November 27, 2014

All Mike wants for Festivus

by Mike Moody, posted Dec 18th 2008 1:11PM
terminator sarah connor chroniclesI still haven't figured out how to display my "feats of physical strength" in this post, so let's just get to the annual Festivus airing of grievances.

First off, like everyone else around here, I'm disappointed by NBC's decision to give fans of hour-long dramas the finger. You want me to watch Leno on primetime five nights a week, NBC? Do you really hate me that much? Second, I'm saddened by Sci Fi Channel's decision to cancel Stargate Atlantis, my favorite guilty pleasure. Third, I got it in for you, America! Thanks a lot for not making Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles the hit it deserves to be.

There's more -- trust me there's more -- but here at TV Squad we also celebrate Festivus by sharing our TV wish list. This year, I'm wishing for:

• A third season of Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, of course. I've become obsessed with the three dots and Garret Dillahunt's creepy Cromartie/John Henry. Give me more!
  • The return of The Middleman. My TV needs more talking Scorsese-obsessed apes.
  • A few amazing episodes of Dollhouse. I want the writing and the acting to really out-awesome the concept, which I don't really think is all that awesome.
  • David Hewlett's Star Crossed to actually happen, be a hit, and for Hewlett to become a household name.
  • Lauren Graham's new ABC sitcom to be good. And not so sitcomy.
  • Faithless Fox execs to keep their fingers out of Ron Moore's Virtuality.
  • Some more cool casting choices for Stargate Universe. Robert Carlyle's a good start. Now gimme Jason Dohring or Felicia Day.
  • Kings to be as good as it looks.
  • A great last season of Scrubs on ABC.

Kompukraft

It really sucks - a great program that follows another great program (SG-1) and of course it has to go. Idiotic potty humor and 'gay' propaganda shows are more important than good drama. It surprises me that television network executivess allowed Battlestar Galactica to go as far as it has. It took intelligence to watch, understand and enjoy the show.

It took the same for Atlantis. Though the show could be fun, it could also be great drama as in "Vegas". Too bad it is one of the last.

Hollywood made thousands of great movies, maybe it's time for us to stop watching the drivel TV too often offers viewers and wath some quality programming like "When Worlds Collide" or "When the Earth Stood Still". Even John Wayne movies are better than Leno, Springer and inane comedies.

January 02 2009 at 10:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MrRoarke

I loved first season Atlantis and would put it up against any other SF show as an example of the best in the genre. The following four seasons, however, took a creative nosedive and were mostly mediocre with a few standouts. After five years it was definitely time for Atlantis to go.

It wasn't a suprise to me that after Universe was greenlt Atlantis would be taken off the air. Why split your resources over two shows when you can fully concentrate on just one? That doesn't make financial sense. Besides which, any impartial observer coud see that trying to produce 40 episodes a year was simply to much work for TPTB. It was a creative and logistical nightmare.

I'm not saying you should be happy over the departure of Atlantis. You can even be angry but don't let that rage blind you to the core ideas of SF: open-mindedness, forward thinking and a willingness to embrace new ideas.

December 26 2008 at 11:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Timespirt

I was very disappointed with the cancellation of Stargate Atlantis. Why you would cancel a show that is doing well in the ratings to replace it with a space soap opera is beyond me and very selfish of the shows writers, producers, Sci-Fi channel and the studio that sponsors it to indulge in their own self satisfying ego's instead of giving the audience that has been loyal to them for over 13 years what they have been supporting with their money and time/life. I will be watching something else when their new show starts and I will be avoiding Sci-Fi all together as a whole! Good Luck to the cast of Stargate Atlantis, maybe they will wind up with a show and studio that appreciates them for what their talents can bring them; namely their loyal audience who will be following them to their new projects!

December 21 2008 at 6:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pooka

I am extremely upset over the cancellation of Stargate: Atlantis, especially because it seems like it was put on the back burner for the sole purpose of finding a time slot for Stargate: Universe. The decision is, I believe (and I'm not the only one--I've had an MBA give her opinion on this on my website), a major financial mistake for MGM/SciFi seeing as SGA is SciFi network's 2nd highest-rated show (next to Battlestar Galactica, which, by the way, they are cancelling too! go figure). Plus, the majority of the SGA fanbase is furious about it, and there's been a widespread commitment from fans to refuse to watch SGU. Honestly, I don't see why they had to cancel SGA...what they could've done was run SGU, SGA, and Sanctuary back-to-back on Friday nights, thus roping in Stargate fans to watch the SciFi channel for 3 straight hours, thus boosting ratings and revenue considerably. If they're really concerned about money, then I think that would've been a very good option. But...they chose to cancel SGA. It's not like they don't have room for it; the SciFi channel shows hours upon hours of reruns every day, with plenty of room in the primetime hours for several shows. Instead of showing countless reruns, why don't they just eliminate an extra hour of reruns to throw the new show in there while leaving the old one in place? That makes more sense than canceling the old one. I seriously don't understand what was going on in their heads when they decided this...SGU might have some loyal fans, but I'm pretty sure it's not going to survive due to the rage of the SGA fans. I mean, who cancels their 2 highest-rated shows??? O_o

December 21 2008 at 2:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ed263

All I want is Stargate Atlantis to come back for more episodes!! I am still so upset with it's cancellation.

December 19 2008 at 6:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sepha

The cancellation of Stargate Atlantis is still depressing to me. There didn't seem to be any reason for it other than to replace it with something else just like it which I have no intention of watching.

December 19 2008 at 6:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
greatone

I think the reason why TSCC doesn't do well because alot of people TIVO it. Alot of good shows come on doing that time slot and I TIVO my favorite show and watch the show they I like 2nd best live. TSCC was going against Chuck on NBC, How I met your Mother and The Big Bang Theory on CBS, and DWTS on ABC. I usually watch HIMYM and TBBT live and TIVO my favorite show Chuck. I love TSCC also but I don't TIVO or watch the show live. I am going to catch the 2nd season on Hulu or DVD and watch it all at once. Nelisen ratings should start taking into account people who TIVO shows and include this into the ratings. This would improve alot of people ratings. In my opinion Monday is the best night of TV with the stiffest competition.

December 19 2008 at 1:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Morjana Coffman

I am SOOOOOOO going to miss new WEEKLY episodes of Stargate Atlantis after January 9 '09.

Best wishes to David Hewlett's Star Crossed, and the new Stargate: Universe.

And best wishes to Joe Flanigan, new daddy Jason Momoa (again), Rachel Luttrell, David Hewlett, Jewel Staite, Robert Picardo, David Nykl, Kavan Smith, Sharon Taylor ... all the recurring cast, crew, and staff of Stargate Atlantis on their future endeavors!

December 19 2008 at 1:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
vidvid

Knowing my luck, Lauren Graham's show will be great AND air on Mondays at 8:00.

December 18 2008 at 8:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to vidvid's comment
TeenWolfie

Or Fridays at at 8:30!

December 18 2008 at 8:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chuck Lawson

I'm starting to have the opinion that T:SCC and Life are the two most under-talked about shows this season; both of them have gone to a lot of places that I never would have guessed, given the original premise.

December 18 2008 at 7:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Chuck Lawson's comment
John Stewart

I love Life, and I don't even watch cop shows typically, but Life is just so good. T:SCC surprised me a lot this season and it's story telling is very detailed and entertaining at the same time.

December 19 2008 at 12:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John Stewart

Also seeing Garret on Life as Roman just makes me think of his role as Cromartie/John Henry on T:SCC

December 19 2008 at 12:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply