July 30, 2014

Would you watch Scrubs sans Zach Braff?

by Mike Moody, posted Dec 30th 2008 6:08PM
zach braff scrubsIt's a question worth asking as we approach the show's supposed final season.

In an article that ran in yesterday's New York Times, Scrubs creator Bill Lawrence confirmed that ABC, the show's new home, might continue the show in some form after the upcoming eighth season. As we reported in November, star Zach Braff and Lawrence are both leaving Scrubs after season eight, even if the show continues. I'm not opposed to the idea of keeping the show going without them, but I got one question -- What would a Braff and Lawrence-free Scrubs look like?

"It would have to be like Frasier was to Cheers, " Lawrence told the NYT.

So a spinoff? Maybe, maybe not. Lawrence told TV Squad in May that the show might continue in a different incarnation, but that doesn't exactly mean spinoff.

Most spinoffs, like Frasier, usually take one or two cast members from the original show and move them to a new setting. I don't think that's what's gonna happen here. I certainly wouldn't want to lose Turk (Donald Faison), Cox (John C. McGinley), Elliot (Sarah Chalke) or any of the other unhinged hospital employees, and I'm betting that ABC would like to keep them too. According to the NYT article, Braff said he's willing to provide voice-overs for the show should it be renewed, and Lawrence said he likes the idea of keeping the Scrubs cast employed after season eight. It sounds like we might get a continuation rather than a proper spinoff, which is fine by me.

The eighth season will introduce a new crew of interns to the hospital. Lawrence said these fresh faces aren't there to replace anyone; they're just a new element to the show. But Lawrence already said these new characters would be a big part of a spinoff/continuation plan. Will one of them be the new J.D.? Should anyone be the new J.D.? Do you want to see a Scrubs: The Next Generation, or would you rather the show focus on the current characters and their evolving lives?

The new season of Scrubs starts January 6 on ABC.

Mat

I am unsure; although I believe Zach Braff is the weakest cast member (to the point where he annoys me - watch one of his YouTube vids one day), he is important as the straight guy.

Especially when in scenes with the brilliant McGinley.

January 25 2009 at 3:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brent

I have loved Scrubs for years, but, too, have gotten very sick of JD and the lesser quality episodes in the last couple seasons. I like Elizabeth Banks, but once she came into the show, I think it was a dud. I would be excited to see the show continue without JD, as long as they don't try to replace him. That 70's Show was still good after Eric left, until they threw in the new loser, which immediately killed the show. I think they could have a few decent seasons left as long as they keep Janitor and Dr. Cox and such (even though apparently Janitor is already gone).

January 07 2009 at 12:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Blake

You can't get rid of the main character, who has provided 95% of the first person narrative for eight seasons, and the creator/showrunner on a new network who will only continue ordering more episodes because it's a guaranteed source of revenue and expect the show to somehow be as good or better than it has been for the last 2 seasons, which have been horrid. It sounds like it's going to be "Scrubs:the new class"

January 06 2009 at 11:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jproductions17

I love Scrubs, it's one of my favorite TV series, and yes it hasn't been as good as it once was but this new season is suppose to be promising with Lawrence toning down the overused silliness, but its time Scrubs ended. It's had a good, long run, especially for a show that has always struggled with ratings, and it doesn't need to continue anymore. I guess I'd be ok with a spinoff, but the series Scrubs itself has to end with this season. A continuation would make no sense considering the entire show revolves around J.D. Yes its all the different background characters that make the show, but Scrubs is about J.D.'s journey as a doctor. The whole show is just a visual representation of J.D.'s diary shown in the episode when the Janitor steals it and Lawrence has also commented on it in the past.

January 02 2009 at 1:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim

From what I have seen I don't think the show would be the same without him. Hey if you like TV Shows like Scrubs and other Classic TV check this out: www.sentinelvideoltd.com

January 01 2009 at 6:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
AussieFoodShop

i like it. some people who have seen advance episodes of this new season say that they're actually recapturing some of the goodness of the early seasons, so we'll see. again time will tell. http://www.AussieFoodShop.com

January 01 2009 at 4:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matt

I'd probably give it a shot, but I know I'd be far less interested than I am now.

It's nothing against the other actors, really. I just feel that there's a time to bring things to an end, and it's about that time for Scrubs. Not to mention that I'm generally a proponent of the idea that if the star leaves the show, it's time to call it quits.

I've no doubt that a halfway decent show could come out of this, but I don't feel like it would be Scrubs anymore. Braff is a part of what makes the formula work (although certainly not the only part) and I'm not sure that it would work as well without him.

And if they DO continue into a ninth season, I sincerely hope that Braff moves on completely - no voice overs. The point of the voice overs is that it both keeps us with our POV character and unites the disparate stories in each episode, so J.D.'s narration without J.D. would be unusual. If they're going to do it they need to pick a new POV character and run with it.

December 31 2008 at 8:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
knee.here

the most interesting part of the article:

Todd is no longer allowed to wear the thong-style swimsuit he occasionally wore on NBC.

"That was an actual edict from the head of standards at Disney," he said

December 31 2008 at 3:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bruce

No Lowe left after Season 4, at the same time Sorkin left the west wing. Left at the same time.

December 31 2008 at 1:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to bruce's comment
Anna

Actually, Lowe left mid-season 4, Sorkin left at the end of season 4.

December 31 2008 at 3:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply