April 20, 2014

Classic TV to get stamped

by Brad Trechak, posted Dec 30th 2008 2:06PM
TV stampsFor all you television fans (and I suspect at least one or two read this site) who are also stamp collectors, there is good news. The United States Postal Service is releasing a set of stamps in 2009 commemorating classic American television shows.

I do like the retro design of the stamps and how each looks like an old picture tube. I see a lot of familiar faces in there, including Phil Silvers, Howdy Doody, Rod Serling, Alfred Hitchcock, The Honeymooners, I Love Lucy and many others. Did they miss anybody?

I think the Postal Service isn't going far enough with this. They should release stamps commemorating television shows for each year, or perhaps more appropriately each television era. For the 70's they could include M*A*S*H and All In The Family. For the 80's they could include Knight Rider and The A Team. At least, they would be included if I designed the stamps.

bcarter3

I don't see the Jack Benny Show, "Your Hit Parade", Sid Ceasar, "American Bandstand", "Superman", or Ernie Kovacs. And for some reason, they seem not to have included any game shows....

December 30 2008 at 4:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Toby O\'B

The stamp honoring 'I Love Lucy' should have included Ricky and Fred. The picture of them all in the car together would have worked.

And 'The Honeymooners' - where's Alice and Trixie?

I can understand why you don't see Burr Tillstrom in the one for 'Kukla, Fran and Ollie', but at least we know he's the genius behind the curtain.

It looks like the cut-off for being considered a classic was 1959, which is why 'The Twilight Zone' is honored, but not 'The Dick Van Dyke Show'. But I would have included 'The Captain Kangaroo Show'!

December 30 2008 at 4:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Donna

Hmmm, I believe the 10 year rule is correct. Which brings up another interesting point. On the picture shown here (and also on the USPS website) I distinctly see Art Carney in a stamp, and he's only been dead 5 years. So if that image is indeed what the Honeymooners stamp will be (a picture of Gleason and Carney), then the rules are being bent a bit.

On the other hand, since the stamp isn't specifically honoring Art Carney himself, but the TV show, maybe that's how they're getting by with it.

December 30 2008 at 4:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Donna's comment
Doctor Philately

Although the 10 year rule was correct, it was changed this year by the United States Postal Service (their motto: the old rule was getting in the way) to a five year rule. Consistent with that, you will also see the Postal Service issue a Bob Hope commemorative in 2009 (Mr. Hope died in 2003).

December 30 2008 at 4:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
joeedwards

Awesome! I always get a kick of Ricky screaming Lucy! I can't wait to find these!

December 30 2008 at 3:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bob Sassone

No Dick Van Dyke or Mary Tyler Moore? Lame.

December 30 2008 at 2:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Bob Sassone's comment
Galley

Both are still alive and kicking.

December 30 2008 at 5:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brad Trechak

Joel, that's for sainthood. To be on a U.S. stamp, you have to be dead for 10 years (except for U.S. presidents, where it's only a year). Kind of ironic when you think about it. Would careers count as being dead for 10 years? In that case, the 70's and 80's could easily be covered.

December 30 2008 at 1:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joel Keller

Maybe the newer shows can't be made into stamps because everyone on them is still alive. You can't be on a US stamp until you've been dead five years, right?

December 30 2008 at 10:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply