December 20, 2014

NASCAR Wives coming to TLC

by Brad Trechak, posted Jan 6th 2009 12:02PM
NASCARTLC will begin airing yet another new reality show. This one will capitalize on the fame of NASCAR by following the lives of several wives of famous NASCAR drivers. Between this and the animated Jeff Foxworthy show, NASCAR would certainly be a household name if it weren't already.

It's interesting how they're trying to combine the male-skewing genre of NASCAR with the female-skewing genre of the "wives" reality-TV subculture. It could be seen as an attempt to get a certain type of wife to understand her husband a little better. Perhaps now they could go to NASCAR shows together and each recognize their own brand of celebrity.

While I don't follow it, I can understand the appeal of NASCAR. Not everybody can play hoops or football at a professional level. However, to drive in NASCAR you only need to be able to drive fast and make lots of turns (mostly left). I've seen a myriad of drivers on New Jersey highways that could qualify.

Europa

I told you so Brad.

Thank you Judy and MrWeen! Very, very well put. As a NASCAR fan that just happens to be a female I also know about all the facts you've mention. I thought to point them out myself but I then thought, "Nah, I'll let someone else do it this time." Sometimes it's more fun to watch the zingers fly than tossing them yourself. Besides with me being a simple, helpless, delicate female and all - just like all those NASCAR wives, you know. Thanks guys. 

"I had to reread your closing paragraph to see if I could sense any sarcasm. Unfortunately all I sensed was ignorance."

Haaaaaa! That one made me to laugh out loud.

January 07 2009 at 1:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MrWeen

Oh Brad. I used to be like you. Then I started watching NASCAR and guess what, Judy is right. Not only are these drivers athletes but it is a team sport with many people involved in getting a car to win a race. There is quite a bit of strategy involved (tinkering with the car for different race tracks, when to pit, what to do when you pit, etc.).

As well I bet this show will be quite successful since NASCAR is the fastest growing sport when it comes to the female demographic. So your comments about male or female skewered audiences is incorrect.

There's this great new tool for doing research on things you want to write about. You should check it out. It's called the INTERNET.

January 06 2009 at 7:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Judy

While I would not compare the physical conditioning and athleticism of , say, football players to that of NASCAR drivers, your smug dismissal of any athleticism involved in the sport must be addressed. Studies have shown that there is more involved with the drivers than simply driving and making left turns.

On turns, NASCAR drivers can experience 3 Gs of force against their bodies, comparable to the forces pressing down on shuttle astronauts at liftoff.

In a race, a NASCAR driver maintains the same heart rate -120-150 beats per minute for 3-plus hours - as a serious marathon runner for about the same length of time.

A study in "anticipatory timing" found race car drivers to possess the same ability to anticipate what was going to happen as a hockey goalie or a quarterback.

Drivers can lose 5-10 pounds in sweat during a race.

Temperatures in the car often exceed 100 degrees, reaching as much as 170 degrees by the floorboards.

Your comments make it obvious that you don't follow the sport. Aside from the pudgy Tony Stewart, I would say that most of the drivers nowadays are in pretty good physical condition. And I would even go as far as saying that some are in better condition than some football players. Think defensive lineman. Think Albert Haynesworth, for instance.

I think there is room for all sport and even if you don't "get" one, you should keep your disparaging remarks to yourself. Especially when you do not know what you are talking about.

January 06 2009 at 3:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Zachary

Does anyone else remember the days when TLC was like what Discovery is now? i.e. informative.

January 06 2009 at 2:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Europa

"However, to drive in NASCAR you only need to be able to drive fast and make lots of turns (mostly left)."

Boy, get ready to here from fans about that comment - both male *and* female.

January 06 2009 at 12:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Europa's comment
Butters

No problem there Europa, Nascar fans don't know how to use computers!

I joke, I joke...