July 31, 2014

Here's why that Arrested Development movie is being held up

by Bob Sassone, posted Dec 26th 2008 3:21PM
Michael Cera
It does look like that Arrested Development movie will get made at some point, some way, some how. But it's not a given that every single member of the cast will be in the film. There have been many reports that the only cast member holding out is Michael Cera, who played George Michael. Is it because he doesn't want to go back to something he already finished? Is it because he has a movie career (Superbad, Nick and Nora's Infinite Playlist, Youth in Revolt, etc)?

Creator Mitchell Hurwitz puts an end to the stories and rumors in this interview with Fancast. He says that...uh, yeah, actually, Cera is the one holding up the film.

He says that there were rumors going around that Will Arnett and Cera were the only ones not signed to the film but says in regards to Cera, "I don't want to talk about who is holding out right now because we might still work that out and I don't want to pressure anyone through the press. Although I will say that Will Arnett is gung-ho, so there's a big clue!"

If I were a betting man I'd say that Cera will do the film. This is probably less a "holdout" than it is simply Cera deciding what he wants to do.

[via Defamer]

Jennifer

If you think about it, the show could just recast him, the way they did that girlfriend...

January 02 2009 at 7:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bob S.

Maeby he's holding out for a scene with some hot cousin-lovin'.

When AD was good, it was as good as TV gets, but when AD was bad, it sucked like nothing had ever sucked before... cf. Martin Short and Julia Louis-Dreyfus's episodes. I'm happy with the DVDs and the knowledge that certain episodes should never be seen again.

January 01 2009 at 1:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Bob S.'s comment
adrian

Bob go back to the copy room, no one cares what you think.

January 02 2009 at 1:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Andy

He's made a huge mistake

December 28 2008 at 9:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Andy's comment
YouFaceTheTick

"Maybe it's love?"

"Dammit, Michael, I know what an erection feels like!"

December 28 2008 at 1:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
adrian

Yeah he should get out of the biz after this movie, because people might soon realise that he keeps playing that same shy-deer caught in the headlights character.

December 28 2008 at 3:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Snogrog

I don't think it's money or anything like that. In a recent article he said he was seriously considering just quitting acting because he's getting tired of it. I'm one of the biggest AD fans ever and I respect his choice if he's thinking about quitting because I'm sure he's sick of hearing stuff like most of these commenters are saying about him. But I do wish he'd do it as a final movie if he were thinking of getting out of the biz.

December 27 2008 at 12:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matthew Golem

He should be replaced by Ron Howard.

December 27 2008 at 10:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ed

Why all the negativity? I have a lot of faith in Mitch Hurwitz to deliver a script that could lead to an amazing comedy in the cinema, and we don't get enough of them anymore. When you're in the cinema you keep your attention on the screen and story (which isn't always the case with TV), and a strong plot with these amazing characters could really give us a knockout film for both fans and newbies alike. When did you last see a decent comedy in the cinema?

It can likely be made for a low budget and has a built-in audience, and if it's quality is amazing then it will get rave reviews and a lot of buzz. Roll on the Bluths!

December 27 2008 at 10:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bruce

I love AD - probably my favorite comedy of all time. But I have mixed feelings about them making an AD movie. Yes it could be fantastic. But the format, with the documentary-style camera and the humorous cutaways ... well I just can't see that translating to the big screen. Will it just be a big 2 hour episode of AD, analogous to the Simpsons Movie? Or will it be a whole independent feature with the AD characters?

I just don't know what to think. If it's made, I will see it. No question about that. I'd just rather the show get renewed and be given another season. Why can't it be resurrected like Family Guy? It's a helluva lot funnier than Family Guy. My gut tells me that Mitchel Hurwitz should just move on, though. AD was too smart for the average dumbass fat American. The number one show of all time on Comedy Central was Jeff Dunham's two-hour farting puppet ventriloquist show. Arrested Development would still be on the air if the characters just farted and bopped each other on the heads with random objects. Americans want Terrance and Phillip, not South Park.

I hate you all.

December 27 2008 at 4:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
YouFaceTheTick

Hopefully Cera will hold out and they will NEVER make this movie. There are some things the world needs. There some thing that were great once and can never be repeated in another media format. Arrested Development: the Movie is not needed and it will not be good in movie format. It was a fantastic TV show - one of the best ever. like Cheers, it should never see the inside of a cinema. Ever.

December 26 2008 at 11:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jim

That little pot-head!

I seriously hope he comes onboard. He must know how strong the material is likely to be, and this could be the Must-See comedy of the decade. Why he would turn his back on one of the greatest shows on TV is beyond me, and sadly it makes me like him less as I will always hold it against him if he says no. Come on Michael Cera! Everyone - creator, cast, crew, fans, is onboard. Make us happy!

December 26 2008 at 9:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply