November 27, 2014

What are your TV New Year's resolutions?

by Bob Sassone, posted Dec 30th 2008 3:00PM
Fringe
Every year around this time we all make our New Year's resolutions. We're going to lose weight, stop smoking, not bite our nails, be nicer to each other, make more money, and generally become the most perfect, awesome people in the world. It doesn't usually work out, of course, and we're forced to come up with more realistic resolutions ("I cut down on the number of mocha lattes I have each day from 5 to 4!").

But we can make TV resolutions too. Here are mine.

• I resolve to watch Fringe again. I watched the first couple of episodes and I kinda liked it, but decided to watch other things at that time and not even record it (there's just so much head space we have for TV shows). But I've heard so many good things about later episodes that I want to at least check out the ones I missed and see what all of the fuss is about.
  • I resolve not to watch American Idol this season. I made this resolution last year too, but found myself caught up in the show: the different personalities of the final 10, the odd antics of Paula Abdul, the David vs. David battle. But this season...no way!
  • I resolve to give both Jimmy Fallon and Conan O'Brien a fair shake. They're both going to have new late night jobs, and my first reaction is to say that Conan just won't fit into the Tonight Show mold and Fallon can't host a late night show at all. But that's unfair so I'll give them a chance.
  • And speaking of late night TV, I resolve to record more late night shows and watch them the next day. I'm getting too old to stay up until 1am every night and then get up at 6.

What are your TV resolutions (if you have any)?

Mel

I resolve to watching 24 and Dollhouse and the last episodes of Prison Break

January 03 2009 at 3:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jennifer

I need to cut more series loose faster if they are on the "vaguely interesting, but mostly boring" level. I was watching something like 15 shows regularly this season and most of them I am not that excited about.

January 02 2009 at 7:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
christiancounselor

I would like to resolve to continue to watch as little TV as possible.

January 01 2009 at 10:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
AussieFoodShop

For me as i've noticed I've found that I'm much less annoyed if I don't watch any auditions, where they get you invested in people who won't even get a shot on the show is that not true? I also detest the lampooning of the freaks i often see. http://www.AussieFoodShop.com

January 01 2009 at 4:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
psychologist gerald solfanelli

According to the American Psychological Association (APA), the most popular New Year's resolutions are losing weight, quitting smoking, and exercising more regularly. Unfortunately, almost sixty percent of those who make resolutions give up, within the first six months. Nevertheless, chances are that if you do make a resolution, you will be ten times more likely to prevail over those without the resolve.

Not only do our feelings actually dictate our actions, but we are more likely to sustain our change in behavior out of a desire for pleasure, over an avoidance of pain. To succeed with resolutions, therefore, it is vital to pair enough emotional pain to the old behaviors, AND enough emotional pleasure with the new behaviors. A smoker, for example, might be better off dwelling less on the depictions of mouth and lung cancers, in favor of imagining how good it will feel to breathe easier as well as to have more energy, freedom and pride in the healthy accomplishment.

Having a plan is also key to any behavioral change. Fortunately, the Internet affords an amazing array of self-help tools. For FREE software and audio meditation downloads to manage stress; additional APA information on New Year's Resolutions; FREE best-selling ebooks on weight-loss, exercise and smoking cessation; as well as links to other select online tools for behavioral change, visit http://www.QuitForFree.com.

December 31 2008 at 5:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Daune Calovini

I am still not on board with watching shows on my computer. I have a nice big TV with HD, thank you. I resolve to get caught up or just give up on shows that have whole seasons on my DVR (Mad Men, Greek), and make final determinations based on DVD boxed sets I got for Christmas on shows that might be worth catching up on (Battlestar, Damages, Saving Grace).

As for American Idol, I've found that I'm much less annoyed if I don't watch any auditions, where they get you invested in people who won't even get a shot on the show. I also detest the lampooning of freaks. I've found the last two or three seasons quite enjoyable when I don't start watching until it's "for reals." Just a tip.

December 31 2008 at 5:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joanna

Ditto catching up on my DVR shows and watching Arrested Development. I may finally give How I Met Your Mother a look.

December 31 2008 at 2:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alex Farquharson

I started watching 'Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson' halfway through last year. . . this year I vow to record EVERY episode (compliments of DVR). Also re-watch 'Dexter' seasons 1-(now 3, since I do this every year since its release)

December 30 2008 at 11:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MERVE-THE-PERVE

I will continue to not watch new shows on the big 4 nets until year 3. If it gets a 3rd year I'll catch up and start watching. If a show makes it 3 years it will usually go the distance. Of course if by some miracle I am selected by Nielsen to participate in their outdated ratings system, I will catch up on the good shows immediately and make sure they get counted. And I will make sure that no reality, According To Jim, or Leno is watched at my house.

December 30 2008 at 8:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to MERVE-THE-PERVE's comment
Brent McKee

You will continue to doom new series if you continue to follow this rule.

December 31 2008 at 3:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Zach

Merve, I made a similar resolution a few years ago after favorite new shows were given the axe. It's worked out quite well so far, all though I'm making exceptions for a couple new shows just to support my favorite directors.

The new show I'm watching is Fringe (which at this point I don't care too much if it gets canceled) and I will start watching Doll House (even though I don't have high hopes for it).

I did the same thing last year w the Terminator series cause of Summer Glau (which has worked out quite well), and Bionic Woman (which at the end didn't care if it was canceled cause I stopped watching). It looks like network excecs might be starting to change and give shows longer to build an audience though. Hopefully that trend will continue.

One of my new years resolutions is to finally check out How I Met Your Mother, and The Big Bang Theory. Looks like CBS is pushing both of those shows, so it looks like they'll last a while. Another is to continue not to watch reality crap, except for Big Brother just cause there's nothing on in the summer.

And Brent, I would agree with you if you were a Nielsen family but if you aren't I don't see an issue with it. I got sick of seeing favorite new shows canceled one after another so I'll just wait till they're in the 2nd or 3rd season to catch up.

December 31 2008 at 11:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brad

I resolve to finally watch 'Arrested Development'. I have the whole series, just haven't watched it.

December 30 2008 at 7:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply