a Riley backstory. Even the Riley flashbacks and flash-forwards weren't as interesting as previous episodes.

The ending was convoluted and f-ed up. Sarah has killed again and is possibly dying. Again. Not likely, though, given her name is on the marquee. Did they waste half of an entire episode by having Sarah chase down a false lead? The image of the H-K at the end was kind of cool. What do her visions mean, if anything?

This episode did somewhat return to traditional storytelling rather than the more interesting methods of weeks past. I liked the inclusion of the UFO convention. They've included most other sci-fi clichés. Why not aliens? I half-expected to learn as an explanation for their metal is that an extra-terrestrial race built the machines.

Who saw the twist regarding the androgynous woman coming? More importantly, who didn't? My gay-dar doesn't work so well, but I'm pretty good at spotting a guy in drag.

When John called his mother, I noticed that he didn't use that date code-phrase from a previous episode. I believe it was cracked, but why not use some sort of replacement? Given that they're being pursued by killer robots that can look human, you'd think they'd be a little more paranoid.

Cameron is also developing a bit of an attitude with John and Riley. Is she jealous? I think she knows Riley's mission, particularly when she wanted to see her star. Of course, Riley must know what Cameron is.

If all Terminators had an off switch like John Henry, the series would be over already. All of Ellison's God talk with the former Cromartie had me thinking: is that why Skynet goes rogue? Does it start to think of itself as an agent of God? I'm sure machine religion will come into play down the road. The theme worked well with Battlestar Galactica, and I don't think Fox is above stealing...err...paying homage to the concept.

Did Ellison ever watch Star Trek? If he did, he'd know a human can't beat a computer at chess. I think the lessons would work better if they were playing poker.

Didn't anybody else hear the shots when the Mystery Motorcycle Man killed Alan Park and Doctor Ross? Perhaps it was just that Sarah was closer to the action than anybody. She's also one good tracker. Alan Park's descriptions were pretty vague, yet she found the warehouse.

Given the coming attractions at the end for the second half of the season (that and all the talk from previous episodes about alternate futures), it wouldn't surprise me if the shooter was Kyle Reese. If that is true, then John's Daddy-issues are just starting. See you in February.

Gossip Girl' Show & Cast Photos

Actress Leighton Meester attends the Gotham Magazine Leighton Meester cover party at Marquee on September 27, 2008 in New York City.

Duffy-Marie Arnoult/WireImage.com

Duffy-Marie Arnoult/WireImage.com

Leighton Meester attends the Gotham Magazine/Leighton Meester Event sponsored by Jose Cuervo Platino at Marquee Nightclub on September 27, 2008 in New York City.

Brian Ach/WireImage.com

Brian Ach/WireImage.com

Brian Ach/WireImage.com

Leighton Meester attends a Gotham Magazine celebration at Marquee on September 27, 2008 in New York City.

Michael N. Todaro/FilmMagic.com

Michael N. Todaro/FilmMagic.com

Blake Lively on location for "Gossip Girl" on September 22, 2008 in New York City.

Bobby Bank/WireImage.com

Cynthia Sparer, Dr. Herbert Pardes, Leighton Meester, Alex Cohen and Pamela W. Barnes attend the Kids for Kids celebrity carnival benefiting the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation at the Park Avenue Armory on September 20, 2008 in New York City.

Jason Kempin/WireImage.com

Actress Leighton Meester attends the Kids for Kids celebrity carnival benefiting the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation at the Park Avenue Armory on September 20, 2008 in New York City.

Jason Kempin/WireImage.com

Greg

I don't know if anyone else saw this or not, but about a year ago there was a slideshow on YouTube that had the photos of the UFOs that were the stars of this episode of T:SCC . They were in a generic search for "UFO Southern California". I looked again for them and they are gone. I am now wondering if someone from the show put that up on YouTube as a viral marketing campaign for T:SCC last year.

December 19 2008 at 12:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Greg's comment
010111

they are still up in various places.

and the documents/schematics in this episode are the same "CARET" documents released about the same time the "drone" UFOs were seen.

the backstory was the same back then too... a random guy named 'isaac' worked for some secret place and was releasing documents and photos online.

etc etc.

i highly doubt it has anything to do with a viral campaign by T:TSCC as generally you start a viral campaign and realize/capitalize it immediately... not... make it... ignore it for years... then sorta kinda show it in a TV show.

this is more... writers remembered reading about it and incorporated it into the show. just like Law & Order does on a weekly basis. and the X-Files did too.

December 22 2008 at 6:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
010111

that one there is pretty much the same deal as used in the closing of the episode. imagine looking *up* at it from below it.

certainly not : "The image of the H-K at the end was kind of cool."

as it didn't look anything like an HK. and did look like the various "drone UFO" pictures used in the episode... that came from real life.

December 22 2008 at 6:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chrissthomas

I did not see the whole Kyle Reese alive thing what was that about. I thought this was a great episode that sets up great story arcs for the future. I do hope they go somewhere tangible with the series and soon so that we get some sort of feeling of completeness before FOX does the inevitably stupid thing of canceling another great show in favor of its mind numbing show AI. Oh maybe that is secret code look American Idol has taken over FOX and its initials are AI just like AI taking over the world in the Terminator series. Maybe the writers are deeper than we thought and planned this all along.

December 17 2008 at 3:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
larry

i honestly thing its jesse who killed the doc and the ufo guy/girl dont know why just a feeling i have

December 17 2008 at 12:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
James

I was confused about a lot of this episode as well. Now that Sarah has gone more than a little crazy, are we sure the transgendered character even existed? Especially when she kept saying on the tape that the employers have no idea who she really is, that she's a waitress (which doesn't really make sense otherwise because wasn't the transgendered character a man when she worked there?). Wasn't that was Sarah was? Could Sarah have had an alter ego ala Fight Club that worked at this warehouse? Maybe that's how she found it so easily based on the vague descriptions on the tape. Maybe the motorcycle gunmen never existed either and Sarah killed the therapist. What do you guys think?

December 17 2008 at 10:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe

Dinah Lenney is a woman. Her character was originally a man (Abraham), but when his life was under threat, he was motivated to finally operate to change his gender to align with his feelings. He was always a transexual, but only when his life was in threat did he have the operation. I hope I've got that all correct.

This TV iteration of Terminator is really irritating me lately. There's alot of rich story to be written, but as it is, the writers are shooting for the moon. The whole thing is just ridiculously snooty, using dreams and all of these stupid references in the narration. It's been happening since the show started and it's easy to look at the show and think it's really cerebral, but it's just evidence of intellectual scattershot dialog from the writers in a thinly-veiled attempt to prove that they're more than just science fiction writers. I'd settle for a storyline that's well-defined, goes places and eventually wraps up!

December 17 2008 at 2:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mills

"My gay-dar doesn't work so well, but I'm pretty good at spotting a guy in drag."

Apparently not, since that was the chick that was on ER for years as Shirley, one of the ER nurses, that was in nearly every OR scene. On Terminator, it was woman actress playing the part of a guy dressed as a woman.

December 17 2008 at 12:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John Stewart

I thought it was refreshing to have a fall finale that wasn't all runnin' and gunnin'.

December 16 2008 at 7:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
neozyem

Is Riley dead? The ending of this episode was lame.

December 16 2008 at 4:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

Sometimes I want to just take these writers and shake them until they wake up - I'm with you Chadwick: with all that to work with, how do they keep finding the cheap tin in a gold mine?
I'm stoked that they got Jonathan Jackson to play Kyle though - that kid could already act his socks off when he played Lucky on General Hospital, and he was only a young teen then: can't wait to see if they give him good story to run with.
You know what's bummed me about about this show since day one? One of the coolest parts of the movies was the brief glimpses into that grim, living-underground-eating-rats future; and imagining how meek waitress Sara learned her later badass ways, and how they survived the blast and the rise of the machines on the fly.
But you STILL only get brief glimpses of all that meaty story: Sara's already a badass when we meet her, John's early training already happened, and most of the storylines involve everybody moping and whining about their broody little feelings in the pretty California sunshine.
Kinda wasn't what I hoped the series would be, but I'm sticking with it anyway. I do have to admit, its more good than bad most of the time; I just wish they would move forward more.

December 16 2008 at 1:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ghottistyx

Reading the recap on the Fox website, it pointed out that Ed Winston was wearing motorcycle boots, the same kind that the mystery shooter was wearing. Could be a red herring (like in "Scream", when Principal Fonz was wearing the same boots as the killer). Either way, there is a motive, as he's pretty clearly covering up what's really going on in that warehouse, and Abraham was getting pretty close to disclosing it.

Oh yeah, Captain Kirk was the man when it came to that. Let's not forget how he beat the Kobayashi Maru simulation. The Kobayashi Maru is an impossible, no-win situation that merely tests how one deals with an impossible situation; Kirk was the first to ever "beat" the situation--by reprogramming it. "I don't believe in the no-win scenario," he contended. So yeah, despite his reputation for being more the action hero/ladies man than Piccard, Kirk was still quite the strategian par excellance. I wonder how he'd deal with CroHenry! This would definitely be up his alley.

It is being suggested that Sarah is becoming unhinged; perhaps the UFOs are a dead-end and she's simply lost it. The FOX site mentioned that the writers were attempting this episode to be a homage to their favorite series, The X Files. Now you'll all have to pardon me as my knowledge on The X Files is lacking, but I think Sarah had a bit of a Mulder thing going, especially the drive out to the warehouse. And John is her Scully (reminding her about the reliability of bloggers; if they were together on this mission, he'd totally be getting Scully on her). I am willing to bet that these sightings of hers are proto-HKs.

Oh, and did anyone else notice that Lila Ellison's child's name is Riley? Another red herring? Or could this be young Riley?

December 16 2008 at 11:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to ghottistyx's comment
amadis

Where did you hear Lila's child was named Riley? The woman had an abortion. I hardly think she would have named it.

December 16 2008 at 5:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ghottistyx

whoopsie, my mistake. Saw the episode again. The reverend said "is this about the child? Is this about Lila?" I thought he said "Riley," thus indicating that there was a child named Riley involved. My bad.

December 17 2008 at 10:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply