December 21, 2014

Conan close to making LA move

by Danny Gallagher, posted Jan 5th 2009 9:02AM
If you live in New York (first of all, you have my deepest sympathy) and you've been itching to catch Late Night with Conan O'Brien in person since you moved out there to pursue some crazy dream that will only leave you penniless, heartbroken and homeless, your time is running out.

The big-headed one will film his last show in the New York studio on Feb. 20, according to the show's website.

And since he leaves no corner of his little universe jokeless, anyone can get tickets to his remaining New York shows by shooting an email to conangobyebye@nbc.com.

Even if you aren't in New York, Conan's brief but bitter absence will be felt across the nation. O'Brien won't start until June 1, which means he'll be in rerunville until his new show starts.

Also, we'll have to learn to like the new Jimmy Fallon show. It's a smart move on the network's part because it doesn't rush Conan into a new timeslot and new show. It also gives viewers time to adjust to the Fallon show, as well as build some tension and hope for Conan's new show.

Of course, all of this has been overshadowed by NBC's desperate and gutless move to keep Jay Leno on the network by giving him another time slot before these two have had a chance to strike while the iron is hot. NBC, sometimes if you love something, you have to learn to let it go. Every guy who's gone to his high school prom learned that lesson.

LAV

Three faces I can't stand to look at are Bill Clinton, Al Gore and Cohan O'Brien. What a bunch of jurks. Maybe the former Gov. of IL. might be another one. ....But don't listen to me, I'm the one who thinks "Hillary" is a Fox.

February 18 2009 at 4:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bernlarry

Sorry, NYC fans...Conan O'Brien is a freak. I ran into him and his lackeys on the day he got married here in Seattle. His boys and he were walking down Pike Street at 10am, no doubt looking for a bar. C.B., there are NO bars open on Pike Street on a Saturday morning at 10am. They probably found a 7-11 and bought an overpriced 24 oz. can of something and drank it in an alley. Even though I am older than he, I said, "congratulations on your marriage today, Mr. O'Brien." He didn't even look at me when he replied, "oh, yeah, thanks." Like, "who the "f" are you, and why are you talking to me?"

The inner politics of NBC/GE passed over Carson Daly for Jimmy Fallon. Good. So Jay Leno and Fallon can throw water at each other the other night?

May "The Tonight Show" and "Late Night" R.I.P.

January 25 2009 at 7:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ac

Your from Boston aren't you?

January 05 2009 at 4:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JoshR

I love living in NYC. But I'm not going to degrade another city to show how great my hometown is. I just enjoy it.

I also know you're making a joke by writing what you wrote. It's okay... I have a few friends that hate living here. So they'll appreciate your sympathy, I suppose!

January 05 2009 at 1:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan

How very "edgy" of you to trash NY and people pursuing a dream.

And as someone who's lived in NY and LA, I'll take NY any time. I don't have the faintest idea what your problem is. Way to alienate some your readers by trashing their home.

Ridiculous

January 05 2009 at 12:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Katie

Yes, why exactly are you sympathetic to all New Yorkers?

January 05 2009 at 11:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
const

"If you live in New York (first of all, you have my deepest sympathy)"

As opposed to where? This is the greatest city there is. Surely LA is not a better place to live.

January 05 2009 at 11:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply