April 23, 2014

Prison Break: Mid-season analysis

by Isabelle Carreau, posted Dec 23rd 2008 3:21PM
Prison BreakFour years ago, many of us thought that Prison Break would last only one season because once the guys break out, it's not "Prison Break" anymore. However, due to the show's success, FOX renewed it over and over again. This lead to the gang being on the run during season two, stuck in Sona and trying to break out again during season three and, this year, working together to gather Scylla, bring The Company down and get their freedom.

Now that the OMG!WTF? mid-season finale aired, it's time to analyze the product we've been offered so far and make our predictions as to what will happen next.

If you haven't watched the mid-season finale, step away from this post right now as I'll dish the reveals after the jump... then again, if you've seen the way too spoilerish mid-season finale promos that aired on TV, you are pretty much in the know.

When I watch Prison Break, I have no expectations whatsoever. I've learned back in season one that the show is 90 % drama and 10 % sci-fi. Let's face it, PB is not the most realistic show around. Michael undergoes major brain surgery and yet, almost the next day -- if not THE next day -- he has no bandages, can hop around and even escape?!? Yeah, right! And that's just one of the oh so many WTF? unrealistic things that happen on the show. Once you accept that the show is not realistic and will sometimes stretch things a bit too much, you can appreciate it.

As spoilers started being leaked over the summer, I started to wonder if I would enjoy season four and if I should even give it a chance. The spoilers about The Company being central in the season's plot were really making me curious but the news that Michael Rapaport was joining as an agent and that Sarah Wayne Callies was returning did the exact opposite. Rapaport as an agent? Really? I didn't like him much in comedy roles, would he do better in a dramatic role? I had my doubts. As for SWC's return, I didn't miss her at all in the third season and was unsure about what she could bring to the table during season four.

Now that 16 episodes have aired, I must say that I was right about Rapaport and SWC. Agent Self has been instrumental in whatever happened this season. However, I found Rapaport's acting poor and almost annoying. I have yet to meet an FBI agent face to face but, if I just compare with the FBI agents on other TV series, Rapaport doesn't fit the role. I don't believe in him more now that he is a rogue agent. Self/Rapaport is annoying me so much that if it wasn't for me maybe missing an important detail, I would fast forward every scene he is in!

Before some of you throw bricks at me about Sarah Wayne Callies, I'll admit that I rooted for Sarah and Michael back in season one. However, the character served its purpose when the guys broke out. She was not that useful in season two and wasn't missed a bit in season three. Her presence on the show doesn't bother me this season but I think she should be added to the list of most useless characters on TV. Her role on the show can be summed up to: moping around, caring about Michael and, occasionally, going undercover to help out the guys -- and I'm sure they could have found ways to do without her. The network and show allowed Callies to come back mostly because the fans demanded it. Fans wanted Michael and Sarah together. Yes, the two of them are in the same vicinity but are they really "together"? They don't act like a real loving couple to me and I think that's what fans want and what will make Sarah a tad more relevant to the series.

As for the plot, I must say that I've been entertained a lot by everything Company related. I always like to uncover what the secret organizations in TV series are really up to (like Zzyzx on Kyle XY, Dharma on Lost and Massive Dynamic on Fringe). I also enjoyed the search for the Scylla cards as they gave the show a sort of Alias feel. Now that we know the brothers' mother is alive and has been working for The Company as well as the fact that somehow The Company may want to do some good, I'm even more intrigued. Is their ultimate goal really good? Even if it looks like their mother was somewhat brainwashed into working for The Company, was part of her willing to do so? As she been working against them while working for them? Will The Company recapture Michael and make him join their side? What will happen to Lincoln now that Michael has escaped? Will The Company try to recruit him too?

As for the boys' mother, is she really their mother or is it part of the brainwash? Okay, I'm stretching it a bit here but isn't it what Prison Break is all about? If she really is their mother, does she have their best interest at heart or not? Now that it's been revealed she was the buyer Self and Gretchen were trying to sell Scylla to, does The Company know she was trying to buy Scylla? Or maybe I'm right about her working against The Company while being in the inside and she wants Scylla for herself? Maybe start a Company 2.0? So many questions yet so many weeks to wait before getting any answers. Good thing spoilers exist!

What did you think of the first half of the season? Do you have answers to my many questions? What are your theories about The Company and the brothers' mother? Share your opinion, ideas and conspiracy theories below.

sarah

you guys got to be kidding me if your critizing the show why are you commenting on this blog especially on this show. we fans don't need ridiculous retarted opinions. everyone who is a fan can be entitled to their own opinion, on the other hand for the haters your not. also bringing back sarah is the best thing they ever did. i personally love the way their slowing down their relationship it makes us want more and more. i adore how their intensifying thier relationship. their going to bring it out more in the fianl 6 episodes because their both going to be on a long run together ALONE. theri car crashes and sarah is going to use her outstanding looks in a scheme. i seriously can't wait until april 17 it comes on a friday this time. Oh My God prison break is number on i highly recommend to either start watchin git or continue be a true fan. love ya. also i recommend you guys watch supernatural, even though it's in the 4th season you can still catch up watch it on sidereel.com. it comes on thursdays on CW. hope ya enjoy i know i will also this show also has two hot strong bodied brothers only thing different is their hunters. it's not one of those gay shows where they hunt fake zombies. no it has it's own definition of demons,vampires, and other urban legends.

January 31 2009 at 8:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jon thomas

Does anyone know if they have renewed it ? at the end of the promo they said " Only 4 Ep left" was that this year or for ever ?

December 31 2008 at 11:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Frank

I think season four is pushing the boundries a bit to much, I am determined to watch prison break to the end and I admit there are some entertaining parts to season four but its way to unrealstic what with spur of the moment rescues, and then Michael been rescued by the company for brain surgery then as stated above his quick recorvery to his brain surgery, it should have been left at 1 maybe 2 seasons but I guess these fucking rich hotshots just want to make more money. Anyway does anyone know when season four re-airs on Irish/Uk television cause Sky didn't bother saying it wasn't going to be on this week fucking cunts.

December 30 2008 at 8:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rebecca

What the heck happened to Michael's tattoos?

December 27 2008 at 2:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Rebecca's comment
Jon thomas

he had them laser removed .. sketchy yes , but it was in the show

December 31 2008 at 11:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MERVE-THE-PERVE

During Michaels surgery he was having those flashbacks. I think the bargain flashback was when they were stealing that scylla card from that safe from the office on the other side. Michael could hear the General and the other guy talking because they took part of the wall off to steal the card. But I don't think they showed the part of their conversation about bargain during that scene, only in the flashback.

December 24 2008 at 2:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

Isabelle, I am so glad you are still reviewing PB. This is escapist television in as fine a form as CSI: Miami and I think this season has been as good as its first was. Michael Rappaport has been great the past couple of weeks and I have always thought Gretchen ruled the scenes she was in. Something tells me we haven't seen the last of her even though they guys left her shot and bleeding at the scene. How classic was her come on to Linc this episode??? Break out that school girl uniform again baby!!!

Seriously, all that is needed to enjoy this show is a healthy suspension of disbelief. The dialogue has been witty and one can easily grow to care about what happens to the characters - both good and bad. PB has shown that they aren't afraid to dispose of anyone, even if it means they have to resurrect them later on. Heck, even T-Bag has grown to be somewhat respectable lately. I half expect him to show up at Massive Dynamic and get a bionic arm before the end of next season! Awesome!

December 24 2008 at 8:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Benjy

You all think way too hard about Prison Break. It's just a high-octane action show. It's one of the shows I actually look forward to most each week. I like how they reinvented it into a caper show this year, and I can't wait to see how it all plays out. Every week there's a new twist or a WTF moment... and that works for me. I also like the cast dynamic a great deal (alhough Michael Rappaport is starting to wear on me).

Oh yeah... I DID miss SWC last season, and I'm glad she's back!

If I were to guess, I'd say that Michael's mother is working to undo The Company from the inside and will end up teaming up with Mike and Linc to bring The General and Company down (maybe with a little help from Lisa Tabak as well). I also predict that Sucre will be back in the fold prior to the finale.

As an aside, wasn't it great to see Charles (aka DB Cooper) again last week -- even if it was only in Michael's mind?

December 24 2008 at 1:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Galley

Michael Rapaport was good in "The War at Home", but he's horrible in Prison Break.

December 23 2008 at 10:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Galley's comment
Zach

Also Beautiful Girls. Great movie, especially a young Natalie Portman.

But I agree as well, he is awful in Prison Break.

December 24 2008 at 11:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Aj

I loved Rappaport's line in the season finale "you're a whore....you're mother's a whore.......you're father's a whore...."

BTW hopefully the 2 extra episodes air, as after the show, it said the final 6 episodes air next Spring.

December 23 2008 at 7:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
McNulty

I hoped that this season would be a return to form for PB.Some episodes were good.However,i must say that this season is disappointing.Prison Break should have ended after the first or at least the second season.

December 23 2008 at 5:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply