September 17, 2014

Bitches are coming to Fox

by Brad Trechak, posted Dec 22nd 2008 1:29PM
FoxI don't know whether to laugh or cry. Maybe both.

In a sure sign of the apocalypse, Fox has signed a new dramedy by X2/Superman Returns scribe Michael Dougherty. It's about four women who live in New York City and turn into werewolves at a certain time of the month. Yes, it's really called Bitches. Can Fox get that one past the censors?

Okay, I get the analogy. The main characters will probably be successful businesswomen and therefore "bitches". The transformation into werewolves with every full moon could be a take on menstruation (an analogy that's been used before in fantasy literature). Will a fantasy series on Fox do better in the ratings than the much-loved-but-quickly-canceled science-fiction series of years past (and present)?

More than anything, it's the name that really gets me. It's such a cheap ploy. If Bitches can get through as a title, why not other profanities? Perhaps Fox can broadcast that film briefly mentioned in the movie Idiocracy called Ass.

Michael

my friend, i would in fact watch that show not only watch, but I'd buy every DVD in triplicate, buy every episode on itunes, and unbox, while simultaneously clicking on the sponsor ads on the shows home page...

December 28 2008 at 12:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brent McKee

It is truly amazing that so many of us are able to predict that a show will be terrible - nearly unwatchable - based solely on the name and a one sentence description of the concept. Some of us actually wait to see a pilot - or at least clips - before making up out minds. Obviously we're backwards children.

December 24 2008 at 4:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carissa

Claire, I didn't say it was going to be marketed to men, I said it would be marketed to women but wondered why because most men aren't interested in the genre.

Actually, I read almost exclusively science fiction, the kind that is marketed to men vs romantic sc-fi of the werewolf/vampire versions, so I do have an inkling of what men like in the fantasy world.

My point was that a show that sounds like sex & the city with werewolves would most likely be marketed toward women, but that women like their men as werewolves, not to become one themselves.

And, yes, I still believe it will fail.

December 23 2008 at 10:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carissa

I was just thinking. Besides the fact that this show even made it to pilot, it will never work because men do not find werebitches sexy. If romance novels are any indication, women find vampires and werewolves sexy. I can't imagine to whom they will market this program. I have no interest in watching chicks become werewolves. Am I missing something about what might make this show appealing??

December 22 2008 at 5:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Carissa's comment
Claire

what makes you think it will be marketed to men?

and i'm figuring you don't know much about sci-fi/fantasy because i know plenty of guys who find vampires and werewolves sexy.

i'm just saying....the appeal is there despite that fact the show will fail.

December 23 2008 at 12:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
leah

I'd bet this'll never actually make it to air.

And Idiocracy is hilarious.

December 22 2008 at 4:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

I'm pretty good at predicting the life of a series, usually just from looking at the ads. I give this one three episodes, max.

December 22 2008 at 4:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ricky19

lol i recently seen Ass in theaters and i give it 4.5 starts out of five. the only reason i took off .5 was because of the ending. i dont want to spoil it butt........

/sarcasm

December 22 2008 at 3:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Butters

The funny thing is that the word 'bitch' or 'bitches' is not censored by the FCC. So there is no reason why the name of the series can't be Bitches. Apart from the fact that it just sounds stupid!

December 22 2008 at 3:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Butters's comment
Carissa

According to the FCC website, no one word is censored, and it's done on a case by case basis dependent upon profanity, indecency and obscenity. I'd venture to guess that the word Bitches, used in conjunction with a woman's time of the month, would be considered one of the three. If not, the people who think all television is for kids will certainly cause a ruckus.

Sounds like the dumbest program ever. Go Big Four network television! You RULE!

December 22 2008 at 4:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
r.r.r.

Fox has sunken to a new low. Which i really didn't think was possible because it's Fox. BOO! :(

December 22 2008 at 3:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Curt

DO Fox executives have a fetish for cancelling shows?

December 22 2008 at 2:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply